Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
And a question for Wendy… or any European really… Americans go on vacations for the holidays… do you go on holidays for the holidays?
No, because for us the word 'holiday' only means what you call a vacation. smile So I go on holiday, or I have a holiday from work. That's all. We don't call festive or holy times of year 'holidays' - shudder. wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Well, I had tried to reply earlier, but my reply wouldn't come out as I wanted. Basically (given that in my country Christianity has played a major role in our history - if you want details, just ask - and that I am an Orthodox Christian), I believe that the celebrations should depend on the existing laws on religion: If the country is considered a 'Christian' country, then Christian holidays should be holidays. Same goes for Islamic countries etc.. That said, individuals can get their own holidays. A shop owner might choose not to operate their shop during a day they consider a holiday. I suppose that a clerk can ask for a one-day vacation from their boss (or, hell, call in sick for once! goofy ) As for decorations and stuff, I believe everyone should do as they wish, but the officials must have drawn a line and act according to it, keeping into consideration the beliefs of the citizens.

Also, some said that they don't regard Christmas as a Christian holiday, but rather like a season when they can celebrate love etc.. If you have a holiday from work anyway, sure, why not celebrate? Besides, with the new year and all, it's logical. But then it's not *Christmas*, right? It's just 'the holidays' or something to that effect, and it sounds absurd to me that an atheist, for example, would celebrate Christmas meaning that they'd exchange gifts and would have a party, without anything related to Christ. huh

I'm sure this didn't come out as I wanted. Whatever. I tried.

One more thing I noticed:

but the early Christians were Catholic.
We Orthodoxes believe that the early Christians were Orthodoxes and that the Catholics have altered the original Christian faith. Not trying to start a fight here, just thought that you'd like to keep this in mind for future reference, Laura. A perfect example of how everyone thinks they're right and that the 'others' are wrong.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Top Banana
Top Banana
do you go on holidays for the holidays
Yeah, I'm going to bore on about this, too <g>. See, 'the holidays' is a phrase that just doesn't exist in colloquial British English, so your question doesn't resonate with us cranky, nitpicking Brits laugh . In fact, maybe I need a clarification. Does 'the holidays' only refer to Christmas? Can Easter be 'the holidays'? Can you wish someone 'Happy Holidays' and mean either 'Happy Christmas' or 'Happy Easter'? What about a day like 4th July or Thanksgiving?

Yvonne

Merriwether
Merriwether
Any recognized day when business offices are closed are official holidays, to Americans. This includes 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day, and Thanksgiving. Easter, itself, isn't a business holiday, but it's a holiday all the same.

"Happy Holidays" refers to the December season lasting from Thankgiving-ish or Hannukah (insert your spelling here) all the way to New Years Day, and slightly beyond for those celebrating Twelfth Night and other early January holidays. At least, in my thinking. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
But then it's not *Christmas*, right? It's just 'the holidays' or something to that effect, and it sounds absurd to me that an atheist, for example, would celebrate Christmas meaning that they'd exchange gifts and would have a party, without anything related to Christ.
Yes, it is Christmas. It's just a secular Christmas - ie, you celebrate certain aspects of the religious festival because you respect and agree with the spirit they seek to embrace. This is what my Christian parents gave to me, and for which I'm very grateful: I live by many Christian values even though I'm an aetheist, because I believe they're generally a good way to live a life that's courteous, generous of spirit, and respectful of other people's beliefs and values.

So I reserve the right to celebrate Christmas and call it Christmas, even though I don't believe in the Christmas story. Heck, I can even sing Christmas carols with conviction, because the tunes and harmony are so wonderful - Christmas has inspired some truly great compositions and arrangements over the years.

Yvonne smile

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Well, Yvonne... laugh

Guess Karen beat me to it :p

The plural of holiday, to my knowledge, only comes about during the end of the year known as the "holiday season." I'm guessing because there are a few holidays in a row -- Thanksgiving (which I've had trouble understanding with all the controversy of "indian" and the "white man"... to put it simply and unpolitically correct laugh ), Christmas, and New Year's. I guess one might even throw Halloween in there too. Other days such as Veteran's Day (my birthday goofy

PS - Found this... but it's not what I would call a "reliable" source <g>:

'Happy Holidays' originated not 10 years ago and has nothing to do with New Years. Do a Google for it and you'll find that we use the phrase to avoid offending people, because it's suddenly a crime or something to celebrate Christmas - it's political correctness at its worst. Christmas is a FEDERAL HOLIDAY ... everyone has off, whether you sit around a tree and open presents, or eat Chinese food and go to a movie, or whatever. Why the hell CAN'T we say Merry Christmas without offending people? Saying 'Happy 4th of July' doesn't offend anyone ...
Tried the google thing and haven't found anything yet... I'll let you know if I do. wink

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's just 'the holidays' or something to that effect, and it sounds absurd to me that an atheist, for example, would celebrate Christmas meaning that they'd exchange gifts and would have a party, without anything related to Christ.
Doesn't seem at all absurd to this atheist/agnostic.

Despite my mother ensuring I had full access to Christian learning and activities when I was a child, it just never 'took'. From my earliest memories I can remember knowing this was not for me. So, as I grew up, I never really associated Christmas with Christ. More with elements of the pagan winter festival on which Christians based Christmas and just a general sense of peace and goodwill to all and the embracing of family. All notions which I've never considered exclusive to any religion.

So it tends to make perfect sense to me. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, time for the weird 4am garble to come out of my mouth, so this may only make sense to me. Here's what I've noticed in my town, and here's what I think Christmas is about.

Even as a Christian, honestly I've never seen a lot of Christ in this holiday to begin with. I mean, yeah, I went to mass on Christmas Eve, and the little school kids acted out the story of Jesus' birth. It was adorable of course and put me in the holiday spirit. (There was this kid who played the star, and his face poked out of this yellow star-shaped monstrosity as big as him...so cute!) There's of course the usual Christian decorations, too...nativity scenes, Advent wreaths, etc. But anyway...that's about all I see as far as Christ goes. It's not like I'm even seeing extra church stuff going on they way we do with Easter. Leading up to Easter, there's extra masses, more opportunities for sacraments, and more community involvement. So when I'm not even seeing anything worthwhile in my own church about Christmas, I don't particularly see a reason to whine and complain when the government won't let me...put up a nativity scene inside the Post Office, to have an example throughout this post.

Random thought: Isn't Christmas originally a pagan holiday anyway or something? Or at least some traditions stem from paganism. It's not like we made this stuff up from scratch.

So I suppose this just isn't that important of a Christian celebration for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing it at all. It just doesn't rank first for me as far as Christian stuff goes. (Nor does it rank last.) And I think Christmas is whatever you make of it. If you personally don't feel like there's enough Christ in this holiday season, there's plenty you can do on your own or with others without stuffing it down everyone's throats. Community service, a special prayer with loved ones on Christmas day, whatever you can think of. When we all start arguing over whether or not I can put up my nativity scene inside the Post Office...it's just a nativity scene, and I wouldn't whine about it to begin with...for me personally, I see a lot more to Christmas than just some cardboard decorations we all fight over. I understand completely that this is an important holy day for some people who want to shout it from the rooftops and decorate like the Griswolds (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...hilarious movie), but...tough. Not everyone's Christian, and we need to respect that.

Easter's the most important Christian day anyway for me. As long as Christ stays there, I'm happy. wink

Peace,
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
'Happy Holidays' originated not 10 years ago
rotflol That's funny, considering the song "Happy Holidays" was written by Irving Berlin more than 50 years ago.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm an Anglican by birth (Episcopalian, for the North Americans)
I never knew that. I'm *suppose* to be Anglican, but religion is not part of my life. I've gone years w/o even thinking of it. I know they have churches here w/ both stuff in the title, but I never knew they were the same!

I've read, watch the documentaries, read discussions, done the academic thing (yes I cannot spell even though!) and I'm familiar with the whole issue. I don't want anything to change and it is fun that everyone celebrates it in their own way. I get a sad though when some people think it should be one way and that's it and everyone else should just suck it up. It is a sad that many cultures where lost and ended up sort of being mixed up for various reasons, but at least now we realize *some* of those cultures that are now gone have left a bit of their mark during the winter season.

LINK - Hope it is somewhat accurate.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Easter's the most important Christian day anyway for me. As long as Christ stays there, I'm happy.
Since I am uncomfortable with religion - for me it is all about the chocolate, bunnies and sort of a celebration of the warmer months yet to come.

I understand the religious significance, but I'd feel wrong celebrating the regligion I am not apart of, feel uncomfortable with, and not believe in. I would also be sad if people where told they could not celebrate their religious Easter.

For me, I go to my Mother-in-Laws and my Grandparents for a bite to eat. My Mum in law will go to Church (like every other Sunday - RCath.) and bug her son's to come and well they won't. While I just get hyper on my chocolate and look out the window for the white bunny that my Mum always said came. (It happened three times when I was little and now it is a joke that he comes every year).

Hey...where did my other post go? I put one up about Xmas. Geesh I'm loosing it!

EDIT - weird...it is there now! (I wanted to put this w/ that one. Oh well)

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Target stores ban the Salvation Army kettles.
I didn’t know this and it saddens me. I was wondering why the bell ringing had ceased in its excessiveness. I really can’t understand why.
Target has always had a "no solicitors" policy, which the SA was the sole exception to. However, they were getting complaints from other groups, so they decided to apply the policy to everyone equally.

From the horse\'s mouth

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard