What would they choose?

#232598 11/04/03 05:40 AM
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
I have this discussion scene between Lois and Clark in my mind. And with a lot of luck, I may actually get round to writing it. I hadn't realised how difficult it is to write until I sat in front of the computer with the scene in my head, and the words refused to flow.

But I digress. laugh

The poll is based on a Chinese legend, The Cowherd and the Weaver-girl (for those who have heard of it). Basically, at the end of the story, they are separated for eternity, but they are allowed to meet once a year, on the 7th night of July.

Suppose if Lois and Clark were discussing about this fable, how do you think each would choose?

1) To be separated, but with the guarantee that they'd be able to meet once a year, forever.

2) To be together always, for the short span of their human (and very mortal) lives.

And why?

#232599 11/04/03 11:36 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
remember "the moments" that Clark talks about in Brutal Youth? I don't remember Lois' reaction as much in that window scene, but you may want to re-watch that scene for ideas for your fic.

or not, as the case may be wink

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi
#232600 11/04/03 02:12 PM
M
metwin1 Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
M
As for the importance of moments, I'm not sure if this poll has relevance to the "moments" point put forward in BY. That's why I'm unsure.

In BY, Clark's point was that it was more important to the moments spent together rather than worry about the possible time span that they may or may not have together.

But for this case, remember that they can still have their moments together if they meet once a year forever. And in the long run, perhaps they'll have many more memorable moments together anyway. Remember that "forever" is a long time. smile

For Clark, I'm pretty sure that despite everything, he'd choose Option 2. That's just a gut feeling.

For Lois, I'm not so sure. I suppose Lois will get round to Clark's thinking at some point in their relationship.

But at the beginning? I mean, she was reckless and would do whatever it took to get a story (to a certain limit) but she was very cautious regarding relationships. My gut feeling is that Lois would have chosen option 1, as she was looking for guarantees in a relationship. Meeting once a year is tough, but there's a guarantee that this will be forever. There's no risk involved.

Let's consider a Lois that's still not confortable in a relationship. Say S1 till mid S2 Lois. What do you you think?

twins
metwin1

#232601 11/04/03 06:20 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Well, my opinion might be slightly biased, because to some extent I wrote a "once a year" story. In In Dreams Lois and Clark were allowed to be together for nine nights a year. They were happy those nine nights a year, but they were really miserable that they couldn't be together "for real." Admittedly, that was only my take on the situation. And they didn't have any promise of eternity in exchange for being alone 99% of the time. But I can't see them choosing to live that way for any reason.

As for risk, just because you're allowed to be together once a year forever doesn't mean you're going to be in love forever. It doesn't imply any more committment or permanence than a regular marriage would. There's no risk of painful separation in the sense that you're not going to be suddenly widowed, but the price for that is that you're going to be painfully separated every year at the end of your one night. And you're going to have to endure that parting over and over forever? Doesn't seem particularly desirable to me, when offered a choice of something else.

But again, I've got a different perspective because I've looked at a similar issue. Anyone else have thoughts?

Kaylle

#232602 11/04/03 06:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i think, as long as l&c know they'll be together, they'll be happy.

that said, i can't see either of them choosing once a year for eternity over an unknown but more natural lifespan. continuity is important, imo. more, it's what we're used to, in a very basic sense. i think it would take a lot of convincing to look past that, and i'm still not sure i'd see either of them choosing it.

as for an earlier lois, she'd have to choose to be with clark. then you're getting into all sorts of things with lois accepting clark as her soulmate, and then accepting that she can only see him once a year.

there's also, as mentioned, clark talking about living in the moment and taking things as they come and trying to have a normal life together, despite all the weirdness in their lives.

that's the one place where you might find lois starting to agree with you. because, in that ep, she's afraid that she'll grow old and clark won't. if this eternity deal includes her not aging, then that might be enough for her to have second thoughts.

i still think, in the end, she'd choose a lifetime over one day a year for eternity, but i do see that there's a reason for her to give it some thought.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard