Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been told saying any sort of religious stuff in such a way is rude, but REALLY, why?
I'm not sure I can explain, but I'll try -- specifically from my Christian Protestant background. I think it flows from the commandment to *not* take the name of the Lord in vain. God's name should be taken seriously, not just tossed around without much thought. It's showing disrespect.

And at this point, too, I think it's a cultural thing -- generation after generation told to do this and not do that, and losing sight of the original reason behind it smile Witness all the people in this thread saying they "just felt that way" without really knowing why.

I don't know if that makes any sense <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
This is a fascinating discussion. Growing up, had I said 'Oh my God', I'd have had my mouth washed out with soap. Even if I'd said, 'Oh my Gosh', the consequences would have been the same. My folks would have seen 'gosh' as simply a substitute for what I really wanted to say laugh .

In my writing, I use 'omigod' as opposed to 'oh my God' in deference to my upbringing (one of my few concessions I make to my upbringing cool ). In speech, I might say f--- or s--- or d--- or h--- (some more often than others), but the only time I would use the word 'god' other than when refering to the deity, would be in 'Thank God' and that is usually followed by: 'and I mean that literally' cool

When writing L and C, however, the question isn't what I would say. It's what would Lois or Clark say. And I doubt my parents would be able to wash out L or C's mouths.

But I always struggle to know whether 'god' should be capitalized when not refering to the deity. More and more, I don't capitalize it because I figure it's an expression rather than a reference to the deity. And somehow, it seems to show more respect to God to not confuse her with slang cool

wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Thanks Anna and KathyM. Chalk that one up to my poor vision. Sure enough, I was not referring to fish.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
Merriwether
Merriwether
*not* take the name of the Lord in vain
Yeah. I've heard that. But your explanation makes more sense. Thanks.

It's funny that I don't believe in him/her/it/them and yet I use it sometimes! Weird.

I'll stick with Holy Cow. Now how did that come around?!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Do any of our grammar experts have a textbook answer for this question of whether the word "god" should be capitalized in such a phrase as "oh my god"? I'm just asking if there is some kind of direction out there. For example, if you were writing for a newspaper, what would the editor tell you to do? I'm just curious on this.

I was always taught to capitalize "God" when refering to the deity, as it is his/her proper name. I know many people always capitalize this word, thus the reason I always hesitate and waffle when I type it one way or the other. I'm just trying to land on one side or the other and be consistent from here on out. I'm leaning toward capitilization only when actually refering to God the deity (such as Zeus or Thor) and non-capitilization in all slang uses. Seems more respectful, somehow.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm going to disagree with Paul and dundan.

To quote from Judaism 101 -- a great resource, btw --
Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.
However, there is some argument as to whether words in non-Hebrew languages can actually be true names of God. I am among those who believe they cannot. Thus I write "God" and not "G-d" -- although I would not transliterate any of His names into English without altering them slightly.

And this is not as a mnemonic, or because the names are too holy to speak (they are spoken as part of prayers and study). It is so they should not come to be erased.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard