Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#234106 09/15/04 06:28 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi FoLCs, wave

I was reading all the answers people gave on the Gaps poll and something puzzled me.

I know many of you can stand gaps but ... what would be the ideal frequency of posting for you and... would you rather know how many parts the story will have before even starting to read it?

MDL. (Who thinks this will be useful only for her own information anyway huh )

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#234107 09/15/04 01:46 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Hi,

I voted for once a week and other. I really don't mind reading long stories when I have the time, provided they're either completed or close to completed and I know they're going to be long to begin with.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#234108 09/15/04 05:41 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Guys please... if u choose other... specify..

Other doesnt give us the whole picture of ur needs

MDL. frown

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#234109 09/15/04 07:22 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think twice a week is good. Three times, even, depending on the story. Once a week is slow, but it works for some stories.

And that's the thing. It depends a lot on the story. How big it is. How it flows. How big the parts are. How many other stories there are to read at the same time. All sorts of stuff.

As for number of parts, I prefer to know, but I don't expect to know. It would be nice, but if you don't know, that's not a huge problem.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#234110 09/15/04 09:26 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Well...is it wrong that I picked once a week cause that's what I'm doing? wink But seriously, during the school year with working full time and writing my own story, I find it hard to keep up with anything more than once a week. Okay blush let me clarify that. I find it hard to prioritize my time and end up reading stories when I should be doing homework or sleeping. laugh This is the reason I've limited myself to only a few stories. Though ever since I *have* started reading stories in progress, I'm extremely tempted to read more. smile1 )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#234111 09/16/04 12:57 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I voted 'other' for both questions, so I guess I have to clarify my opinions here.

Since I don't have the time to read all the stories (as I used to), I usually just read the stories with one or a couple of parts. Because, when you're reading something lengthier, you need to keep up with it, and I'm not sure I can do it. I just begin following longer stories under special circumstances.

When it's a long story I wanted to read but couldn't, I wait until it hits the Archive. Then, I save it in my computer and read some every time I have some spare time. (And send my fdk then, by private email.)

If I've decided to read a long story though, say, if it's the sequel of a story I've loved ( wildguy wildguy wildguy , Yvonne), I'll read it even if it has a zillion parts. I don't care.

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#234112 09/16/04 05:18 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I picked other for Question 1 only because 3 times a week wasn't an option. I could have picked twice a week because that's pretty nice, too. Once a week is too slow for me.

As for Question 2, again I picked other. The reason is that as a writer, I hate to post how many total parts there will be in a story. Three reasons - 1) I hate to be locked into something that I've advertised in case it changes and I need to add a part or two (or ten).

2) I hate to scare readers away by telling them that they are walking into an epic.

and 3) I hate to have readers know how many parts because when you get near the end, and you reach some major cliffhanger moments or scenes where it seems impossible to resolve the mess you've created, allowing the readers know that there are only two or three parts left clues them into the soon-to-occur resolution. Kind of like revealing your hand before the trick is over.

That being said, as a reader I do kind of like to know how many parts for exactly the opposite reasons. I like to know if I'm jumping into a long haul. And I like to know, when I'm starting to bite my nails with worry, that the end is near so the resolution has to be coming soon.

wink
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#234113 09/16/04 07:22 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I like longer stories to be posted at least twice a week, that's easiest to stay caught up with. But I'll still read stories that are on a less frequent posting schedule. It's what authors like best, I'll be there to read.

As for the second question, I chose other. I prefer to read longer stories in parts, that easier than in one sitting as I'm not the fastest reader. So I'll read it preferably on the boards. And if I see a question mark, I assume it's going to be a long ride. You'd know the same with the number of posts. So it doesn't really matter to me. I judge by other factors.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#234114 09/16/04 11:59 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I find it interesting that many of the gentle readers prefer not to read longer stories until they are on the archives. That kind of works against the whole 'how many times a week should I post concept'.

Also it basically is a deterent to writers for writing longer stories because if they have to wait until the story is on the archives before many people will read it, they will be writing their stories in a near vacuum. It's been shown that the vast majority of comments a writer gets on their story comes from the parts posted on the message boards. Once a story reaches the archives, it's fairly rare to get any comments on a story, even if it gets read by those gentle readers who don't read stories in instalments.

Personally, I only read stories in instalments because I can't commit the time needed to read a long story. While I can usually steal some time nearly every day to try and keep up with story parts on the boards, I can't take the time for a long story that isn't conveniently broken up for me.

Tank (who knows that he could pick his own break parts in an archived story, but that just never works... plus, he'd miss out on the cliffhangers)

#234115 09/17/04 01:55 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I said twice a week, and other. I picked other on Q#2 because I like to have an idea of how many parts to expect -- while bearing firmly in mind that stories frequently surprise their authors wink Plus, I tend to think that an estimate by the author means they've planned ahead, to some degree. I'm not so fond of reading a story where the author is obviously just making it up as they go along, with no destination in sight... those types of stories tend to get incoherent and not get finished. This is *not* the same as an author getting bogged down in real-life stuff, which could happen to anyone.

But, of course, there are exceptions to every rule, and I like to stay flexible. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#234116 10/09/04 11:27 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
First I thought twice a week and then I thought once a week. It depends on the length of the post. If it is short - twice. Long - once. I gobble fics up to fast and I need someone to dangle the tantalizing candy infront of me so I can enjoy the horrific wait.

I do not like knowing how many parts there will be b/c then I will start thinking of when 'this' or 'that' problem will be solved. I don't like knowing that it will end soon.

EDIT - I used to like having them as fast as possible, but now I find when it is over I'm like "ah man" so when it is less often I get my enjoyment drawn out. Though, the ID part of me wants it everyday! LOL

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#234117 10/09/04 12:51 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I picked 'other' for q1 because I prefer 3x a week. Twice a week is OK. Once a week is too slow for my personal preference, but if that is what the author chooses, I will still read the story. Anything less that once a week, I will read the story, but don't blame me if I forget things, get confused, etc!

For the second question, as a reader I prefer to know how many posts there are total. I will read a story whether the author posts this information or not. It is not a prerequisite, only a preference.

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard