Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Well, this is a COMPLETELY irrelevant question, but it's been bugging me since school began and thought I'd ask you.

Has it ever happened to you to study a lot, feel like you know everything the teacher is going to ask, answering all the questions they ask, and yet in the tests and exams get grades that reflect just an average student?

Last year I had the best grades in the school, but this year my grades in most exams have dropped quite much, and that's just not me. I lose points for not noticing something I should have, or not having time to finish the exam, or, the worst: It doesn't occur to me I should do or write that little thingy, too :rolleyes: - never because I don't know something. My father says that it's because I stay up too late and I can't concentrate next morning, but it can't be, because I did that last year. I can't believe what's happening to me!! whinging

Thank you for taking the poll and for reading my babbling.
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

My experience when a was in college. I remember when trying to bottle a lot of information at last minute I block and just go blank.

I never study the day before only a one last time reading and be relax.

MAF evil

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yes was my vote

I find it happens to me when I do not get enough sleep. Cramming does no good. I get my best grades when I study everyday, but not in a cram style.

The night before the exam I just go over a couple of things, go for a jog and make sure I get a good sleep. If I know I won't be able to sleep I do a wicked workout and then study and hit the sack.

I unfortunately have not done that this term and I think I am going to get an A+ in one class and fail my other. I have only ever failed a class once before. ARUGH!

I'm very mad at myself for messing up this term. Oh well. Lazy Lazy Lazy I am. You would think I'd learn after being in school for so long! (I'm 26). Bad Ro! Bad Bad Roo!

Good Luck!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I am exactly the opposite. As an undergraduate in college, I was the only person I knew that actually enjoyed taking final exams -- because I almost always did well on them even when I didn't do well on regular exams or occasionally forgot to do my homework wink . I am the complete atypical student. Cramming works wonders for me! Often I don't even start studying until maybe 8pm or 10pm the night before the exam. I stay up until 4 or 5 am, get maybe 3 hours of sleep, and ace the exam.

I know I am weird. I know far more people that hate exams than love exams. A lot of my friends just go blank even though the night before they would be able to talk about the material very intelligently.

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Most of the things you wrote, Laura, work for me too. It's just this year's exam grades that upset me. They're just unexplainably low. frown

I also have a very weird schedule. It's not the same every day, but, more or less, after I get home from school and the other activities I participate in, I eat, I take a shower, I have an afternoon nap of two-two and a half hours, wake up at 7-9 pm (depending on the day) and THEN I study. When I finish I log on here and stay up until 1-2 am., and next morning I wake up at 7.10 am.

What can I say? I'm a weirdo. Beware! laugh

Thanks for your answers.
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I voted one big fat yes, but I also have some terrible professors this year.

Dr. Nolan just does not teach at all, so we teach ourselves the book, but heaven only knows what he feels like putting on our exams. His basic method of teaching is deriving equations (oh yeah this is Physics I) that we don't need. He puts so many variables on the board that he has to start priming his y's and omega's or else we can't tell them apart. It's sort of the twisted highlight of that class while I'm sitting in the back doing my Cal III homework. I plan on making myself Y' and W' (closest thing to omega I've got LOL) shirts over Christmas break.

That brings us to Cal III with Dr. Cyphert, one of the most vengeful people I've ever met. He got so mad at us one day for not bringing our books that we a) never use in class and b) he doesn't ask us to bring that he turned our take-home exam that normally takes about 5 hours to do into an in-class closed-book exam 2 days beforehand. Then after we all failed, he admitted to being overreactive and gave us a make-up. I did every single homework problem right and still managed to fail the first time.

The real reason I voted yes was for the ever-lovely Organic class I have. Really, it's not so bad, but I don't always stay on top of my homework. Her exams are impossible though. We finally had to complain that the examples she gives us are nothing, and I mean nothing like what's on the exams. So she said she'd try and give better examples next semester.

I'm sure that's way more about my life than you wanted to know, but I found all of it amusing in a it's-1:30am-and-I-have-nothing-better-to-do sort of way.
JD smile

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
My vote was yes.

Last year when I was writing my exams in February, I did a horrible frown job on them even though I did study the night(s) before and I didn't cram it. My highest mark was in Math (84%). How bad is that? I have friends who hardly did homework or stayed awake in class, and they studied and scored 90's.

*sigh* This year my Drama teacher keeps threatning she'll give us a final evaluation in the form of a written exam if we don't stop chewing gum in the Drama studio, because it's carpeted and you know what gum does to carpets. Not that that was of any relevance. wink

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard