Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, most of you know my thoughts on this one. goofy

I've been complaining for years that we don't get the winters we used to when I was a kid and this one so far hasn't been any different. I want snow darnit!! White Christmasses, not rainy, mild ones! And the list of weatherpersons on my 'to sue' list has increased mightily this week after I was faithfully promised that the whole of Scotland would be mired in blizzards over the past couple of days. The entire country was white on the weathermap! They got my hopes up! Gits. mad

As it was we had a very light mini blizzard at luncthime yesterday, which lasted half an hour, and since then we've had blue skies, sun splitting the trees and it's calm as a millpond out there. I'm sitting here in the office at home with the window wide open, basking in the sun! It's not natural, I tells ya!

Still...we did get some lovely pretty pictures beamed up from London on the news last night... <sigh>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!

I absolutely love snow. I look forward to it every year (and I live in a place that gets it, so you can't tell me, "Oh, you don't know what it's really like"), I do have some slight paranoia when driving in it, but as long as I can leave early enough that I'm not rushing, it's fine. And I won't even complain about the fact that the snow plow that is supposed to do our street never gets to it...all season. razz ), but it was sooooo beautiful! I was performing at a women's luncheon, but they had no power for their auditorium, so we were all in the basement of the church with generators and I had to dance on carpet. What can I say? It takes more than that to get me bummed about winter.

A lot of my friends say they don't mind the snow when it's pretty and white, but they hate the dreary gray sky we have most of the year here. <shrug> I don't know, I've never had a problem with gray skies. Rain, snow, thunderstorms, blizzards...bring 'em on! laugh

Bethy (who has lots of snow this winter and is thus ecstatic)

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hello. I am lovin' the snow. I have to buy a new shovel though. It broke. I'm 26 and I plan on making a fort! Kids now don't make forts.....it's sad. No one plays outside in the winter now on my street (I grew up on this street).

It's cold here too. With the windchill it's in the -30s to -50s (Celcius). The freezer at my work broke. We had to rush all the product outside at midnight last night. I'm happy for the snow and cold to help out there. Felt bad for the fix it guy who had to be on the roof that was about four stories up with no windbreak frown He was cute too.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Merriwether
Merriwether
What LabRat said. <G>

I enjoy the snow and wish we got more of it, the way it was in the 1970's in the Great Lakes area when the ground was covered from late November through early March. Now, you feel lucky if you get one or two good snowfalls all winter -- I feel cheated! I want my winter!

Here in central Indiana, we got a total of three 1/2 inch dustings in December/January -- totally unfair! Finally this week, we got real snow. We have about 6 inches on the ground ... the light powdery stuff because it's been super cold (low tonight should go below 0 F; highs are around 10-20 F). I think it looks fantastic and I have even gone out for walks at night, the temperatures be damned. smile The only thing I'd like better if it were packing snow so my kids could make a snowman -- my son is turning 3 in March and has never made one! He's long overdue. goofy

As I've been telling people this week, I'd be happy as a clam if it would just stay like this through all of February ... it can even stay cold like this, as long as we keep getting snow. Then when March comes, I'll be happy to welcome spring. smile

Bottom line, I love living in the Great Lakes area because we have four seasons. And I enjoy and appreciate each and every one of them. smile

Kathy

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Snow! What's snow? smile1

It's something that's never seen here, or for that matter, anywhere near here. goofy Even in the winter!

Tricia cool

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love snow..what can I say? i'm a winter girl!

Wait! Wendy? Does that means that there's currently snow all over UK?

I'm just being curious 'cause...i'm heading UK for three days...strictly professionnal. But I'd like to know if I have to bring my snow boots or if regular shoes are okay laugh

Carole (dashing to CNN weather channel) smile1

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Carole, don't get your hopes up. goofy We had a small amount of snow this week and, as usual, the entire country completely over-reacted, cancelling flights, closing schools and generally claiming that normal life as we know it was impossible. :rolleyes: Actually, what made it worse was below-freezing temperatures.

Anyway, temperatures are above zero today and the snow - what little of it there was - is virtually gone.

Admittedly, I wore snow-boots to work for a couple of days, though that was largely because I could goofy - I mean, after buying them in Canada I want to get some use out of them! And they did keep my feet warm. But they weren't really necessary from a snow point of view; only from a cold and slippery pavement point of view! wink

Oh, and if you want to know the weather forecast for where you're going to be, go to the weather page and type in the place you're going to. It's a pretty good site.

Wendy (who still sees unmelted snow on the university campus, but that's because we're on a hill so it's colder, and also because it's been walked on so much that it's hard-packed now)

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Carole, don't get your hopes up.
I wouldn't dare...okay, I would if I was allowed some 'tourist' time, and as it's not :p

cancelling flights,
they better not do that tomorrow, or I'll be really upset... scratch that, I'll be mad. Believe me, it's a thing you don' want to experience!

I mean, after buying them in Canada I want to get some use out of them! And they did keep my feet warm. But they weren't really necessary from a snow point of view; only from a cold and slippery pavement point of view
I did bought some snow boots in Canada too...I tested them in NYC <g>. but I guess here, i'll go for my french or german ones. More comfy and stylish with a business suit wink

We had cold wether here too these last days, even snow but, it wasn't that much. It was more for the decorative look of it.

Thanks for the updated weather forecast smile

Carole smile1

PS: Ireland was great!

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hmm...

Well, the kid in me loves it. Loves it loves it loves it loves it loves it <g>. We get TONS in Farneigh most years... big long hill + all the neighbourhood kids [and some adults, too! goofy ] + absolutely no traffic + lots of metal trays = happy, happy Sara for years and years <g>. There used to be at least seventeen snowmen/women on our front lawn, and nobody could leave the house without getting ambushed.

Of course, now that I've grown up I can see how foolish and childish that is laugh

As an adult... well, when you live literally in the middle of nowhere and the roads are treacherously dangerous *already*, snow [and the ice that comes with it] is a freaking nightmare. Tiny car, big tractor, mound of snow, black ice, dangerous bends... *shudder*. I wouldn't wish it on anybody! I remember one time in particular, when I skidded on a patch of ice and hit off the kerb four times, on both sides of the road. Thank goodness there was nothing coming!!

So I'm in two minds this year <g>. Looking up at the sky, wishing it to snow, at the same time begging it not to wink Then again, it could be a welcome excuse this year to stay inside all day and paint the pretty snow-capped hills behind the house... wink

Sara smile

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I live in New York, it is depressing. Snow and Cold and Ice and freezing weather sucks! If I never saw another snowflake for as long as I lived I wouldn't miss it one bit. I want to be in Hawaii or California where it is sunny , dry and warm all year. I get winter depression every year. There is some medical term for it. It has to do with the lack of light. I can not imagine what those poor people go through who live in Dark six months out of the year. Also I feel sorry for people that live in a cold climate all year.

Not only that, but for old people it is a nightmare. You can slip and break bones. People who break their hips die within 5 years usually.Your joints ache and you have to bundle up uncomfortably all the time. You can't get warm and it is dark and grey most days.

I hate it, I want out of NY. I am going to HAVE TO BUY A WINTER HOME IN ca, IF IT KILLS ME.

Anyway, that is my two cents on the matter<g>

Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
We're all forgetting about the best part of having a brutal winter.

BRAGGING RIGHTS

For years to come, you can tell everyone you know that you remember when... thumbsup

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Top Banana
Top Banana
I forgot to mention that my best friend is from Siberia, and so every time I tell her that it's cold outside she starts telling me that back in Siberia, when it gets up to -10 C it counts as warm. I guess it's all relative, because I had to get used to this after living in the Israeli climate for pratically my whole life (which was no fun).

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We got snow! Lots and lots and lots of lovely snow! It's a whiteout out there. Whoohoo!!! dance

#Happy days are here again!
#The skies above aren't clear again...

LabRat (who'll admit that she only likes it so much these days because she has no need to go out in it and can watch it all from the cosy comfort of indoors. Might feel differently if I had to slog to work on Monday through that. <G> )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
R
Rac Offline
Columnist
Columnist
R
To heck with winter. I'm done with it. This is the second straight January here in Boston where we've had average daily temperatures hanging in the single digits Farenheit. This January was one of the three coldest months ever recorded in Boston (those records dating back 110 years or so). With the windchill it has been absolutely miserable, often getting as low as -20 F (-26 C). It's been a bit warmer this week - it's funny how balmy 20 F (-6 C) can feel when you're used to -20.

I grew up in upstate New York, where we got tons of snow from October to March and I liked it as a little kid, because it meant snowball fights. When I was ten, we moved to southern California, which is where I lived until I left for college seven years ago.

For all those wondering if you get tired of nice weather, the answer is no. You never get tired of it. My parents call all the time to tell me how wonderful the weather is. Every day it's 'gee, it was nice today, about 75 (22 C)and sunny, so we went for a walk on the beach.' This is in December. They get some rain in February and that's what they call winter. If they really feel the need to see snow (which they never do) they can drive an hour and a half to the mountains and go skiing. I'd move back to southern California in a heartbeat if it weren't for work. Why is the financial capital of the world in New York City and not San Diego, CA? What were they thinking?

Rac

Top Banana
Top Banana
I haven't been anywhere near an Internet connection for two weeks, but I'm back shortly since I'm spending part of this weekend at Wendy's. smile And I can definitely answer this poll since we had snow in Manchester last week, for which I was extremely happy. It only lasted for a couple of days, since the Manc drizzle made it turn into sleet then ice (it hasn't always been funny walking to work in the morning on the very slippery pavement). Nevertheless, I love snow. Back in my part of France, we rarely ever get any (I think the last time we had snow that sticked to the ground for a couple of days was six years ago). So you can imagine how excited I was on Tuesday evening, when huge snowflakes started to fall and cover everything. jump

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love snow. I spent much of my childhood living in northern Virginia where it snowed reliably during the winter. Snow days off from school were a regular occurrence. Since leaving home for college, I'd been living in southern California and in the Pacific northwest, neither susceptible to much snow.

I miss it. This winter, we actually got enough snowfall/ice that we were stuck in our house for four days. While that isn't fun, I did like the fact that our kids got to see snow and play in it!

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard