Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Discussion crops up from time to time about whether fanfic writers are interested in getting published some day, or whether we just write for the fun of it. What with Debra Mullins (who wrote fanfic as Debs Manning) now an established romance novelist, and Erin Klingler's first novel coming out next month, I wondered what people's attitudes are to their writing.

And, maybe, what fanfic readers who don't write feel about it! There isn't an option in the poll for you, but you could always choose 'Other' - and post below, of course. wink

Comments, thoughts, below, as ever...

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I went for ''other'.

I only write fanfic for the fun or to experiment new things. I'm also published, but not as a 'stricto sensu' writer. It's fun too, on a more serious side... As a matter of fact, I'm getting back at it <g>.

Carole smile1

Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted for other, so I'll try to explain why...

Ever since I learned to write, I have written stories. Unfortunately, most of my stuff is unfindable now. frown I guess it was lost when we moved or lost somewhere around my grandmother's place. During high school, my friends and I used to write letters to each other. My best friend still teases me with the fact I often handed her eight pages about mostly nothing. <g>

My love for writing still excists. That's why I started to study journalism and will graduate this year. The last couple of years, I haven't written much besides tons of homework and boring papers. But it's always been in the back of my mind. I fantasise a lot; always wondering 'what would happen if...' and then I invent characters around it and they have all sorts of adventures. (Yes, I know I'm weird. laugh )

One of these days, I will actually write them down. I do hope to get published one day. Just not any time soon since there are so many other things I want to do first.

In the mean time, I'll write fanfic. I love tort... ehm, playing with Lois and Clark. wink I still have plenty ideas. In the year and a half I'm writing fic now, I notice I've improved a lot. I guess it'll take me another few years before I actually consider myself as an okay writer. (If that ever happens, of course, which I think is more likely.)

So in short, I'm a writer who hopes to get published at least once in the next sixty years or so but I'm completely happy with just writing fanfic. It's such a great learning experience and I owe you guys so much!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've never even thought about getting published, since I don't write stories outside of the few L&C fanfics I've written. If anybody were ever to publish anything I write, it'd probably be a technical book about computers, but even that is not likely to happen since I have no interest in writing one.

I have a lot of fun writing fanfic, which actually surprises me. I wrote my first one just because I had an idea and wanted to try my hand at it. Before that, the last time I wrote a story of any kind was in my diary when I was a little boy, maybe 25 years or so ago.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've flirted with the idea now and then - mostly when I was a lot younger, in my teens, when I tended to write a lot more original fiction than fanfic. I had a brief period in my twenties when I sent off a few vignettes for women's magazines, but lost interest there pretty sharpish. So never with any great seriousness.

Had a very brief spell some years ago when the notion of perhaps trying to convert one of my LNC stories into a romance novel appealed...but the romance genre isn't my natural home, so it never really got off the starting block. I'd be more likely to write SFantasy or mystery novels, but I have no real inclination to do that professionally either, so....

Generally, I'm far too lazy a writer to try it professionally - at the faintest whiff of any kind of deadline, my Muse promptly packs her bags and heads out into the hills, mortally offended by the very notion. wink I tend to write in fits and starts, one day picking up a WIP and dashing off 19 pages in two hours, then never looking at it again for another four months. I have no discipline. <g> And having someone tinker with my story as publishing editors do would seriously kill me. So it's not really for me.

I enjoy writing for fun and that's basically it. Doing it because I have to and having to adhere to criteria of various markets and publishers' rules wouldn't appeal at all. I enjoy just meandering along pleasing myself.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted for the 'dreaming about getting published' option. Trouble is, I need an idea first. I'm still waiting for that... <g>

Yvonne

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have ideas. I have WIPs. I have ambition. The problem is that I don't have the perspiration to go with any of them.

Thinking about it, I write fanfic because it's fun. More than that, it feels comfortable. I've been writing fanfic for an awfully long time and have worked my way through three or four fandoms over the years.

I've dreamed about writing a novel for a very long time. Oddly, when dreaming about original fic it usually does take the form of daydreams about novels, rather than short stories, which is odd because...

The only things that I have tried to have published professionally are two or three short stories. So far all I've got back are rejection slips.

Actually, that's not quite true. There is a very obscure non-fiction book Out There that has my name on it as co-author, but, to be honest I don't feel as though it's mine. I won't feel as though anything is mine until I'm sole author.

Maybe I should take Danny and the SPIES with me on my next island adventure... Then again, I've got enough stuff to carry as it is! Plus I predict that I'll be too exhausted with all the walking, cycling and whatever-else-ing to do any writing.

I guess that means I do have perspiration after all -- I'm just saving it for other things.

Chris

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I fantasise a lot; always wondering 'what would happen if...' and then I invent characters around it and they have all sorts of adventures. (Yes, I know I'm weird. laugh )
Weird? confused but, but... I thought that having people in my head was normal! At least around here wink

I'd like to be published -- and my husband would really like for me to be published, so I can have something to show for all the hours I've sat at this keyboard wink But first, I'd have to write something non-fanficcy, and then I'd have to gather up the courage to send it somewhere... so I don't know if that'll ever happen smile

I've thought about converting stories -- I re-did "A Special Child" without the Superman stuff (it was harder to remove than I'd expected), but then I never sent it anywhere. And for years I've flirted with the idea of re-doing Hearts Divided. That *would* take some work (ya think? goofy ) but I think it could be done... maybe when Marissa starts kindergarden, and I actually have a few child-free hours on a semi-regular basis...

But in the meantime I'm having way too much fun writing fanfic and hanging out with you all laugh And I have noticed a *huge* increase in my writing as the years have gone by, so I tell myself I'm not wasting time, I'm just honing my craft... yeah, that's it.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've thought about it a lot. The truth is, that I'd love to be published, but I'd survive without it.

I mean, it's a nice idea, and it sure is appealing, but when you get right down to it, to get published you need original fiction. laugh

The problem for me is that I need to know and love the character before I start writing about it. I should also be able to relate to it, a little bit. It also happens that I start writing, say, a couple of chapters, then I realize most of it is taken out a of a book or a TV show.

The problem for me is that because I want to write an original fiction romance novel, I need to work very hard on inventing my own stuff because I have seen one too many soap operas. goofy

When I think about it, everyone is inspired by something. A book, a real life event, a movie, a TV show. Characters and ideas don't just pop into your head, do they? I don't think I believe that authors just get the idea and it's just there.

For example, I have a WIP inspired by a TV show. Sort of. No, I don't mean L&C, goofy I mean a completely different one. It's not a crossover, by the way. I've also been tempted to write some stories about ghosts after seeing one too many horror movies. smile I don't mean to offend anyone, by the way. I just mean to say that something always has to start you off.

I've written half a book once, and then I got stuck because I tangled my own plot too m,uch and didn't know how to untwist it. Then a year after not touching it I threw that notebook out.

So basically, it's not as important for me to get published as it is to complete a book, for my personal satisfaction. So I can share it with people and get feedback from them, etc. If I can get that book published, it's a big bonus.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd like to be published -- and my husband would really like for me to be published, so I can have something to show for all the hours I've sat at this keyboard
Hey, Pam, do you think it's possible that we're married to the same man <g>? Boy, what I wouldn't give to be able to wave a big fat check in front of my husband's nose to justify all of this time on my little "hobby".

Actually, I've always wanted to write a book. I even have a couple that are well underway. But wanting to do it and knowing that you can do it are two different things. wink I'm planning on finishing the manuscript and letting it loose in the world. If only this pesky fanfic addiction would just let go of me!

Really, though, I do love writing fanfic regardless of the fact that it will never be published. Like Julie, it is so much fun for me to write about characters that I already know and love. And like Pam, I justify the hours (and hours and hours) I've spent writing it on "honing my craft," which is very true. I can see a difference already in my writing just from the experience I've had writing fanfic. In a way, the fact that the main characters are already set up as well as the world they live in, it allows me to really stretch my wings and try new things. And it's a heck of a lot of fun <g>.

Just wish it didn't suck the time away so fast. Those novels just keep getting dustier and dustier. Maybe once the kids are both in school...

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Way back in my foolish youth, I was under the impression that I was going to be an author some day. I even went to college with the notion that my major was just something to get me by until I could get published as a writer. Well, I forgot a couple of necessary ingredients.

First, you actually have to have some talent. And second, you have to actually write stuff.

I found that I was too lazy to be able to produce reams of story just for the sake of writing, which is what you have to do. The big time generally only comes after a lot of time spent in the depths of obscurity. I also found out that I can't write 'for the fun of it'. To me writing isn't fun, it's work.

I've known people over the years who have written all sorts of stuff, from poetry, to stories and then just put them away in a drawer. Never intending for anyone else to see them. For them, the act of writing is a reward in and of itself. For me, it doesn't work that way.

I wrote a lot of junk when I was younger, and I even tried to submit some sci-fi/fantasy shorts for a time. But that went nowhere. Then I discovered fanfiction and I found the way I could force myself to write.

I write for the audience reaction. Feedback is what keeps me comeing back to play in this little forum of ours. Writing for publication is writing in a vacuum. You have to have enough disipline to write a complete original story for and by yourself. Even if it should get published you don't really get any true feedback, just bad reviews wink .

Anyway, to publish has always been a dream, but the hard truth is; I don't have the tools to be able to do the job. So, I settle for terrorizing the gentle readers of this board, and this fandom.

Tank (who also finds it easier to not have to spend a lot of time with character descriptions since everyone already knows what the characters look like; ei: Lois has short dark hair)

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I've never even imagined writing a novel! I love writing, but my writing isn't nearly good enough to have anything published. I do have 2 papers being reviewed by journals, and I am only the first author of 1, but a short paper in Annals of BME is not the same as a novel or even a short story wink .

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I wrote years ago then got stopped by real life (AKA husband and children). Then I spent a few years as a technical writer on a NASA contract. Now that's exciting reading! I got back into writing with fanfiction but when I started reviewing books and getting to know some published authors I re-visited my dreams of writing, never thinking about publication. With the encouragement of several folks I have an original novel in the works. Some days the writing goes well. Other days all I can seem to write is "This is crap. This is crap. This is crap." But as someone said, you can't edit a blank page (I think it was Nora Roberts but I'm not sure). I've also been submitting chapters for a round robin competition on a website. Haven't had one of mine selected yet, but it's been a great experience and has forced me to work within a deadline. I'm even going to my first national writers' conference in July. I'm really excited about all the workshops and of course meeting some of my favorite authors as well.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Even if it should get published you don't really get any true feedback, just bad reviews
Not sure that's true any more these days, Tank. Most published authors have an eddress fans of their books can write to and websites devoted to their work. So you'd get plenty of feedback...erm, hang on, what am I saying...no, no...yes, you're absolutely right. The only place you'd ever get feedback is right here on the mbs. Stay away from the light, Tank!

LabRat (already regretting sending someone, who shall remain nameless (she knows who she is) a Buffy url since she now thinks Buffy fic might be easy to write...wouldn't want to accidentally encourage anyone else to write something other than LNC fic wink )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I would love to have a published novel under my name. I have had a handful of poems and one short story published on a semi-professional basis.

I write fanfiction because it keeps my imagination and muse stimulated, but I do work on original fics from time to time. My original stories & poetry can be found on my website. I posted a few here as well.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
LabRat (already regretting sending someone, who shall remain nameless (she knows who she is) a Buffy url since she now thinks Buffy fic might be easy to write...wouldn't want to accidentally encourage anyone else to write something other than LNC fic
Well, knowing who this nameless person is, but not wishing to sound biased in any shape or form, of course, I'd just like to add this: 'easy to write'?!?!?! Since when is that a good reason to write fic?! Stay right here where you belong, you...you...you nameless person, you! And don't budge until you've written at least five vignettes, a handful of short stories, a comedy or two, and sundry long and meaty stories! Okay? Got it?

Yvonne smile
(who is quite capable of invoking the true meaning of her IRC nick when provoked, ie EvilAuntY wildguy )

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Stay right here where you belong, you...you...you nameless person, you! And don't budge until you've written at least five vignettes, a handful of short stories, a comedy or two, and sundry long and meaty stories! Okay? Got it?
Right on. thumbsup

LabRat (who thinks the nameless faithless one will be hiding behind the ficus this evening in case Yvonne catches up with her... wildguy )

The Musketeers
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Well, I voted a while ago, so here's my story (and I'm stickin' to it! goofy ).

I voted that: I really want to get published and I'm working on at least one novel right now - once it's finished and I'm happy with it, I'll be submitting it all over the place.

I want to go to the bookstore and pick up a book with my name on the cover. I want to be able to tell people, "I wrote a book," and then, instead of having to say, "No, it's not published, I'm getting it ready to submit again," be able to say, "Yes, it's coming out such and such date," or, "You can get it at B&N."

I am working towards that goal. Rather than before when I just dreamed about it and then went to watch TV. wink I don't have as much interest in short stories, so I haven't really done anything in that area, but I have written a novel. I submitted it to a competition where the prize was a publishing contract. Unfortunately, I didn't win. frown But now I'm working on revising some stuff and then I'm going to send it out again.

And, now, finally, I've started getting new ideas and writing again. I've got a story that I'm working on right now as L&C, but I hope to later turn it into an original novel, too.

To add to what others have said, I love writing L&C because of the feedback -- encouragement, even when it's constructive criticism (as long as it is constructive wink ), keeps me going so much more than just writing on my own. I also love the characters and playing with them. And I have seen a huge improvement in my writing skills in the past couple years. Not trying to sound egotistical, honest! :p I admit I am not excatly objective when it comes to evaluating my own work. But I do believe I have improved, which is another reason I won't quit writing fanfic when I get ideas for it, even if I am working on publishing other stuff as well.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Tank - I was going to quote a couple of things that you said, then realized I'd have to pretty much re-paste your entire post!

You hit the nail on the head for me - writing isn't "fun", it's work! But the best kind of work.

I so much agree that the problem that I'm having wrapping my brain around this published writer thing is the thought that I could work for months or years on a story and have it end up under my bed in a box. Every time I read about a writer who's "fourth" novel was the one that got published my heart kind of rises into my throat. At this point, I don't even have an idea for my fourth novel <g>.

And I, too, really do get a lot of encouragement and motivation out of the immediate feedback provided by fanfic. Knowing that someone is reading the story and enjoying it (or not) is reward and incentive enough to write another one. I think that's why it was so easy to shelve the novels and let myself become addicted to this fandom.

Also, writing fanfic allows me to practice that whole "writing for the sake of writing" thing. I do so much love the characters and this particular show that writing for it is just plain fun. I can practice writing, learn from others and actually enjoy the process.

As for writing for other fandoms, I just can't imagine why anyone would ever consider it <g>! I, for one, am very loyal and would never stray. I have at least 10 more TOGOM rewrites in me just screaming to get out, not to mention the fact that I still haven't explored that whole perplexing mystery of where Clark keeps his spare clothes in that tight fitting suit. And I can honestly say that I see a story where Clark/SM and Lois come up against the ultimate, uber-villain in my future.

Except, perhaps, it could be that sometimes a writer (and I'm speaking hypothetically here) wants to explore a theme or genre that doesn't lend itself to a particular fandom so they might need to branch out a bit. For example, if this person wanted to see what would happen if, oh, let's see, Lois were attacked by a vampire, I'll bet a lot of LnC fic readers would roll their eyes and moan. Maybe even throw tomatoes or hurl evil threats at that writer <g>. Instead of inflicting such an OOC story on the gentle FoLCs, maybe this writer would write a story that belonged some place else? Not me, of course. I'm just saying...

Lynn

Edited to add: Bethy, you and me both! We'll be doing the happy dance when we see our books nestled on those heavy mahogany Barnes and Noble shelves!! I don't know about you, but I'm already assembling my entourage to accompany me on those book tours. Figure if I'm going to dream, might as well dream big!! JK Rowling is my hero and inspiration <g>.

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
what I wouldn't give to be able to wave a big fat check
laugh laugh

Ah, Lynn. What I wouldn't give to be able to wave a big fat check too, and I *am* a published writer! laugh First rule of writing: it's almost impossible to make a living doing it. I'm not saying it *can't* be done, but it's not very common.

Wendy, I clicked "other" because you didn't have a choice for "I'm a published author, but for a different genre, and fanfic is a fun hobby on the side." :rolleyes: I will add, though, that I have never written a wholly fictional adult novel. Fictionalized (sort of) autobiographies, yes. Novels for young adults, good grief yes. smile (Over fifteen and counting...) Magazine articles, yep yep. Children's books, definitely. Adapted translations of anthologies, lots and lots. But a fictional adult novel is relatively new territory for me, and I do enjoy swimming in the heated pool like this.

(A.C. Crispin's analogy: writing in an established universe, such as fanfic or profic, is like swimming in a nice heated pool. Creating your own universe is like trying to swim in a choppy, stormy sea. I've always liked it. smile )

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, Labby's convinced me.

The heck with that silly sequel to 'To Protect and Serve'. I'm going to chuck it all in order to write my novel.

Tank (who wonders, now he's decided to write his novel, what the heck he sould write)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/me shuffles into the forum in sackcloth and ashes, having been soundly chastised on irc and had all my ficus privileges revoked. Bad, Rat. Very bad.

I'm told I've broken my solemn duty as EIC of the Archive, which should only ever be to encourage authors to write LNC. Only LNC. Nothing but LNC.

I'm deeply, deeply ashamed. Honest. peep

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
As for writing for other fandoms, I just can't imagine why anyone would ever consider it <g>!
Actually, the first fanfic I had the guts to post on the internet was in the Forever Knight fandom. If not for the nice folks in that fandom and their encouragement, I'd have been too chicken to try writing anything else and posting it online. laugh

I tend to concentrate on one fandom for a while, then try writing in another fandom when my muse is blocked. It helps me to stay on my mental toes. I only write in fandoms where I really know most of the characters, though. wink

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Although I've chose the second one, I don't think my work is that good to be published. English makes my head spin as if I just came off of a spinning thrill ride. It is not even remotely possible for that wish to come true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard