Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Well, I've mentioned my opinions on this matter several times, but I'm not above doing so again.

First, when I post I like to post 2 to 3 times a week depending on the status of the story. If I feel I don't have the story to do that I'm comfortable with as little as once a week. But no longer than that. I think that's about the limit to keep your gentle readers involved without significant lost of the story thread.

I also feel that when a writer decides to post they have a responsibility to their readers to post on a reasonable schedule. If I expect someone to continue reading (and commenting?) on my story, I have to provide them with a regular supply of fic.

Having said that... sh*t happens and I understand how real life can raise its ugly head and dash the best laid plans. When that happens all one can do is grin and bear it.

When I started I posted as soon as I finished a part. But back then, I wrote shorter stories and didn't use my SuperSecretMysteryBetaReader. Once the stories got longer (which I still blame on Wendy) and found that in order to minimize the possible interference of real life, I had to build up a buffer to give me a cushion to be writing as I'm posting.

My current rule of thumb for longer stories is to have nine or ten parts in the can before I start posting. It's hard to wait that long, just because one gets antsy and wants to get some feedback on what you've written.

I also agree that the gentle readers do have a definite secondary function as gamma readers and their comments can have an affect on the story as it continues. I've had to make changes and additions to 'correct' flaws that had been pointed out, or ideas that got raised. You just hope that those aren't so major that you have to scrap or rewrite a large portion of what has already been written.

My current wip, which I foolishly have started posting, had a buffer of nine chapters. I will be posting the second chapter later tonight and still haven't finished the tenth. Not good.

Tank (who should have taken the lesson from Yvonne and built a bigger buffer)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Take it from me, Tank, bigger buffers don't always help! eek I used to start posting when I had about 40 pages of a story written, and as I carried on writing that would keep me ahead of posts for quite some time - even posting three times a week. Then I moved to 70 pages, and with my current WIP I didn't start posting until I had 100 pages written. And I've had to move from twice weekly to once a week with that (although there are exceptional circumstances involved this time razz to LabRat! wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I don't like gaps, but sometimes they happen. As long as the author is posting fairly regularly, say at least once a week, I don't mind. RL can be complicated and I understand that.

What's annoying is when people abandon stories after several months because they got writer's block, but leave the stories up on their web sites and don't bother to leave an e-mail address to contact them for feedback (or nagging, as the case may be.) wink

I tend to get writer's block in the middle of stories myself, so I usually wait until they're almost finished or completely finished before I start posting.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't like gaps, but sometimes they happen. As long as the author is posting fairly regularly, say at least once a week, I don't mind. RL can be complicated and I understand that.
I repeat, All my stories are complete but one. I'm just not posting anymore. Even the "Vamps" one is complete.

Also want to say "Good-Bye"...Maybe...

I've finally stop writing L&C fanfics. So, I might not be comming around anymore.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
rotflol LabRat.
rotflol

(Phew)

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm, as for the rest of the poll, I don't like buffers - I want to be on the same page as my readers. That can usually inspire me to write more or on the off hand encourage me to write an off angle, like I did with the Duality ending. laugh

As well, problem with writing this much this fast is an immense clutter of grammar/typo checking that is missed even at a second perusal. (There are things that sounded fine to me a 3am, but now I have to think back as to what exactly I was trying to convey.)

Which is why Duality is in a rewrite buffer. laugh

*lounges in newbie-fluffy-fandom*

Merriwether
Merriwether
Also want to say "Good-Bye"...Maybe...

I've finally stop writing L&C fanfics. So, I might not be comming around anymore.
I don't write at all and I hang around a lot. Mind you, not as of the past two months though. RL bites.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
i am impatient and don't like to wait. on the other hand, my own story has taken years to come to even being closed to possibly finished. real life rocks! I love it and it's challenges but it does interfere with both the will to write and the opportunity.

when I began LST, I had one toddler. Now I have a kindergarterner and a 3.5 yo.

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I 'hate' gaps whinging to the point that I don't usually start a story on the message boards unless it's written by a very reliable author. Someone who I know who will keep a schedule (even if I want it to be faster wink ) and will finish.

I've been disappointed by writers who have started and never finished frown

I love the archive though so I can read at my own rate, which is usually pretty fast!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard