Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dundan8 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
How unavoidable are these things, really? wink

Edit: Eh-heh, I seem to have forgotten the poll.

Ah well, roast away. laugh

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Well, I am going to a Holiday Party -- not a Christmas Party -- for the BME department on Friday. I love it! It is the reason to suffer all year as a student in the BME department. We get to see all of our professors getting drunk laugh . Since I am on the Graduate Student Association executive board, I even got to help plan the party this year, so it should be extra-fun.

But there's a clear distinction that it's a Holday Party rather than a Christmas Party. I believe Christians are a clear minority in my department, so we are celebrating the end of the semester rather than any specific holiday smile .

- Laura laugh

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
dundan8 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
That sounds like quite a unique Holiday party. laugh

What do your professors do for New Year's anyway? thumbsup

Maybe you can organize a drunken musical chairs rendition? laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
My husband's mother is the matriarch of the family, which includes her 5 children, 11 grandchildren, and 14 great-grandchildren. The entire family (plus dates for those not married, spouses of those who are, and even the siblings and parents of some of the spouses) always gets together for a Christmas Eve party.

And a New Year's Eve party.

And a Three King's Day party.

There'll be lots of people, lots of food, lots of music, and lots of beer laugh .

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My husband's company has an annual Christmas party -- a dinner out, then we go to one of the guys' houses for dessert & chatting. This year, we're going to what calls itself a Brazilian Steakhouse -- we went there last year and it was very good. I'm a little worried, though, because their work conditions recently have been terribly stressful... I'm not sure it's a good idea to give them knives... laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
I've already been to my hubby's Christmas party - very nice dinner at a golf course and dancing afterward. Of course, there were literally two men actually willing to dance, but what can you expect out of a bunch of engineers? laugh

Then, on the 4th, we had an early Christmas with my in-laws who will be with my step-father-in-law's family this year - next year, it's our turn - and then on Sunday, my assistant manager had a Christmas party/housewarming party/staff meeting at her place.

On Christmas day, my brother and sister-in-law will be joining us for dinner. His 3 daughters will be with their mom, and my sister-in-law's 4 girls will be with their dad. And we took pity on some recent immigrants to the country and invited them home for a meal, too. wink

In January, after the crazy retail season is over, I'll be taking the staff out for dinner.

Plus, I'm sure we'll do something for New Years. Sleeping sounds good! laugh

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Of course, there were literally two men actually willing to dance, but what can you expect out of a bunch of engineers?
clap clap

Actually, you'd be surprised. Get a group of engineers *really* drunk. Some professors and graduate students can show some really, really, really great dance moves wink .

- Laura (the biomedical "fake" engineer)

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
No, I'm not celebrating with a party this year. Instead I'm going into surgery and getting a new knee, so my celebrating will wait until I can walk again. I'll have to be content with whatever is on TV.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
Sounds like you guys will be having a great time for Christmas. smile

My sister and I will be alone frown . The christmas break is simply too short to justify the cost of a plane ticket back home. As I pointed out to my mom, by the time I recover from jet lag and my biological clock gets adjusted, it'd be time for us to fly back to Toronto to begin on our new school year. It's the first time we are going to be alone for Christmas.

Oh well, looking at the bright side, I'll finally get an opportunity to see a real Boxing Day sale. I've heard stories about the deals and the crowds, and this time, I'll get to see it for myself. smile

twins
metwin1

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Christmas...the time to eat, drink, and be merry.

Let's see, I've already gone to one holiday party. My sorority threw a bash downtown at my favorite club. It was food, dancing, and a lot of fun.

My dad had his office party, which was the exact same night, so I wasn't able to go this year. But it's great. There's usually a dinner somewhere, and then it's off to Bellingrath Gardens for the lights. It's just gorgeous. A long time ago, Mr. Bellingrath and his wife bought 60 acres of land on the river...they started planting, and thus, the gardens were born. There are pictures on the website if anyone wants to take a gander at them. During Christmas, it's pretty much 60 acres of lights wrapped around every plant imaginable...swans float in the lake, all kinds of snowmen, candycanes, and everything you can think of. If it's Christmas related, it's probably made out of lights somewhere on the grounds.

My aunt's having the annual party/family get together in Orlando this weekend, but I can't go because of finals. So the folks are going to have to take pictures for me. wink

Now my grandfather in Texas is having people over for Christmas as usual. I wonder who is showing up for it, considering there were 45 for Thanksgiving, and that's not even the whole family. So I'll definitely be there for a few days to celebrate and make margaritas.

Happy holidays, everyone!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
I've never had a party. For a few years while in high school a couple of friends would come over on Christmas Day and have dinner with my family, but that is about it. It's migrated from my grandaparents house to ours. My other grandma that I aquired in Junior High used to have big bashes until a few years ago when they started to get a bit sad to have (past few years she has lost two of her children). I've only been to it about five times in the fifteen years or so that I've known her.

I'm too shy to have my own party, but I'm hoping one day I can try. When I have my own house I want to start some of my own holiday traditions to mark the holiday as being more exciting and eventful like it was when I was a child. My husband's third Christmas out of his house and I think it is loosing the fun for him. I need to help get it back for him so I hope maybe a gathering/party, more baking, prep and decoration and hopefully some traditions we can create can make it better. We are hoping to have our own house next holiday season and we can kick it into gear!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Features Writer
Features Writer
I wish I could have my birthday party... But it will be an online party I guess.

party

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm going into surgery and getting a new knee, so my celebrating will wait until I can walk again
Good luck with the surgery, Jude. These procedures are quite common these days - I'm sure you'll be up and running around in no time! laugh

Maybe while waiting for your knee to heal your Muse will get active and you'll write another one of your lovely LC fanfics.

As for Christmas and New Year parties: I come from a big, party loving family so there's always festivities to attend. Then there're my friends - if they also get into the party spirit there are more than enough parties to choose from. help

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard