Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WOW! Thanks for the link Pam, interesting!

They bulldozered DC's CDs?? eek Why didn't they just send one my way! <jk, well...>

Haven't you been watching CMT?
Laura,

CMT? Should've tried it while in the US, but I'm back 'home' now so, I guess the anwser's a flat 'no' blush But I must admit I like "Sweet Home Alabama " a lot. Listened to it over and over this last three weeks and it's totally awesome. smile

Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Willy Nelson, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, The Judds, Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Lonestar, Montgomery Gentry, Joe Nichols, Blake Shelton, The Dixie Chicks, Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Reba, Tricia Yearwood... well, you get the idea.
Pretty much, but thanks for freshening up my shattered Country memory. laugh

Carole smile1

Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted other because I like Faith Hill and the Dixie Chicks - but they're great singers despite being in the country genre. wink

I moved approximately every 3 years for 37 of the first 41 years of my life and have been exposed to many different types of music, but only Faith and the Chicks could ever overcome my aversion to 'them twanging gee-tars'. laugh My tastes were formed in the era of Motown, Bubblegum, and Disco, thumbsup

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I chose other because I have a fickle nature when it comes to music and am quite capable of liking some bits of any genre and not others, so can't really claim to be a fan of any of them. <g> Same goes for bands and singers. Don't necessarily like everything they do.
Totally, me too.

I'm lucky if I remember the names of songs and singer. Half the time I hear a song and never find out who created/sung....whatever...it.

I love the Dixie Chicks smile dance I think it is cool that they live in a country where they can express their thoughts and musical talents safely and where their fans laugh and non-fans mad can do the same.

I used to groan when I'd hear country music. I still do if it is too twangy. I only like maybe 20 to 25% of it. Maybe that's too high, or to low.. confused ..no too high..... dizzy .....no just right! huh Still don't know.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
I love country music. I think part of it stems from the fact that I spent four years in Texas, on the border of Mexico, where the only radio stations were hard rock, country, and Spanish. Since I hated hard rock and didn't know Spanish...I listened to country for four years.

However, I don't like all country. I agree with the anti-twangy stance. I can't stand the really old stuff. And even within the new stuff, there are certain songs that make me immediately change the channel. Not to mention every time the dee-jay starts to talk... (Our station has some of the worst dee-jays I've ever heard.)

I love the family songs, and the patriotic songs. I like songs like Lonestar's "Front Porch Looking In" and Alabama's "Down Home", which celebrate relationships, committment, real love (rather than selfish indulgence), family -- the things I hold important, too. And they do it with music I like, too.

Country isn't the only thing I listen to, by no means. But as a genre, overall, I love it.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Do you know what happens when you play a country music CD backwards? You get your woman back, you get your car back, you get your horse back, you get your house back and your dog doesn't die. laugh

I live two hours from Music City (that's Nashville for the uninitiated) and am on the waiting list to see "Nashville Star" live. That's like American Idol for country music. My sister and I went to the Grand Ole Opry for the first time last summer and it was fun. There were no big-name contemporary stars performing that night but Porter Waggoner, Bill Anderson and Little Jimmy Dickens were there. As I said, it was just a lot of toe-tapping, hand-clapping fun.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Top Banana
Top Banana
When my brother went off to Vietnam in '67 he trusted his 8-year-old sister to take care of his much-beloved album collection (and vinyl was fragile). I remember that besides the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Rolling Stones he had Aretha Franklin, the Temptations, the Supremes, Al Hirt, and Herb Alpert so I guess I could equate them with patriotism, since my brother was going off to fight for this country.

The only songs I personally think are patriotic (not just making a buck) are the National Anthem, The Battle Hymn of the Republic, God Bless America, and the military songs, i.e., The Army Song - The Cassions Go Rolling Along. And some of those have been used to make a little money too - remember Whitney Houston?

Growing up in the '60s and '70s, my own experience with country music was seeing it as the music of choice of a lot of people who were against diversity and inclusion. But I buy and play Faith and the Dixie Chicks because they are talented artists, despite their genre.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
For the most part, I really don't want to listen to country music. And yes, I'm from Texas and Alabama, so I can say I've sat down and listened to it. I'll listen to a handful of random songs, but that's it. I just don't run across many lyrics that I like in this genre of music. I'm not into the sweet love songs, and I'm not into the my dog died, I broke up with my girlfriend, my truck has a flat tire stuff. Oh, and I'll listen to Sweet Home Alabama just so I can play along with it. The guitar is awesome. So while I think there are some talented artists in this country world, it's just not my taste in music.

I will admit that another part of it somewhere in there is that I hate the redneck stereotype that goes along with country music.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard