Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234616 12/09/04 07:06 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I was taught that "Xmas" was a sign that the world was going atheist. What do you think?

~•~
#234617 12/09/04 07:17 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, as an athiest/agnostic, I'm probably not the one to say. goofy

I usually try to think twice about using Xmas, because I know it offends some people.

But quite often it slips in and I forget. It's just another piece of shorthand to me - quicker to type.

I used to solve that one by referring to the origins of the festival instead and calling it Yule or Yuletide. But half the time no one knew what I was talking about or assumed I was a Pagan. laugh So gave that one up.

Not that I would mind being a Pagan - if I was going to follow a religion that might well be it. But it was less than factual. Besides, being a Pagan to them consisted of endlessly teasing me about dancing naked in fields, laugh so....

LabRat smile

PS - Neither of the first two answers quite applied, since I don't know either way - so was forced to click on the drugs one just to see the results. Don't really think you're on them though, Mary. <G>

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#234618 12/09/04 07:27 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Okay, I was going to say "lay off the drugs" wink , but XMAS really does have a real meaning that is actually ritualistic -- or so I was taught in Catholic school. It isn't at all that the world is becoming Athiest.

I am not Greek, so i really have no idea if this is true or not, but I was taught than in Greek, the word for Christ is Xtos, and so X is the greek letter Chi, and it parallels the abreviation Xtian, or christian. Chi Rho is one of the oldest symbols for Christ. Therefore, Xmas is a very religious way to say "christmas" not at all for the commercial world to turn it into a completely secular holiday.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#234619 12/09/04 09:01 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
And I thought "Xmas" was just an abbreviation because people were too lazy to write out the whole word! smile1 Thanks for the clarification, Laura!!!

I chose the 'drug' option too!

#234620 12/09/04 09:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
*picks LabRat some daffodils* laugh

I too was taught in school by a nun, that XMas was disrespectful. I didn't think so at the time, but if that's the way it is viewed (as I see it still seems to be) I just spell out 'Christmas' instead.

Of course, I didn't know that Laura. smile
I don't think the nun knew that. laugh

That sounds interesting, but I still probably won't use XMas since that's the way it's still usually viewed, as "not appropriate", bla bla bla.

So for the sake of my communicating, I simply just use Christmas. laugh

#234621 12/09/04 09:10 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I always thought Xmas was an abbreviation, also. The reasoning in my head was the X was a cross, and Christ died on a cross... so it was the lazy way of typing it out.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#234622 12/09/04 09:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm in the camp that always thought Xmas was just an abbreviation. But my interpretation was:

X = Criss cross
Xmas = Crissmas (bad spelling of Christmas)

And, too, I was always taught that it was disrespectful to use it as it even further removed the holiday from the true religious origins toward the secular, commercial broohaha it is today. I don't have a problem with it myself, but I don't write it on something anyone else would see as I don't wish to offend.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#234623 12/09/04 09:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm with Laura here. I don't know a lot of Greek, but I was taught that Xmas originated from the Greek word for Christ which is Xristos, or Kristos, or haowever you want to spell it out. I *think* the 15-16th century Europeans starting using Xmas as an abbreviation. So yeah, poeple got lazy wink , but they still had good intentions in the religious sense, I guess.

Ciao,
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#234624 12/09/04 11:03 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
How fascinating! I didn't have that much curiosity about its origins, I'll confess. But when I did think about it I always just made the same assumption as Karen - that the X stood for the cross.

You learn something new....

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#234625 12/09/04 11:44 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Jen, you are totally right, but it isn't even lazy. It really does stem back to the Roman empire. The first two letters in the word Christ in Greek are Chi (X) Rho (p) and when the Roman emperor Constantine adopted Christianity, he told his soldiers to paid XP on their shield to signify that they were a Christian army. And the XP along with the fish symbol has been found in the catacombs as among the earlist symbols the Christians used to identify themselves.

So xmas is not rude or lazy, nor is it bad to use. It stems back to ancient times. It really shouldn't be taken as offensive because the X is one of the earliest symbols of Christianity.

- Laura (whose father is a scholar of the history of Christianity, so she knows way more than she should wink )

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#234626 12/11/04 09:28 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I voted for "No, it isn't". It's just another abbreviated word. And, I hadn't previously thought of it that way, but, as a Greek laugh , I confirm what Laura already explained very accurately smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#234627 12/11/04 09:07 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
I always read Xmas as 'exx-mass', but I've never considered it particularily secular.

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#234628 12/12/04 07:28 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Xmas....now I know what it is....i didn´t know the real meaning.
Thanks

Karla

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard