Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ethnica Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Dave Chappelle had a really funny skit about people and music: whites respond to electric guitar, blacks to drums, and hispanics to electric piano. (I don't know what I am - I love bass guitar. laugh ) So to piggyback off Chief Pam's country music question, what type of music makes you want to dance? And if there's a specific song, please comment.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I had to vote for other because it doesn't really matter for me. It can be any instrument!

What matters for me is the tune. Upbeat and bouncy really work for me. But I can dance (or move wink ) to any song or music I like. In private, mostly, of course.

Some of my favorite songs are performed with a piano, some use guitars, others have lots of drums. But ofthen, it's a mix of many instruments. It's the rhythem that's important for me.

I can't really give examples, my list is *huge*.

Great quiz, though!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, gosh, to answer this I would need to be able to identify what instruments are used in each song... I've never been very good at that smile I tend to focus more on the vocals. And the words of the song can make a difference -- they don't have to make sense (I like REM <g> ) but there are lyrics that offend me so I avoid those. But I guess in general upbeat and cheerful works for me smile

PJ
listening to her brand-new Savage Garden CD cool

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
The music I like to dance to has to have a beat.

Specific songs I've danced to:
Cha Cha Slide
Macarena
That's pretty much it for the songs I'll always dance to. laugh

I remember there was a dance for cadets when I was on the exchange to Newfoundland, everyone was up on their feet doing the Macarena and the Cha Cha Slide. and then YMCA to the Village People, but I don't know that routine very well.

People in small towns really know how to have a good time without any complexities. I don't think I'll ever find a club in Toronto where the entire hall will be doing to Macarena. I don't think they'll be even playing it.

Anyway, as I was saying... it's gotta have a beat. And if it's nice and slow, and there's a guy around, well, then that's always good too. wink

And the words of the song can make a difference -- they don't have to make sense (I like REM <g> ) but there are lyrics that offend me so I avoid those.
I agree. The songs that come out today, by Nellie, 50 Cent, all those modern artists are very popular among people my age, and sure my friends call me a freak sometimes, goofy but I find the lyrics are often explicit and even chauvinistic, so I avoid them. They don't bother some people, but they do me.

Then there are the songs that make no sense - Britney Spears (whom no one my age likes anymore goofy ), if you listen carefully, often doesn't, but that makes the songs fun and light. So that's okay.

I like pop because it doesn't bring up issues like rap and R&B, and it very rarely is too offensive and explicit.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I voted for 'other', because for me it's not that much about the musical instrument. Mostly about the song itself.

I'm a music freak smile I can dance almost to anything, mostly latin, pop and R&B/rap. (I like rock too, but it can't be danced) I have NEVER danced blues (didn't happen, I guess, but it's not my favorite idea of dancing). Another kind of rhythm that really makes me move is traditioal Greek music (I've been taking classes for 6 years!). Otoh, I can't dance the modern Greek rhythms (tsifteteli etc.).

AnnaBtG. (listenig to Geri Halliwell at this moment)

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just occurred to me to add... I'm Pentecostal, which means I dance in church goofy so I think it's safe to say I'll dance to any number of things...

PJ
who's even been tempted to move to the rhythm of a copier machine laugh

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
ethnica Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I will always get up and join the line dances, "The Electric Slide" and "Step to My Love". (That's grooving for the over 40 crowd. laugh )

And anything by Hall and Oates or Angie Stone will get me on the floor. party

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Being a guitar player, I think you could guess what my choices would be. I play bass in the band so rhythm is my 'thing', but really for me it's the song's melody that makes or breaks it.

My tastes in music are varied, but I prefer classic rock and pop. I currently own 32 DVD's featuring music or concert performances. They are;

Chet Atkins - A Life in Music
Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed - Live in concert
The Band - The Last Waltz
The Beach Boys - Live at Knebworth 1980
The Beatles - The First US Visit
Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo - Summer Vacation Tour
The Blasters - Live, Going Home
The Corrs - Live in London
The Corrs - Live at The Royal Albert Hall
The Corrs - The Best of
Sheryl Crow - C'mon America 2003
Devo - Live
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
The Everly Brothers - Reunion Concert 1983
Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
The Gin Blossoms - Just South of Nowhere
The Indigo Girls - Live at the Fillmore
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - Live
The Best of the Maveriks
The Moody Blues - A Night at Red Rocks
The Monkees - Live Summer Tour 2000
Roy Orbison - A Black and White Night
Party at the Palace - The Queen's Concert 2002
The Pretenders - Loose in LA
The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Live in Japan
Bruce Springsteen - Complete Video Anthology
Bruce Springsteen & E St. Band - Live in Barcelona
Bruce Springsteen & E St. Band - Live in NYC
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
U2 Go Home - Live at Slane Castle
The Who - The Kids are Alright - special edition

Tank (who would be happy to give anyone a capsule review of any of them if anyone wishes one)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What do you call it? Hum, Jamican music...Renagade.

It's the beat not the music that I listen to, that is why I like Classical. It calms my nerves. Whereas rap music irritates my nerves with all the "Boom" tempo and the screetching of records.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'll come out from behind the ficus and admit that rap music makes me move. Years ago I had sworn I'd never listen to the stuff, but I caved. Plus, since that's what they play at the clubs downtown, you either dance to it, or you sit around counting drunk people while other people dance to it. I like the bass, I like the drums, I like the fast lyrics...I don't necessarily like all of the lyrics themselves, but hey, how many of us can really understand them anyway? (Of course, this is based on my mother who cannot understand any lyrics outside of country. goofy )

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmmmmmmmm. This is one of these questions where my mind immediately goes blank and it's only later I remember all kinds of examples. goofy

Instruments - don't care about. Types of music - don't care about. As someone else already said, the criteria for me to be bopping around the office is something with a good beat - preferably something you can crank up real loud on a sunny summer's day and annoy the neighbours with. laugh

Current favourites are :

Ainslie Harrison's Keep Me A Secret (although Lynn's superb music video to that one means that now I kind have to bop while sitting at the desk as her images are too good to miss while playing it)

Avril Lavigne's Things I'll Never Say (although I've recently harboured the suspicion that some of the lyrics are nfic, which is disconcerting considering how many times the neighbours have heard it recently)

Keith Urban's I Wanna Love Somebody Like You

Roxette's The Look

Lily Frost's Who Am I?

And a couple of golden oldies: Status Quo's Rocking All Over The World and ELO's Don't Bring Me Down are always guaranteed to lift my mood and get the toes tapping.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I voted drums, since it's drums which produce the beat in 99% of pop music and a good beat and a nice, boppy tune are what get me dancing around the living room. Only one specific song comes to mind at the moment - Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go. I do a great 'bopping while ironing' routine to that, complete with lyrics and everything. laugh

Yvonne

Columnist
Columnist
I'm mostly posting to comment on this:
who's even been tempted to move to the rhythm of a copier machine
ROTFL, Pam! I work in a copy shop and you wouldn't believe how many of us actually do that. Everyday. I suppose it keeps us entertained. laugh

As for the question, I just love to dance, so I'll dance to almost anything.

~Anna

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
goofy Talk about entertainment. There are a bunch of ridiculous people on campus who love to pull the fire alarm at 3am, and it takes forever for security to get there and shut it off. By the time security gets there, half of us are bopping to the beat. (The other half are cursing about having to get up in 4 an a half hours.)

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, I voted but I should have choosed "other".

I mean: piano, violin and guitar. Bass, accoustic or electrical...it all depends on how skillfully it's played.

What kind of music moves me? Now this is a very personnal question! I guess that depends on the mood I'm in. I like music that makes my spirit fly, regardless of the artist. But it's even better if you can dsing and/or dance on it.

I have a thing for pop-rock music, jazz, blues, country, groove, hip-hop, irish, spanish and oriental music.

So I guess the answer is: all kind of music. Except heavy metal, hard rock and techno.

Oh yeah, "others": because the saxo was missing from your list and it's such a sensual instrument that IMHO, it could turn whatever tune into something absolutely stunning though mellow ('Hello' or 'Do it to me one more time' by L.Ritchie). And I'll add the flute too.

Another instrument that you would have vowed was nothing good out of a philharmonic orchestra is the oboe. But take Twist in my sobriety byTanita Tikaram...without the oboe, it's just a song among others.

And we have to make songs list? Okaaaaaaay, you want it, you got it:

-At Last by C.Dion tops it all. Music and lyrics are just WOW plus, like it or not, Celine has some unique voice print.

-I can love you better & Wide open spaces by the Dixie Chicks
-Burning Love & Mary's the name by Elvis
-Don't leave Home & Life for rent by Dido
-Sous le vent by C.Dion & Garou
-Lost without you & Not me, not I by Delta Goodrem
-Overdue goodbyes & Same old story by Anastacia
-Dinah by Fats Waller
-Take five by Dave Brubeck
-Arabian & Juntos (Arabian Flamenco)
-Lady writer by Dire Straits
- In my world by Avril Lavigne
-Fallen by Lauren Wood
-Why by Jimmy Sommerville
-Die another day by Madonna
-Murder on the dance floor by Sophie Ellis Bextor
-Drink the night away by Gaelic Storm
-Tres gotas de agua bendita by Gloria Estefan
-Sweet home Alabama (of course!)
-Sweet home Chicago by the Blues Brothers
-Desaparecido by Manu Chao
-Working on it by Mark Knopfler
-Inch'allah by MC Solaar
-Natural Blues by Moby
-California by Mylene Farmer
-Misson in Bombay by Nicolas Conte
-Don't speak by No Doubt
-Sinner man by Nina Simone
-She's got Betty Davies eyes by Kim Carnes
-She's like the wind by Patrick Swayze
-Fever by Peggy Lee
-Sitting down here by Lene Marlin
-18 wheeler & Family Portrait by Pink
-It don't mean a thing by Speak easy Swing
-Alabina & Baila Maria by Alabina
-Burning down the house by The Cardigans & Tom Jones
-Sorta fairy tale & Taxi ride by Tori Amos
-Come along by Titiyo
-La-bas by JJ Goldman and Sirima
-Real around the sun from Riverdance
-Jimmy Olsen Blues by The Spin Doctors
-Avalon & Lady in red by artists whose names I can't even remember
-any kind of song by Tina Turner, The Cranberries, The Corrs, Sarah Mc Lachlan, Morcheeba, Cindy Lauper, Norah Jones, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Tyler or Suzanne Vega.

Carole smile1

ethnica Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Now I've got their 'I'm Your Man' running through my brain. laugh

Blogger
Blogger
Ok, I like to listen to classical & jazz to calm my nerves..but, yeah, I think up-tempo/fast-paced music gets you moving..so the answer to your topic is yes it does get me moving dance party

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Now I've got their 'I'm Your Man' running through my brain
There's a coincidence. I didn't...until you mentioned it. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Blogger
Blogger
Your very welcome.. goofy wink

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nobody has mentioned Accordians thus far, and I'm thinking maybe that's because Accordians are considered keyboard instruments or even a wind/keyboard combo.

Weird Al has had such an impact on our culture this far and I gotta put his music up there with the motivational favorites you have all mentioned.

So many times I've been at the edge of dispair only to be dragged out hysterically laughing at Al's "One More Minute" and the whole "Bad Hair Day" Album. Props to Bill Gates on "All About the Pentiums" YO!

Considering his loss this weekend it's only fair to bid him a whole hearted salute and long distance Hug. mecry

God Bless you, Weird Al!

TEEEEJ

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard