Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
can't quite figure out the mechanics, so.... ignore, unless you're fast for something to do ... also apologize for the gender bias

cc m

edit: following Labrat's suggestion here, although the poll was only a personal test and the choices were just off the top of my head and bear little evidence of meaningful thought.
c

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can I have the 'Other' option?

I won't bother you with the greek tragedy version of a hero.

I think that what makes a hero super is his/her ability to transcend and go beyond his/her personal boundaries. The 'power' that this character has to put his/her own limits to a test in order to understand and find his/her true self...for the sakes of many is optionnal. I mean, you can only help others right if you truly know and accept who you are, right?

Carole smile1

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Carol, if you're wanting people to respond to this poll (and why not, as it seems an interesting poll wink ), rather than it just being a test for your own reference, I'd suggest changing the title to reflect what the poll is about.

That way, you'll attract more people into the thread, I think. smile

Although, given human nature, sometimes I think the best way to attract people to a thread is to head it "test - ignore" goofy I know that has me rushing to open it...just because. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Altruistic nature of character for me smile A hero must be an example and a helping hand.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Oddly enough, I've started an original fic with this premise. It's actually meant to be a parody, but at the same time makes you think (I hope). Does having super powers alone make a hero super? I don't think so.

There's an interesting storyline in the Spider-Man universe. It's in a current comic book mini-series called Powerless. It explores what would happen to the characters of Spidey, Wolverine, the Hulk, and others if they didn't have super powers.

Peter Parker is bitten by the spider, but his arm withers instead of getting super powers. He becomes a hacker and takes on Oscorp. Bruce Banner is in an insane asylum for having multiple personality disorder. Logan finds out he was brainwashed by Mystique, but we don't know who killed the non-mutant version of Charles Xavier yet. It's a pretty interesting take, and it's from the PoV of a psychologist who deals with all of these characters.

Anyway, I voted for their altruistic nature.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Features Writer
Features Writer
what makes super a hero?

HM... the fact that he´s Dean Cain ran through my mind... oh well ... he could be Keanu Reeves too and i´d say the same thing.

MDL. laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lois said it best for me in Neverending Battle.

"What he can't do...it doesn't matter. It's the idea of Superman. Someone to believe in. Someone to build a few hopes around. Whatever he can do: it's enough."

Even if you took away Superman's powers, and he was just a regular guy trying to make a difference in the world, he'd still be super to me.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thought I should reply since so many people did the poll. smile

Was tempted by the cut of his spandex though ... very, very tempted. <G>

But chewing gum while he flies??? I think not - not decorous at all. laugh Detracts from that requisite, stern superhero look. You want to believe he's thinking about his upcoming supertask rather than blowing the perfect bubble.

So what makes a hero super? I think it's altruism - the wellbeing of others is more important to him than his own, and his actions reflect that. He would not hurt or abandon those in need.

Now this doesn't mean he's bucking for sainthood<g> - Nor does it mean he will always do the right thing, although at the time of his action he will believe it's the right thing.

Carole, I hadn't thought about his needing to know himself first - that self-awarness is a prerequisite. Have to think about that. Does that then mean the heroic act must be a conscious one?

Emily, your examples suggest that i got the question wrong - it should have been 'What makes a superman heroic?" smile

Which leads me to: Is Lex Luthor a Superman?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to this poll, everyone. smile

cc m

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, first let's be totally honest, I checked the 'altruistic nature'. Because I can't quite picture a self-centered person as a hero. But, who knows? I'll add 'courage' too.

Carole, I hadn't thought about his
needing to know himself first
Not exaclty first. You constantly learn about yourself. He (let's say 'he') also discovers about himself in the process. keyphrase here was 'accept who you are'. Knowing what you can do and/or achieve and what you can't. Know where your limits stands in order not to endanger yourself, thus the people you're trying to help.

Does that then mean the heroic act must be a conscious one?
Tough question. The answer might sound confuse and a bit farfetched, too.

I don't think the hero realise his act is an heroïc one when he does it. He just feels like doing it because he can't stay passive in front of certain events. He doesn't know if his action will make a difference. But he feels it might. And if not, at least he tried to make things better...but better from which POV? What appears to be better on the instant could prove a patch-up in the long time.

It's other people that will define his acts as 'heroïc'. I guess you're always a (super) hero from someone else's POV. Which, come to think of it, is really subjective.

I think it's the kind of event and the way he's gonna react to the events he's confronted to that make a (super)hero. I mean, a is hero already above common mortals. So to qualify for the 'superhero' tells quite something about his character.

On the more trivial side, what makes a hero super? A radioactive spider bite, his wealth that he uses for altruistic purpose, a spandex suit. And I'm only half kidding about the spandex suit. Take those UK dads who, in june, dressed themselves as Batman and Spiderman and respectively climbed on Buckingham Palace and...I think it was the Parliament to demonstrate against the current state of Family Law in Britain .

Oh, I have a question: if heroes are semi-gods, does that mean that a superhero he's an even closer-to-god kind of person?

Carole smile1

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard