Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
One of the wonderful things about FoLCdom is all the great friends I've made over the years, through posting on the boards and email list, chatting in real time on IRC, and exchanging private email. What's been even better has been actually meeting some of these great friends in real life, and winding up having them as RL friends too. laugh

So, what about everyone else? Are your FoLC friends just virtual, or are they real too? goofy Don't just answer the poll; tell us all about it!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I have never met a FoLC!! wave
AnnaBtG. (in silliness mode... it attacked me early in the morning and it still hasn't worn off.)

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Some of my closest freinds are FoLC and I don't know what I would do without them.

I have my share of RL friends, but when comes to those I can count on, it's my RL FoLC friends. smile

notworthy notworthy notworthy

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Of course they're real! I've never understood the theory that internet friends are somehow less important in your life than those in the 'real world'. Friends are friends. Doesn't matter to me where I meet them or hang out with them, for that matter.

Have to admit though that I've never thought of meeting or not meeting those friends as being the criteria for whether they are real or not, important in my life or not. They just are. smile

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've met a few FoLC's during the last year or two and I hope to meet up with them again soon. They're good friends. And then there are those FoLC's who live on the other end of the ocean (plus lots of country <g>) who I count as good friends too but I just haven't had a chance to meet yet. But I will one day!

To me, it doesn't matter if I met them or not, we care about each other and that's the importing thing. Even if everyone thinks I'm nuts and talks about axe murderers, I trust them and that's enough.

All I know is that FoLC Friends are the best and I hope to meet many more of you one day!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I would love to have my RL friends and my FoLC friends be one in the same, but alas, they're not. I'd love to be able to go to a movie...let's say Signs...and we could be the only ones laughing at the kids when they put on foil skull caps so the aliens can't read their thoughts. laugh But no...no one else thought that was funny. No one else thought that the first few minutes of Mr. Deeds was funny because Harve Presnell turned into a comical popsicle (reminiscent of a certain villian in a certain story wink ). Nobody else sees the humor in or appreciates you fitting "Ohmigod, that was two days ago. You have got to learn to let things go." seamlessly into a converstation. Nobody else giggles when they see a "Charlton Heston is my President" bumper sticker.

Oh, wait...this wasn't a rant section? blush Sorry. laugh I guess I'm a little bitter. smile1 But I guess I can deal with RL as long as I can still come here. smile

Sara (who's not really sure that she actually answered the poll in all that mess up there smile1

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Ditto everything Boss notworthy and Anna notworthy said...

ItĀ“s great to be part of this and I really feel a member of the gang. Thanks to you all.

I just wished i didnĀ“t live so far from you guys. And Brazil is really far uh? I hope I can meet you all one day.

MDL. laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Maybe somewhere in between. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I've never had the chance to meet a FoLC in person, but you guys crack me up just as much as the people I hung out with last night. I'll move up north to a real city in a couple of years, and then some of you might see that I'm just as crazy (in a good way wink ) in person. Labby put it best...internet friends are just as cool and important as the people you hang around day to day. And seeing as how some of my friends moved this year, they've kind of become internet friends as well, since it's the cheapest way to stay in touch. So there's no real difference between you guys and them, except for the fact that I've gotten to hang around with them in person.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I chose the slightly hysterical 'folk friends rule' option <g>. It fits my experience most closely, since I have indeed met quite a few folcs, I consider them good friends, I've been shopping (just once or twice <g>) with them *and* been on holiday.

Like Rat says, friends are friends. Doesn't matter how you meet them or how you interact with them. The best kind of friend you can have is someone you can rely on when the chips are down, and I have both RL friends and Folc friends who fit that description.

Yvonne

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I am not sure if any of the options really applies to me. I chose the option that I've met some FoLCs and hope to do it again. I had an awesome time at the beach last year with some wonderful girls I had the pleasure of chatting with and meeting.

However, I don't know if I would consider any of my online friends in the same category as my real life friends. It's like two seperate categories. Each group is important in its own way, but they are not the same -- at least not to me.

I really cherish my close FoLC friends. I have on FoLC friend who I have emailed back and forth with for over 4 years, but we have never met in person. Initially, I was afraid he was an axe murdere, and now it is just a problem with time and money. Actually, I've never even seen a picture of him, yet he is someone I can always talk to -- he even helped me out with a marriage project in my sociology class! I have another FoLC friend who I talk to on a fairly regular basis on AIM. And there is another lovely FoLC who has beta read every one of my stories since I returned to FoLCdom who I consider a great friend -- even though she lives on the other side of the globe -- anyone who sends me flake candy will forever be my best friend wink .

I also cherish everyone who I talk to on IRC, on the boards, or in private email conversations. However, to me, I am not sure if I actually know anyone and if they actually know me. When I stop to think about it, I'm really not sure if I know anyone I talk to online as well as I know my real life friends. Even more so, I am not sure if they really know me.

There is one thing I can count on with many of my real life friends. They know me. They know what I am passionate about: my politics (very outspoken liberal democrat), my religion (very outspoken nonpracticing Catholic who has very strong opinions on religion in public), my family situation (a mother that is facing having her colon removed and a father with no platelets in his blood, and a sister who doesn't care), and my goals in life (to be the dean of engineering at a major research university after being the chair of biomedical engineering by age 35), and they know I have an insane crush on John McDonald of the Cleveland Indians and the VP canidate John Edwards (something I am sure no FoLC knew wink ), and also that I used to tell people in my sorority I wanted to be the next Monica Lewinsky laugh to totally freak out my republican sorority sisters who would unabashedly Clinton-bash and expect me to join in. I am sure no FoLC knows that I have a pet ceramic duck, and no FoLC has ever heard me passionately declare my love for monkeys or frogs (and I have a very unique definition of monkeys -- anything in the ape/monkey/baboon family is a monkey). All of these facts and so much more are very important to make me the person I truely am.

My RL friends see that side of me. I am not sure if my online friends do. And that makes me think that my online friends see a me that isn't exactly a true portrait of the person I really am. I am not saying that my online friends are any less important than my RL friends, just that they are two very different groups. I mean, where would I be without my online friends to complain about my RL friends to? wink

I am not sure if that just made any sense. It is really late and I should not have had all that coffee before dinner!

- Laura

PS: Who can say John McDonald isn't the best looking baseball player ever? [Linked Image] His uniform doesn't even get dirty during most games. That's because the Indians don't realize he is the best player they have!

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I see your point, Laura. I don't want to disagree, since everyone feels differently about their friends and there's no 'right' or 'wrong' opinion. But what you wrote reminds me of my relationships with most FoLCs.

I, having always been very open (maybe more than I should) in my social relationships, can say that the FoLCs that are my friends know a lot of me - maybe not everything, but some things I never tell anyone. Besides, fanfic is a very important part of my life too and I rarely discuss it with RL friends. With FoLC friends, otoh... wink

And then, there are the other FoLCs, who may not be friends of mine, but they know some things about me, I know some things about them, we hang around on IRC, they read my stories, I read theirs, we occasionally email each other when we need something, I get to 'see' them and their opinions on this boards every day and they get to 'see' me... So, even if they're not strictly friends, they are people who provide a stability in my life - people I don't depend on regularly (yes, I do depend on my friends; I don't know how I'd manage without them) but I know they're there when I need them. And they've proved that to me several times, in less or more serious occasions. smile Otoh, the RL people I hang around with but are not really my friends are not that important to me and they don't give me the same feeling of safety.

AnnaBtG. (who, in her paper for this year's Technology class had to thank, among others, two FoLCs who helped her find the pictures she needed smile )

E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I haven't met any other FoLCs in RL (at least, as far as I know.) Not that I wouldn't want to, though.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Gee, I hope no one ever finds out that I'm not a real person. I'm actually just an AI program that likes to play on this message board.

Tank (who says make that an ASI (articfical semi-intellegent) program)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, Tank, that would explain your dislike of kids... goofy

My FOLC friends are my RL friends smile I've been blessed and have been able to meet a number of FOLCs in person. With some, it's only been a few hours, meeting for lunch, while others (with more time to spend) have come to the house for a video-watching session or two, and/or I've gone to their houses. And a few have become almost part of the family. Someday my kids are gonna wonder why they have so many aunts wink

We used to have a larger group around here; at the moment we've got a core group of three -- and I'm the only one who's really still involved in online fandom. We try to meet for lunch at least every few months, or we chat on the phone.

I agree with some of the others, there are levels of friendship -- from casual acquaintances, to people I really like hanging out with, to people I would trust with my life. I have lots and lots of casual acquaintances, both online and in RL -- I like them and enjoy talking to them when I see them, but I wouldn't really go out of my way to talk to them, if you see what I mean. And there are some that I look forward to seeing and would miss if they weren't there. (Please nobody be mad at me about that -- honestly, you're one of the ones I *really* like goofy Maybe my point was that whether or not someone is a close friend has little to do with whether they're online or next door. smile

PJ
who is trying to plan a visit to Annette in time to meet Wendy there... and would love to meet any of y'all who happen to get to Raleigh, NC smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Well, I answered: Yes, I've met at least one, and we had a great time. Hoping to repeat the experience in the future!

And then realized that's wrong. I *have* gone on vacation with FoLC friends and been to their houses (or at least some of their houses). They haven't been to my house, but that's simply because of distance issues.... Oh, and I've been a bridesmaid in a FoLC friend's wedding. laugh

I also agree with Pam -- with any community there are going to be the people who are close friends, the kind of friend you keep even if you and/or the community goes away, and there are the acquaintances that you have fun with but don't go out of your way to do stuff with. Having moved quite a bit growing up (and with no plans of stopping that trend wink ), I love how the internet allows me to keep in touch with people -- I even keep in touch with a lot of local friends, whom I met in RL, with the internet. Of course, the fact that we're all writers might help with that. wink

But having met my FoLC friends online doesn't make them any less of a friend.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I selected the "No but I'm about to meet a FoLC friend" option because in a couple short weeks, I actually will come face to face with a real live FoLC. The entire concept has my husband totally freaked out - he cannot understand how I could meet someone who I've gotten to know over the internet. I keep trying to explain to him that many of the FoLCs I've met on the internet have become real friends, and I know as much about them as some real-life people I call friends.

And as in real-life, I have FoLC friends that are acquaintances - that I chat with on occasion on IRC - ranging all the way to others who are deeper friends, where we exchange e-mails regularly that deviate way off the scope of FoLCdom. People I miss when they go on vacation and I don't get to hear from them in a while.

I would love to attend a huge FoLC convention and get to meet everyone. Even seeing pictures brings me a big thrill because I get faces to connect to names and nicks.

Although, there is something very liberating about remaining anonymous. In this world, you aren't judged at all by the way you look or how your voice sounds or any other physical factors, only by what you say. In a way, I think this environment is even better than real-life for making friends.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
In this world, you aren't judged at all by the way you look or how your voice sounds or any other physical factors,
Add 'age' in these factors smile We've had a couple of polls proving that.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Anna B. the Greek:
In this world, you aren't judged at all by the way you look or how your voice sounds or any other physical factors,
Add 'age' in these factors smile We've had a couple of polls proving that.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Amen to that age thing. It's so great that we have all these different age groups around here, and we all treat each other as equals.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just a point of information for any folcs with husbands like Lynn's who freaks out at the thought of her meeting internet friends in the flesh - in this online community, at least, you can tell your doubting friends and family that many other folcs have already met each other and developed a variety of levels of friendship as a result. No-one got murdered, or even slightly damaged, in the process. laugh

Of course, if you're in any doubt at all, you just follow the rules which apply to any 'blind date' type situation: you make sure you meet in a public place and don't exchange address details until you're sure the other party is credible.

Yvonne
(who blithely didn't follow best practice at all when she met Jenni, Wendy or Helene for the first time laugh )

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, I've already got several plans in place for when I meet Wendy in a few weeks. Have the national guard on alert and a few key "save me" phrases to use with my husband like "Didn't you say we needed to change the batteries in the smoke detectors tonight?" LOL! wink

But, really, Yvonne brings up a great point. It is always best to be safe when meeting a virtual stranger. I'm always blown away by the sickos you hear about on the news who pretended to be a kid on the internet so they could lure other kids into unsavory meetings. Ugh!! Talk about giving internet friends a scary reputation.

And thanks, Anna, for mentioning the age thing. It is very cool how vast of a range of ages this fandom pulls and that we all see each other as equals.

I'm still gunning for that FoLC Fest.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard