Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#233495 05/12/04 06:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree that posting in instalments allows me as a writer to see what's working and what isn't - I don't think I've posted a long story yet which hasn't had revisions as a result of reader comments, including revisions to sections already posted. I'm effectively getting a second-level beta-reading service here on the boards, and boy do I appreciate it!

But as a reader, I also prefer to see long stories posted in (regular) instalments. I rarely have the time to sit down and read a complete story in one sitting, and for that reason I often don't read long stories which are posted here all at once - or I may wait some time before reading. I can always find 10-20 minutes to read a single instalment, however. wink

But also, as a reader, I enjoy seeing stories posted in instalments because many writers do respond to reader comments. They post replies to feedback which answer questions, respond to suggestions and constructive criticism and generally engage in a debate with the readers about the story. And if a reader comment has prompted a writer to make a change in the story as a result, that gives us - as readers - the sense that we are somehow part of the creative process. That, for me, is what makes reading stories here rather than on the Archive a fascinating experience. If I want to read a story all at once, I'll wait until it hits the Archive! wink

(Oh, and that's a hint to any writers who don't respond to comment folders - and I know I'm overdue in replying to my latest one - please reply, because it's nice to see your responses!)

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#233496 05/12/04 07:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ego stroking is gooooood, TJ loves the ego stroking, make me write more better goooood.

Having gotten that out of my system I will say...

MMMMM ego stroking goooood

No really, I feel prompted to write more and better if I get feedback along the way. Besides like was already said SOMEtimes you get really cool ideas from people reading along, a little shove in the right direction.

Other wise it would have taken me forever to get this whole thing on line(current storY)

I'm Done!

TEEEEEJ

#233497 05/12/04 09:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I post as I go. I've never had the guts to post anything longer than a one-parter so far, but I write by the seat of my pants. Normally, I can't tell you what I'm going to write about when I open up the word processor. I usually just have a sentence or two stuck in my head, and then I run with it. And yeah, posting can be scary. So I have a BR sometimes...I want to hear "this part sucks, write something different," I want ideas, and I want to see where you think the story's going (since I never know where it's going goofy ).

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#233498 05/12/04 11:18 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Posting in instalments is a bid for a lot of feedback and backslapping... well, yeah, I hope this is no revelation to anyone.

Truth be told, I only write for the feedback. If there wasn't that component to the message boards postings I wouldn't be writing. I don't write for enjoyment. Writing is work. I write for the enjoyment of the 'reactions' to what I write.

This is why, even though I constantly tell myself I want to write an original novel, I'll never get one finished. I can't write in a vacuum. I need the constant reinforcement. (We'll leave the little factor of talent, or lack there of, out of this equation for now).

Does it act as a secondary beta read? Of course. Does it give the writer insights as to what is and isn't working? Of course. Is it easier to find the time to read in small chunks rather than a full blown story? Sure. Posting in instalments is all those things. The only negative is for those readers who are 'impatient' to keep reading if their interest has been piqued by what they are reading, and if the writer is forced out of a 'regular' posting schedule.

Tank (who has posted on this thread twice so I guess that means his 4 cents worth?)

#233499 05/13/04 06:09 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, and that's a hint to any writers who don't respond to comment folders - and I know I'm overdue in replying to my latest one - please reply, because it's nice to see your responses
I totally agree with you, Wendy. If I've made a comment about someone else's story, I just can't wait to see if the author picks up on it - I keep checking the boards for their reply. If they have, then I get a little "Ooh, they noticed me!" thrill. blush

On the other hand, and in the defence of those of us who aren't always as diligent as they should be in responding to reader comments - it's a huge challenge to any writer to come up with yet another way of saying 'thank you for your comments' <bg>. I often spend ages agonising over my responses to reader comments. So here's a plea from writer to reader for more challenging, pithy comments on stories - they're so much easier to compose a reply to! <g>

Yvonne

#233500 05/13/04 09:05 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
But also, as a reader, I enjoy seeing stories posted in instalments because many writers do respond to reader comments. They post replies to feedback which answer questions, respond to suggestions and constructive criticism and generally engage in a debate with the readers about the story.
Yup, this is what I've personally always enjoyed most about posting in instalments. It's endlessly fascinating what readers will come up with in their comments - often seeing characters or plots or situations that haven't even occurred to me as the writer and showing me my own story in an entirely new light.

I love participating in that two way dialogue. It's fun. smile And, in fact, although I haven't had the time or inclination to read much in the way of LNC fanfic recently, I often still pop into comments folders now and then to enjoy the debate on a story, even though I haven't read the story itself.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#233501 05/15/04 04:59 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I had to vote other.

If I have a short story (fewer and fewer of those recently) I'll post it all at once. Most of the time if the story is a long one, I have a plot roughed out with plenty of wiggle room and post as I go.

Marilyn is right, though. I do post as a bid for feedback. Ego-stroking is nice, but that's not the main reason. The feedback is often the only beta-reading I get. I'm horribly sensitive about my writing, having been mercilessly teased about it as a kid. Sending it off to just one reader takes more courage than posting it for everyone to see and comment (don't ask me why. I'm well aware it's not logical). But sometimes the comments have sparked new ideas, or even given me the nerve to put in something I wanted to put in that I had decided against.

As for posting as I go, I sometimes need the feedback to keep me motivated. This last year has been incredibly hectic for reasons that I can't begin to go into, and the feedback and a sense of duty (I've always promised that if I start a story I'll finish it, and I mean it) were all that kept me going, but it's much easier to make myself write if I know people really want to see the next part. It also helps to make me want to put everything I have into writing *well*. It makes for a better story. If I waited until the whole thing was written, it might never see the light of day. Since my sister and I don't collaborate much in the way of writing anymore, there isn't much of a drive to write unless I know there are people out there who really want to read it, and who say so.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#233502 05/23/04 05:29 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
First, a bit of OT.
ML said:
There has been one exception: Without A Superman. When I started that story, I knew there were going to be three parts: Clark Kent's Quest, Lois Lane's Quest and Superman's Quest. And I had a basic idea about of where all three parts (all of which are complete stories) were going to go. Of course, I had no idea how I was going to get there. But it was sort of fun being restricted to things I'd written in previous stories while writing the sequels. It required additional brain power thinking my way around the problems I could have simply rewritten if earlier parts had not been posted.
So where is Superman's Quest posted? I'm dying for it!!!!
On to the topic. Well, I haven't written much lately, but hopefully that will change shortly. I thought I could post as I wrote, but the pressure started to get to me. So this time I will be nearly done, but yet ready for minor revisions. Or like Nan said, I'll post when my interest is waning and I need everybody's help. I will try a weekly post.
As I reader, I have found that if the whole story is posted in parts simultaneously, I'm less interested. I'd rather go to the archive and not have to download many parts which is a pain. I'm a lazy one-click person wink .
But who of us doesn't love feedback?
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#233503 05/23/04 07:37 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So where is Superman's Quest posted? I'm dying for it!!!!
ML submitted it to the Archive, Artemis, and it's just been uploaded to the website as part of today's update, I note. wink

Thanks, Lauren. <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#233504 05/23/04 11:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LabRat:
/me dances happy dance!!! hyper
Yes, when I wrote that, the Archive didn't have today's stories up yet. Thanks for the notice!!!
cool
Artemis
frown Just went there. Today's upload isn't up yet. Oh well, it will be in a few more hours.

#233505 05/23/04 11:34 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Artemis, it is up - try clearing your cache or doing an alt-refresh.

Oh, and ML's story is here

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#233506 05/23/04 02:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I had to do a "reload". Usually cache clearing isn't a problem, but it was this time. So I've got it.
--off to enjoy
Artemis

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard