Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
What's your preference? Romance novels? Action and adventure? Sci-Fi?

This poll is a companion to the thread I started in Fanfic Related here.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm... Well, my obvious choices are romance and the classics. But with some of the other categories, I'm not sure. I love Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and a couple of other fantasy-type series; but I didn't select that category because, with those exceptions, I'm not interested in fantasy novels. It's not that I don't know what they're like or have never tried them. My husband is an avid fantasy reader, but the books leave me cold. wink

Then there's comedy. I do, and have, enjoyed many humorous books, but there are plenty of so-called 'comedy classics' or supposedly laugh-out-loud authors who also leave me cold. But then, I've always known that I have a weird sense of humour. British comedy 'classics' such as Fawlty Towers and Absolutely Fabulous make me turn off the TV in under a minute. Scenes in Lois and Clark which have most FoLCs rolling in the aisles have done nothing for me. I'm just weird that way. goofy

I selected 'other', Yvonne, because I do occasionally read and enjoy political novels. I don't call them thrillers because they aren't all like that - Michael Dobbs' House of Cards trilogy was definitely intrigue, but Jeffrey Archer's UK and US political novels, while they try to be, are less so. (And, ashamed though I am to admit it, I do actually like some of Jeffrey Archer's work!). And I like other types of book; there's an author called Caro Fraser whose novels are set in a barristers' chambers, and I've read almost all of her books. They're not about court cases, although of course the courts figure in the books; they're about a set of people, but it's very hard to ascribe a 'genre' to them.

But the genre I read most frequently is romance. And, to relate this to your original question, Yvonne, that is no doubt why most of the stories I write are 'getting-together'. It's not that I'm not interested in Lois and Clark as a married couple; I just enjoy the thrill of the courtship, the gradually getting closer, learning to trust, the hiccups along the way, that first kiss... and all the way to declarations of love.

Yeah, I'm just a soppy romantic! [Linked Image]

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
I imagine that my reading tastes reflect in my writing style - like Wendy, I tend to write mostly "getting-together" stories. I love the idea of the first moments of a relationship, when man and woman first discover their attraction for each other and sometimes fight it, when heart and mind battle between reason and passion. I love writing about the first meaningful look, the first kiss, the first declaration of love. And yes, I'm a soppy romantic, too. goofy And whether it's the consequence or the cause, most of the books I read (barring teaching theory, but that's not for fun :rolleyes: ) are romance novels, though weirdly enough I prefer Regency Romance, and Lois and Clark isn't Regency at all. goofy

I also mentioned in the poll that I like to read the occasional comedy (mostly French stuff there). I used to read a lot of murder mysteries (when I was a teenager, I adored novels by Agatha Christie), and a great deal of classics: though most of these were for school, I still keep very fond memories of La Princesse de Clèves, Le Rouge et le Noir and Le Père Goriot - yes, French classics. I don't read as many these days - mostly I'm lacking free time, and so when I have time to read I go for fanfic or romance novels.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I voted for romance (which is always good, but I get it mostly here), comedy (like the Princess Diaries series, or like Louise Rennison's works), and thrillers (and here I can't bring an example because I never read them in English).

Lois and Clark fanfiction does have action and thrills in their A plots (and sometimes B plots), so that's always great. And I have to say that fanfic is taking up a lot of my read.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love Dreiser and Steinbeck (I knew East of Eden was a classic long before Oprah discovered it) and think Agatha Christie's Poirot is a genius, but enjoy a good mushy Catherine Coulter from time to time. After reading all the Jane Austens I was primed to become addicted to fanfic and nfic. laugh

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
The stuff I like to read now is the stuff I've been reading forever. I break down into three main categories. I like hard Science Fiction as in the works of Asimov, David Brin, O.S. Card, Bova, etc.
I have read a LOT of heroic fantasy, sometimes called Sword and Sorcery. The authors I've read under this banner are too numerous to mention, but Zelasny, M.Z. Bradley, Moorcock, Robert Jordon, and even a little known fellow named Tolkein are some of the names that have graced my bookshelves.

The other genre that I read a lot of (particularly in my high school days) is the spy/adventure novels typified by the works of Alistar McLean.

I consider myself a bit of a romantic, but you couldn't pay me to read a typical romance novel. The reason I can 'get into' Lois and Clark fanfiction is because I have an interest in the characters over and above the romance. If they were just Mary and Fred stories I'd have no interest in them.

The biggest problem I have is that I can't read as much as I used to. First, my reading online has taken time away from reading books. And second, I used to read in bed alot, but now I find that I fall asleep too easily (must be getting old wink ).

Tank (who has had six new novels sitting on his nightstand for over two years and has only finished two of them)

Top Banana
Top Banana
I love Dreiser and Steinbeck (I knew East of Eden was a classic long before Oprah discovered it) and think Agatha Christie's Poirot is a genius,
I couldn't hold myself from replying to this. Steinbeck makes me cringe. I had to read 'Of Mice and Men' and 'The Pearl' for school assignments, and I find his books too malancholic and angsty(that is not to say no one can enjoy them, of course).
My mother is a pure Agatha Christie addict- I used to even bring her books from my school library smile .

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
Merriwether
Merriwether
Another OSC fan, eh, Tank? cool Drop by the Hatrack forum sometimes -- fun place. thumbsup

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I mostly enjoy two main genres.

The first is SF Fantasy. Favourites on my shelves in this genre include C J Cherryh's Morgaine Chronicles, Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm, Robert Jordan, David Eddings, Patricia Keneally's Keltiad novels (now there's a series which oozes romance among the SF-F - Aeron and Gwydion's reunion after all their separate trials still makes my throat seize up, after many readings), Guy Gavriel Kay, Raymond Feist & Janny Wurts Empire series....to name just a few.

I used to enjoy humourous novels when I was much younger - Hitch-Hiker, Piers Anthony - but don't find they interest me so much these days. I have, however, become a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels in the last couple of years.

The second genre is US psychological thrillers typified by the likes of Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connolly, John Connolly, Jonathan Kellerman, Richard North Patterson, etc.

LabRat smile (thinking it's been too long since she read the Keltiad...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Steinbeck makes me cringe
Julie, will you try his 'Cannery Row' and the sequel 'Sweet Thursday'? I laughed out loud. There's no angst in those stories - promise. laugh

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Reading has always been a hobby of mine since I was little. I love reading literature, war in particular non-fiction stuff about war. Currently I'm reading Thoreau's Walden and I like it as for romance novels I have never in my life been interested in them (although I watched Lois and Clark my reason for liking it is totally not for the romance or to look at Dean Cain it was an entirely different reason besides I was like 9 when the show started go figure).

As for novels that I do like, Pride and Prejudice was always a favourite of mine because I really the kind of person Elizabeth is especially in a world dominated by men. War and Peace is good as is stuff be Plato.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I suppose there must be something about the way you guys write a good L&C romance because otherwise, I absolutely hate reading romance novels. goofy Meanwhile, I stick to my suspense novels: Grisham, Christie, etc, and my most recent book from my aunt...a James Patterson.

JD wink

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well I goofed up the poll because I didn't see that I could choose more than one option so selected "other". So I will explain here.

When I was young, I was a voracious reader of romance novels, then kind of dropped off because I think I caught a bad batch of poorly written too-formulaic stories. I have several authors that I still love and whom I can reread over and over again, though, and as I've started writing in that genre, I've kind of rediscovered the whole romance world.

By far in any genre of writing, I prefer stories that are relationship centric and involve a lot of romance and angst. B-Plot in general to me are best when furthering character development, so other than Grishom, there are few b-plot books that I've loved.

Being in a book club opened my eyes to a lot of current fiction that I might not have otherwise read, and I discovered writers like John Irving, Barbra Kingsolver, and many others.

Like Wendy, I loved the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter books but I've never explored the world of Sci-fi/Fantasy. But since I did really enjoy these books (and have loved movies like the Matrix and Star Wars) I think I may give SF/F a try. LabRat - I may start with some of those you listed as particular favorites - do you have any ones you'd suggest for "beginners"?

In all, I love to read. I have a stack of books two feet high sitting next to my bed waiting to be read, but somehow stuff like fanfic just keeps distracting me <g>.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Merriwether
Merriwether
I know you were asking Labby, Lynn, but I hope you won't mind if I interject a few suggestions. smile

"Starter" books for SF: Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game (and its sequels); Octavia Butler's Dawn; Ben Bova's Mars; Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle's Lucifer's Hammer; any collection of Ray Bradbury's shorts, especially I Sing the Body Electric!

For fantasy: Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight, Diane Duane's So You Want to Be a Wizard, Orson Scott Card's Enchantment, Terry Brooks' Magic Kingdom for Sale -- SOLD!, Robert Asprin's Another Fine Myth.

There are many more, but these are off the top of my head (and a peek at my bookshelf wink ). Enjoy!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lynn, if you're looking for action, angst, adventure, intrigue, dasteredly villians, shining heroes, betrayal, friendship, sacrifice, heaps of romance and all that and more in a fantasy setting <g>, I'd definitely recommend starting with The Keltiad.

In particular, the basic trilogy which deals with fiesty Queen of the Kelts, Aeron, is the one to start with. That's The Silver Branch, The Copper Crown and The Throne of Scone. Now, just to be awkward <g> The Copper Crown was actually first written and should be first read imo, although it's actually the second of the trilogy. Then TToS and finally, TSB. TSB is a prequel filling in the early history of Aeron and her cohorts, but reading it as two/three/one instead was the order I first read them in - where we meet Aeron just as the real action starts - and I do think they read best that way, filling in her background and the background of her friends later.

These really do have to rank as my ultimate favourite fantasy novels for wonderful characters, plot which has you on the edge of your seat, a breath-taking epic romance that's the equal of Lois and Clark's, and the most gorgeous lyrical writing style.

Guy Gavriel Kaye's Tigana and A Song For Arbonne are especial favourites and standalone novels, which follow one of the staples of SF-F - a band of disparate heroes on a quest.

I'd recommend Megan Lindholm's Windsingers series - Harpy's Gate, The Windsingers, Limbreth Gate and Luck Of The Wheels. And the books she's recently begun writing under the new name of Robin Hobb: The Liveship Traders and Farseer (Assassin) trilogies.

David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series are fantasy classics and well worth a read. I personally wasn't as enthralled with the other books he wrote, but adored those.

And Robert Jorden...sigh...well, much as I'd love to recommend him, I have a hard time doing so these days. IMO the early books in his Wheel of Time series just cannot be beaten. Wonderful heroes and heroines and the most complex plot I've ever read, with a cast of thousands. <g> But increasingly, the books have been disappointing, with many fans feeling that he's been drawing it out more than he should and each new book becomes leaner with the now three-times repeated excuse that it 'sets up' the next, rather than advances anything in itself. An excuse which frankly irks me mightily. <g> So, I'd hesitate to get you into reading those and then be disappointed later. But, OTOH...maybe you'd like them all. smile Certainly, the first seven books are masterpieces imo.

If you like something a little rawer, more Arthurian perhaps, two of Marion Zimmer Bradley's novels have pride of place on my book shelves and are well-thumbed. The Arthurian take, The Mists of Avalon and The Firebrand, which deals with Helen and the siege of Troy. MZB writes both novels from the perspective of the female characters involved and with a fresh approach which is entertaining.

The Empire books I mentioned in my previous post deal with the young heroine of an alien culture based very much on the feudal Japanese - with strict adherence to complex rules of social interactment, honor, loss of face, which mean that she's constantly battling to stay alive beset by enemy families and having to overcome them with her wits and cunning when her father and brother are killed leaving her alone to oversee her family honor and estates. Not easy when it's traditionally the male role. It's an intriguing series with engaging characters. And a romance subplot for good measure.

Oh, and certainly Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books are a lot of fun. Although I did lose interest in the later novels, when she switched from the medieval fantasy culture to a more technological based culure. But I still have a real soft spot for The White Dragon which makes me cry. <G> And the partnership and bond between the dragons and their riders was a real draw for a reader who's a sucker for fantasy creatures. One of the best depictions of dragons in fantasy novels I've yet to read.

You're sorry you asked now, aren't you? goofy Well, think as how I seem to have taken care of practically every book on the shelves behind me and given you enough to try out in a century, I think I'll shut up now. wink

Hope this helps and that you enjoy whatever you try. You should be able to find synopsis of plot on most of these online, but if you want any more details to narrow down the list, just email. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
I mostly like SF/Fantasy, Romance, and "young adult", which can really fit under any catagory.

Under the SF/Fantasy authors, I have Piers Anthony (Xanth series, Apprentice Adept series, Incarnations of Immortality series, and the one that is more history than fantasy, the Geoddesy series), Robert Jordan (tho he needs to finish the series!), Robert Goodkind (Sword of Truth series), and RA Salvatore (Hubby got me into the Drizzt novels).

Romance, I don't go much for authors, prefering to just grab what sounds like fun from the shelves. I have all of Harlequin's Love and Laughter series, and now I look for the Duets novels. I have most of Jude Deveraux's novels, but she's getting more into mystical romance, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Young Adult is probably the biggest section on my shelves. Anywhere from Louisa May Alcott to Lucy Maud Montgomery and Carolyn Keene, along with other random authors. There are still quite a few books I want to get, like older copies of The Little Colonel series, and Nobody's Boy, Nobody's Girl, and The Little Sister by Malot (I do have a french primer of Nobody's Boy, but it's nowhere near the full story). One of these days, I'm going to hit the antique stores to find them. I'm not a snob, I just like the lithographs. laugh

I do confess, I also have a lot of movie tie-in novels. I like reading the character introspection that you don't get on the screen.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Hmm, what novels do I like? What a tricky question. I chose "other" because no option could describe me, except maybe "I don't like to read anything except fanfic".

To quote one of my professors, "Reading? Yeah right. I'd rather watch the movie." That's what my MS advisor said when he saw my background on my laptop of the scene from Anne of Green Gables, the Sequel with Anne and Gil kissing on the bridge.

I guess I am one of the few people here that really doesn't read much other than fanfic. I absolutely LOVE the Anne of Green Gables books (but really only up until Anne of the Island -- I don't really like the ones where they moved from Avonlea -- I loved the Avonlea characters, not the ones in Glenn St. Mary!). After my friends made me watch the first Harry Potter movie, I went to the second voluntarily, and that actually convinced me to read the books -- if for no other reason than to see what these missing parts they were complaining about were.

Other than that, looking at my bookshelf, all of the other books that are mine are textbooks. My roommate loves to read and she has a shelf full of pleasure reading books -- but I've never really looked at them.

Like Karen, when I was younger I always read movie tie in books (and TV tie in books ... hmm wonder how I got started on fanfic) for the same reason. I wanted to see what the characters were thinking, not just what they were doing.

So I guess in the reading department, I have a lot in common with my MS advisor. I'd rather watch the movie first to see if I'd like the book. Then I'll think about expending the energy to read. And I absolutely NEED to read the last chapter of the book before I read the rest of the book to make sure it has an ending I am happy with before I invest any emotional energy into the book. Then I might decide to start reading. However, I have an insanely short attention span, so there is a chance, since I already know the ending, a few chapters in I will get bored of the book and forget about it forever, but know how it ends so I am not disappointed.

Like I said, I am a real wierdo.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
For all that a movie can provide a pleasurable entertainment experience, I've only seen one movie that was actually better than the book.

A book has the advantage of being able to more fully develop characters and 'get into their head'. A movie (like a TV show) can only show you the external. It's an old truism, but holds none the less. No one can visualize the characters and actions from a book better than you can yourself.

I personally have about a 100 hard cover novels, and 400 to 500 paperbacks strewn about on various bookshelves around the house. My friend who owns a comic book/game store keeps wanting me to sell them to him. Even though the likelyhood of my ever reading many of them again is nil, I still refuse. THEY ARE MINE!

Tank (who actually has to look into some way to find space for more bookshelves)

A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Even though the likelyhood of my ever reading many of them again is nil, I still refuse. THEY ARE MINE!
LOL! I echo everything you said in you last post, Tank, but especially this. My collection isn't quite as large as yours (give me time, give me time <G>) but I feel the same way about it. Even though there are plenty of books I'm probably not going to read again, I NEED them. I can't imagine giving them up. (Though I have to admit the thought crosses my mind each time I move and have to lug them with me.)

As for books vs. tv/movies there isn't even any contest for me. I LOVE reading and am only mildly amused by movies/television. Whenever I do see a movie I like, my first thought is usually, "I wonder if that was based on a book...." More often than not, it is, and then I wind up absolutely loving the novel.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Top Banana
Top Banana
I absolutely LOVE the Anne of Green Gables books (but really only up until Anne of the Island -- I don't really like the ones where they moved from Avonlea -- I loved the Avonlea characters, not the ones in Glenn St. Mary!).
I was agreeing until the last part. I agree the first three books are the best, but how can you say that??? You didn't like Captain Jim, and Miss Cornelia, and Leslie, and Mashal Elliot, and all the rest? I don't like "Anne's House of Dreams" as much as I do the first ones but the characters are interesting, fun, and capturing. I mean, of course Cornelia was no Rachel Lynde, but still. I have to say I am also one of those people who appreciate the books much more than the movies, and I am completely furious at the way they changed order of events in the movie and even changed and mutated the sequal. What would LM Montgomery have said if she were still alive?

I personally have about a 100 hard cover novels, and 400 to 500 paperbacks strewn about on various bookshelves around the house.
My collection isn't quite as large as yours (give me time, give me time <G>) but I feel the same way about it. Even though there are plenty of books I'm probably not going to read again, I NEED them. I
AnnieM and Tank, I wish I could have a copy of every book I love, but what happened to libraries? It is a slight disadvantage given the time limit, and the fact you have to give the book back, but I thought people stopped collecting books. smile I wish I could collect my favourite books and have them all on my shelves... I only have the ones I absolutely can't live without because I reread them at least once every year (the first 3 of the Anne of Green Gables series, plus Anne's House of Dreams -skip the 4th one because it is boring to tears- in a Hebrew translation. Had it sent straight from Israel smile ) and some others.

Julie

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I thought people stopped collecting books.
Are you kidding, Julie? eek Stop collecting books?!? I'd rather lose my entire wardrobe than lose my book collection! Even if most of it is packed in boxes in the garage ready for - I hope! - emigration within the next year, I would never be without my precious books. If I loved a book, I need to own it. If it's part of a series I love, even if I don't like the particular book, I need to own it to complete the series. If it's by one of my favourite authors, I need to own it.

I have a huge range of fiction, including classic novels and complete works of Shakespeare; political biographies and commentaries; plus hundreds of academic books in my office and which I will also be taking with me. I haven't counted, but must have well over a thousand books, each one of which is important to me. And, yes, I ran out of bookshelf space a long time ago! goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If it's part of a series I love, even if I don't like the particular book, I need to own it to complete the series.
ROTFL! I thought I was the only one who did this. goofy I tell myself every time that it's dumb spending money on a book I don't much like, but somehow when it comes to books I can't help but be compulsive. laugh

As for collecting books - grief no! There are some of still around. The amount of times I've had to return a book to library and then go buy it. If I enjoy a book I want to have it on my shelves, where I can read it again when the mood takes me. But libraries are good for testing before you buy. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I agree the first three books are the best, but how can you say that??? You didn't like Captain Jim, and Miss Cornelia, and Leslie, and Mashal Elliot, and all the rest? I don't like "Anne's House of Dreams" as much as I do the first ones but the characters are interesting, fun, and capturing. I mean, of course Cornelia was no Rachel Lynde, but still.
I didn't say I *hated* Anne's House of Dreams, Anne of Ingleside, Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside (okay, I don't particularly *like* them, but I can't say I hate them). Anne and Gil were the characters I fell in love with along with their supporting cast of Marilla, Rachel, Diana, even Mr. Harrison from next door, etc. To me, I was disappointed that Anne and Gil didn't seem like the same people they were in earlier books. I missed that in the earlier books Gil was a liberal while Anne was a conservative -- I thought they would have had spats over that durring the many political chapters. I also hated that Anne's personality seemed to change completely. Shockingly, I actually enjoyed the fourth book, Anne of Windy Pouplars, because it showed how much Anne loved Gil through her letters. In the later books, they focused on Anne's children, and some people know how much I hate it when characters' children are the main characters. I like to know that they have kids, or that they will be having kids in the future, but when kids start to talk and take too much of a character's time, that is too much for me. Anne and Gil were barely in the books at all, and they were very minor characters. That made me sort of blanche as I read these (mind you, I read them for the first time when I was about 7 and I still felt the same way I do today after recently rereading them for what seems like the 20 millionth time). And Rilla of Ingleside . . . I didn't like Rilla at all. I thought she was an unsympathetic character, so it didn't endear me to her as she changed through the book.

I have to say I am also one of those people who appreciate the books much more than the movies, and I am completely furious at the way they changed order of events in the movie and even changed and mutated the sequal. What would LM Montgomery have said if she were still alive?
I am the opposite. In most cases, I see the movie before I read the book and I have a preconcieved notion of what the book should be from the movie. I loved (and still love) and Anne of Green Gables movies (even the third one!). I have all of them on VHS and DVD just in case my VHS goes bad! I watch them once every two or three weeks. The scene at the end of the sequel with Anne and Gil on the bridge is my absolute favorite scene from any movie ever. I also like how they got rid of Roy Gardener and pretty much mutated the sequel. I kind of liked the movie better. I wish the third movie could have been different because it wasn't exactly what I expected, but I was glad they didn't go to Glen St. Mary for the whole movie and didn't really change the Anne and Gil characters like the books did. However, I might just think this because of my aversion to reading or because I saw the first two movies before even reading the books.

I wish I could have a copy of every book I love, but what happened to libraries?
Well, if you are like me, libraries don't let you take out books because you have trouble remembering to return them. I had to pay a very hefty fine to my university's library before tehy would let me graduate with my BS degree and a slightly less hefty fine before thehy would let me graduate with my MS degree. Fines apparently accumulate more in 4 years than in a year and a half wink . I am still not allowed to take books out at the Cuyahoga County Public Libraries or the Cleveland Public Library because of some fines accumulated in high school. Anyway, I did have a point here. You're saying that since a library lets you read books for free (if you are not me) no one should waste money and buy them. Do you think this about stoes like Blockbuster -- since they let you rent movies for cheaper than you ever could buy them, that means no one buys and collects movies?

My dad has shelves and shelves of books -- probably over 1000. He hasn't even read half of them. He is very into ancient armies, ancient wars, and ancient civilizations, so he owns many many many books on those subjects. He also has a lot of classic literature (but that is all up in the atic) because he was an english major in college and has a MA in English literature. He also has a MST in Physics, so we have all kinds of physics books lying around, too. My dad keeps buying books, not because he knows he will read them immediately, but because they might be something he wants to read in the future. He doesn't read as much now that his eyesight is getting bad, but every christmas and birthday he gives us a list of 50 or so books he wants smile .

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
AnnieM and Tank, I wish I could have a copy of every book I love, but what happened to libraries? It is a slight disadvantage given the time limit, and the fact you have to give the book back, but I thought people stopped collecting books. I wish I could collect my favourite books and have them all on my shelves...
Nothing happened to the library. I love the library. I go to the library all the time. There are tons of books that I'm interested in checking out only for a week or two. But when I love a book, I buy it. I like the comfort of having it close at hand in case I want to read it again or lend it to a friend. My friends joke that I have my own personal library, but it's really not a joke. At any given time, at least 15-20 of my books are being borrowed by friends. Everytime I see my best friend (who lives about three hours away) we have a book exchange. Also, probably 2/3 of my books are nonfiction - either biographies, books about politics or journalism, or reference books. I like owning them so that I can go them when I'm writing an article or studying something or talking to someone about a certain topic.

Finally, when the library doesn't HAVE a book I want, I buy it. We have a nice library, but it's relatively small, and the waiting list for some popular books is ridiculously long. That's not a criticism of the library - that's just a fact. When I discover that I'm 37th on the list for a book I want and muliply that by three weeks (the length of time my library allows us to keep books) I realize that it could be TWO YEARS before I get that particular book. Now, granted, there are usually a couple of copies, so it's usually closer to six months. But still, I'd rather not wait six months for a book when I could walk into Barnes and Noble and walk out with the book in my hand. Especially since part of the appeal of reading a popular book is to be able to discuss it while it's still a hot topic. Also, many of the non-fiction books I own are older and/or cover very specific topics that aren't necessarily interesting to the general public, so many of them aren't carried by my library.

As for this part...
I wish I could collect my favourite books and have them all on my shelves...
Why can't you? Your problem might be that you are a teenager and live with your parents so you have limited space. But once you have a place of your own, you certainly can own all the books you want. And I owned at least a hundred books before I graduated from high school and moved out. I'm sure you could have a bookcase of your own and fill it with books. Even money is not a real object. Though I admit to spending more money than I should at chain bookstores, I buy most of my books used either through amazon or ebay.

Annie

Top Banana
Top Banana
Do you think this about stoes like Blockbuster -- since they let you rent movies for cheaper than you ever could buy them, that means no one buys and collects movies?
That is a completely different topic. I have a lot of good movies on video, because I record them off the TV when they're on. All of them are collecting dust. When I get attached to a book, I can read it over 20 times, and still want to reread it in the future, and sometimes when I feel like it I just open it to a certain fave segment and read that. No books I have sit untouched for more than a week. With movies, I can't see myself watching the same movie 40 times without cringing everytime I see an actor or some other reminder of it in the future. Of course, everyone has exceptions, mine is 'The Sound of Music' (and L&C eps, but that's all of us). Heh. I usually don't feel the need to see a movie so much that I go and rent it. I either see it in a movie theatre when it's running, or I wait for it to air on TV (or I download it, but that's a last resort).

(The X-Files)
Merriwether
Merriwether
The Library : noun; (1) A place where you go to test drive a book before you buy it; (2) A place where you go to window shop for books and return them because you're too broke to buy all the ones you want. wink

Seriously, I prefer to own books instead of going to the library. I haven't had a library card since I moved to NC 5 years ago, but that's mostly because I have a stack of books that I own and haven't read yet! One of these days, I'll check out the local library, but until then, I don't miss it... too much. I'm busy building a library of my own.

I actually prefer books to the movies. While the Anne movies are good, I think the books are even better. However, as I learned with Jurassic Park: The Lost World, you must always watch the movie, THEN read the book. Otherwise, you're ranting and raving all the way home from the theatre about how this was changed, and that was left out, and this other thing was completely wrong.

Which reminds me, I still have to find a copy of Neverending Story. There is just something fascinating about a book that uses different color text to differentiate sections: green text for Fantasia, and red text for the real world. *mumbles to self to figure out when to hit Barnes & Noble*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Merriwether
Merriwether
Huh. The copy of Neverending Story I read was all in ordinary black text. huh

I think. It's been a few years.

Y'all just need to move near better libraries. laugh I live near a GREAT one, and am exceedingly thankful that I do!

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I voted "Others" because I don't read novel. All my books are refrences or short refrences on Cats and Technology.

I would never be able to read through it. I have the attention span of a three-years-old. Even in conversations my mind wonders after only about five minutes that's why all the fanfic I write are so short. I just write it to the point no frills.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm printing out this thread and pinning it to my husband's forehead the next time he complains about how many books I have on the dozen or so bookshelves around our house. Books are my passion. I collect them, hoard them, am loathe to get rid of them even if I hated everything about a particular book. Throwing a book away is akin to chopping down an ancient tree - it is just sacrilege!

My dream is to convert our currently un-used loft into a library, lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves which I will fill within months. Others lust after fancy cars and massive houses - I envy people with dedicated libraries in their own homes. I already feel sorry for my children because when I die, they will be stuck disposing of all of my hundreds and hundreds of books, and if they don't find good homes for each one, I will haunt them bitterly <g>.

My problem is that my collection has far outpaced my time - I have far more books to be read than I have time to read, so I've had to impose a moratorium on book-buying. And I got two book store gift certificates for gifts this Christmas that are really burning a hole in my pocket!

My town recently opened a brand new, $24 million library which is absolutely stunning. However, I do think that they owe me at least a little plaque with my name on it because my overdue library fines paid for one entire wing <g>. It is one reason that I tend to buy books, especially novels, rather than checking them out - I usually end up paying late fees which I could have spent on the book itself. I find that I use the library more for reference materials - things that I need or want to know or study but don't feel the need to keep.

As for books before movies, I generally find that to be the best way for me to experience the story, although I do have a tendency to whine when the director massacres a beloved book (i.e. Francis Ford Coppola's heinous treatment of SE Hinton's The Outsiders - I'm still weeping). But on occassion, seeing the movie will inspire me to read the book and I will discover something amazing - ala Lord of the Rings and Sense and Sensibilities and Pride and Prejudice. I've kind of vowed that with my kids, I would like to read classics together then see the movies so they can experience the story the way the author meant for it to be experienced. I also think that it is good for the imagination to create your own pictures from the words. A lot of times when I'm reading something I just love, I'm internally casting the characters for the movie. wink

Lynn

PS - Thanks, Lab, for the suggestions. I'm breaking my moratorium to pick up a copy of those Keltaid novels. Checking them out of the library simply won't do - I need time to savor them!

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
My dream is to convert our currently un-used loft into a library, lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves
Ooh. I've long said that the only real requirement for my future home is a library with a floor to ceiling bookshelves and comfy chairs for reading. I don't care if it's meant to be an office, loft, or what. But I want a room solely dedicated to books and reading. Someday....

As a side note, I used to have a professor who had a whole guest house for his books. It was insane (in a great way <G>). The whole house was lined with floor ceiling shelves overflowing with books. The house was fully furnished, and we used to hang out there sometimes. We used to love wandering around. He had all kinds of obscure books, the vast majority of them old and out of print.

Annie

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My dream is to convert our currently un-used loft into a library, lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves which I will fill within months
<whimper>

LabRat (whose dream is to win the lottery, point one seconds after which, she would sit down at the pc, open up Amazon, crack her knuckles, go "Right then..." and click, click, click.... )

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
My dream is to convert our currently un-used loft into a library, lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves which I will fill within months
I agree with Rat. *whine* I want that much room. *looks speculatively at the long wall in the living room, wondering if she can build her own shelves back there, and how best to do it*

Merriwether
Merriwether

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL, Rivka, now every time I step into a library I'll be thinking about that article! laugh

Julie smile

(The X-Files)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I went for the 'other' category, partly because I don't think I favour any genres particularly, but mostly because, like Lynn, I didn't read the instructions on the poll carefully enough!

The problem is, I don't like one type of book more than any other, although if I find an author / series that I like, I'll usually make an effort to binge my way through them.

I can think of examples from nearly all the categories on Yvonne's list that I have loved... but I've picked up books from them that I have hated. I guess it all comes down to the individual titles, and whether I'm lucky enough to come across something I want to read.

Romance: I loved a couple of Mary-Jo Putney's books, but got bored after a few. I'm hoping that, by resting the few I have yet to read, I'll come back to them with fresh eyes.

SF: I loved Asimov's Robot stories (Caves of Steel etc) and rather liked a few Heinlein's too. I've read some other 'classics', which were interesting enough for me to finish, but there are plenty more than have left me completely cold and which I abandoned.

Fantasy: I'm not a fan of fantasy as a genre, but there are a couple of things that leap out. I'm addicted to Harry Potter... and I love Matt Ruff's Fool on the Hill. What both of these have in common, though, is that they are twisted versions of our own world. The weirder fantasy gets, the less I like it.

Action: this is one category that I probably would avoid. I can't think of any book of this type that I have adored. Sorry, action lovers!

Murder mystery: I'm not as opposed to this as to action, but again there are no books in this that I would say I just had to have on my bookshelves.

Thriller: one name: Dick Francis. smile Loved them.

Comedy: I'm with Wendy, here. Most laugh-out-loud books leave me cold. I remember having hysterics over Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy when I was a teenager, but thought the books got progressively less funny as the series progressed. And, I'm sorry, but I really don't get along with Terry Pratchett! I tried to like him, I really did. I just failed miserably. Oh, and why do people like Jeeves and Wooster? Never seen the appeal, myself.

War: the few war books I've read have tended to be unbearably depressing. Mind you, I did like Journey's End, which I had to study for English Lit 'O' level. That was a good book. (Short, too, which is a bonus for examination study. smile )

Classics: curiously, this is the category that I was happiest with, which is odd because I've never considered myself as much of a classics buff. There are a couple of Dickens I like (Nicholas Nickleby being my ultimate favourite -- not that I've read them all yet). I like the Bronte books I've read. I love Pride and Prejudice, although other Jane Austen has failed to grab me. Some Jules Verne (not the SF) is pretty terrific, too. (Has anyone else read Michael Strogoff? Stupid ending, but fabulous adventure story.) And, most of all, The Count of Monte Cristo. (I don't like Alexandre Dumas' musketeer books, though.)

Then again, there are plenty of classics that I've tried and abandoned. What can I say; I'm a lazy reader. I read for fun, not duty. Now that I don't have to read anything for English class, I can abandon at will... and I regretfully confess that I do. smile

Oh, and one category that is not in the poll but which I would avoid like the plague is horror.

Phew! Enough said for now, I think. smile

Chris

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well Lord of the Rings tops my list of favorites in the fantasy catagory. Loved Madaline Engles? Not sure of spelling, A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Moving Planet, And A Wind in the Door. Also read The Narnia Cronichles, I liked tThe Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe best. Harry Potter books are good as well. Dark fantasy, the Elric stories, the soul sucking sword guy is interesting. I like Sci Fi also. Ray Bradbury books, Michael Chricton, some Stephen King. I also like action stories, Dan Brown keeps your interst with, Deception Point, Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci codes. Angela's Ashes was depressing as hell but good. I can't think of the Irish writer who wrote it. I loved biographies as a teen, especiallly Helen Keller type stories.
Books I've hated
Moby Dick...more about Whale blubber then I care to ever know
The Scarlet Letter...depressing, frustrating, did I say Depressing!
Johnny got his gun...Horrible based on a true story about a soldier who has his face blown off, his legs and arms destroyed, he can't see or speak, I am not sure if he could hear either. It made me want to jump out of a window!
Lord Of The Flies...horrible children doing horrible things!
Well that is my two cents for now. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I don't have the time to read like I used to <sigh> but between us, my hubby and I could probably stock a small library. Both of us are science fiction fans but from there our tastes differ. We both loved the Lord of the Rings in the theater, but I only skimmed the books. Reading Tolkien is *work*!

I read SF, Fantasy, Romance, Regency romance, Mystery (big surprise there, right?) historical novels, action-adventure, Gothic, and humor -- if it's wrapped around a good plot. I've read the original "Peter Pan", "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass". I've also read almost all of the "Oz" books, both by L. Frank Baum and subsequent authors. I have problems with many of the classics because they're often depressing, and like Chris, I avoid Horror like the plague, either in movies or in books. My imagination must be a lot more active than even I realize because things like "The Twilight Zone" and Stephen King novels will give me nightmares for weeks afterwards.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard