Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just curious... TV Guide says Stargate is a huge hit in Europe, but I'm not sure how much trust to put in that. So I thought I might as well ask. smile I know we have a legion of discriminating viewers here, with demonstrated great taste in TV shows wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There's one option you didn't include, Pam:

Not remotely interested myself, but my partner loves it! wink

My husband adores it and is avidly collecting the DVD boxed sets as they come out. Me - I leave him to it! goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, Stargate SG 1 *is* a huge hit over here in France; prime-time slot and all, apparently many viewers... but I didn't get hooked myself and never watch it. I know several people who wouldn't miss an ep, though!

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Top Banana
Top Banana
* Heard of it (because of Wendy's John <g>) but not really interested in finding out when it's on. For all I know, I'd love it if I actually watched it.

Didn't vote in the poll, 'cos none of the options fit my answer. smile

Yvonne
(okay, this is an edit to say I've now voted 'not heard of it' since that seems to be the closest)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know...I procrastinate with the best of them. So I'm quite surprised to say that I haven't heard of it even with all the tv that I've been known to watch...

BTW, is it popular in the States, too?

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was a huge Stargate fan, but found season five and six a bit of a washout, so my attention waned until by the end of season six I was barely watching and had given up taping.

I had actually thought that season six was the last one and was delighted to find that not only was there a season seven, but that Daniel was returning (we've yet to see this season here). So I'm really looking forward to seeing that and hope it proves more interesting than its predecessors. smile

Still a big fan of the early days though, regularly watch my tapes of seasons one - three and hope to get the DVD boxed sets at some point. jump

Generally speaking, yes, it's a very popular show here in the UK, with a large and enthusiastic fan base.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
The last option came closest to me. I have heard about the show, but for all I know, it doesn't air here. It's shame, I have a feeling it would be a show I'd actually watch.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love this show. I've followed it since it began on Showtime six years ago (currently in seventh season) all the way to its sorta new home on the Sci-Fi Channel. I own all three seasons of DVDs currently out.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Blogger
Blogger
I love that show, both my mom and I watch it every chance we get. Although I don't agree with all of the article, in no way shape or form will Stargate ever be Star Trek. I can't forget Trek, it was my first love. Stargate is realy good, and has some great characters and storylines, but Trek is.... well, all you Trekkers know what I mean.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Just out of curiosity, what season am I watching? (No cable, they show it in syndication on Fox and UPN.)

Daniel leaves? <sniffle>

Skitz, I'm with you on Star Trek!

But I do love Stargate too. I even watched it when it had a 3am slot... but thank goodness it's 9pm (and 4pm on the other station) now!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Daniel came back this new season.

I love the serie but, the Scifi Channel always change the hours.

http://www.scifi.com/stargate/

http://www.sg1archive.com/

MAF laugh

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Daniel leaves? <sniffle>
Whoops. Apologies, Rivka, it didn't occur to me that that was a spoiler. frown

I've edited the header of the poll to warn others spoilers might be in this thread.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Labrat you are bad. smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, Daniel is gone for Season 6 and returns for Season 7, the current season on Sci-Fi Channel.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Merriwether
Merriwether
heh, doesn't surprise me you'd post this, Pam! I'm also an avid watcher of SG1 (and loyal Daniel fan!). I'm curious to see what happens this season. And not only has it come back for it's 7th season, they've already announced it's returning for an 8th season, making it one of the longest running scifi shows (beating out Star Trek -- none of the series ran longer than 7 seasons). Plus, there's going to be a spin-off.. Stargate: Atlantis.

Okay.. I think i know too much. Best hide now. wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Roger,

You are right. Is 7 season.

Thanks

MAF laugh

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
MAF
Columnist
Columnist
I'm an avowed Gater - and Sam/Jack shipper. But I haven't seen since the end of season 5, since in Canada we are a season behind Europe it would seem (crazy, since they film IN VANCOUVER, where I live!), and then I have been in Korea for a year nearly. Oh well - I see that Space is going to be airing it in the fall when I get home. WTG, kids, I'm a happy camper - or will be smile

Melisma (bouncing around under her Rock at the idea of going home - Korea is great, but she misses Canada...)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, Mel, on the Sam/Jack front, things are pretty much the same as always, so you haven't missed much there. smile TV Guide alleges that they'll become "closer" in season 8, but I'm cynical -- I'll believe it only after it's been an accepted part of the show dynamics for about a year...

PJ
who got jerked around too much by Farscape razz

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I kind of liked that the Sam/Jack dimension was understated - it meant that you got some nice waffy/comic moments (that resignation/kiss from Jack in the time warp episode has to be one of my all time favourites razz I mean I wasn't expecting hysterics - this is a military unit after all - but some flicker of concern might have been nice. ).

As the group dynamics were what interested me in the first place, increasingly there became not much to hold my attention.

Oh, small disclaimer here - if previous experience holds up I'll probably revise my opinion of S5/S6 entirely on a second viewing. goofy I'm prone to that kind of thing. I was deeply disappointed in Buffy, S4 first time around and had a lovely time wallowing through my DVDs of that season just last week, where it all seemed much funnier and better than I remembered it being first time around. Go figure.

LabRat smile (who nonetheless won't complain at all if Sam and Jack do get closer in S8 thumbsup )

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I kind of liked that the Sam/Jack dimension was understated - it meant that you got some nice waffy/comic moments (that resignation/kiss from Jack in the time warp episode has to be one of my all time favourites ) without the high drama of 'boy gets girl, boy and girl break up, boy and girl might get back together again at some point') every five minutes.
Yeah, that's one of the things I really enjoy about the show. I wouldn't at all mind seeing them get closer, I just dread the "get together, break up, repeat" cycle that some TV writers are so fond of razz

And yeah, that time warp one is hilarious. And wouldn't it be funny to have Sam calling her boyfriend "sir"? goofy

Anyway, the other real draw of the show, to me, is the quality of the plots -- generally, they're very tightly written, and they are anything but cliched. They've got a huge mythology built up over 7 years, but they keep it all consistent. Plus it's funny! They remind me of first season L&C in the way they poke fun at themselves. Oh, and I'm very impressed at the way they consistently get the same actors back for recurring parts. This is a show that people care deeply about (they could almost be as obsessive as fans <g>), and it shows.

PJ

(Last night on Sci-Fi, we had a conspiracy theory nut tell Jack all about this system of Stargates, with wormholes, and galactic travel. Without missing a beat, Jack replies: "Sounds like a good idea for a TV show. If you're into that sort of thing.")

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Getting Sam and Jack together might be great for the fans, but it would seriously break a military taboo, which is why Jack kissed her after resigning during the time loop. If he did that beforehand while being her commanding officer, he'd be in front of a court martial so fast, both their heads would spin. I'm not certain that even if they weren't on the same team that such a union would be permitted under UCMJ since there is such as disparity in their ranks. On a show like Jag, that would be permitted since the two leads are of the same rank (Mac is a Lt. Colonel and Harm is a Commander) even though they work together because neither reports to the other.

So I doubt officially getting them together is in the cards. I think since Shaare/Amaunet (sp?) is gone, she'd make a good match for Daniel. Both are eggheads, able to talk geek for hours while Jack stands around with that baffled look on his face. I think that'd be great, especially since Daniel is a civilian. The UCMJ wouldn't forbid that.

-- Roger

Merriwether
Merriwether
(Last night on Sci-Fi, we had a conspiracy theory nut tell Jack all about this system of Stargates, with wormholes, and galactic travel. Without missing a beat, Jack replies: "Sounds like a good idea for a TV show. If you're into that sort of thing.")
Sounds like "Wormhole X-Treme!" (has to do with the 100th ep wink )

I agree with the Jack/Sam romance. Just enough of a tease, but never getting them together. I loved that time warp ep, especially at the end when Daniel asked Jack if he was tempted to do anything he normally wouldn't, and Jack just looked at Sam and grinned. And the not-getting-together isn't because of this plot line, or that character, but rather because of their jobs, so you're not frustrated (clone arc).

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So I doubt officially getting them together is in the cards.
Oh, I think the majority of fans already know that they won't get together in an actual relationship until the end of the show, at least. If ever. The problems you cite, Roger, were why Jack had to hand his resignation to Hammond two seconds before grabbing Sam for that kiss in the time warp episode, after all. wink So the problems inherent in their career structure have always been at the forefront of the plots.

Still, closer can mean a variety of things and leave a lot of options open. We hope. <G>

I think you're right, Pam, in that this is a show that likes to pride itself on attention to detail, which is always a good thing. I do know that that was why Sam was given a haircut somewhere around...erm...well at some point anyway. <G> S5 maybe? The previous season it had been very stylish, but much longer, and they knew it would never get past military rules in RL, so they cut it. So they definitely do work at trying to get as many of the little details right, barring dramatic licence. Sometimes wish they didn't as I really liked that floppy cut and think the new one is much too severe. laugh Still...needs must, I guess.

LabRat smile (who is really starting to look forward to S7 now... <g>)

The Musketeers
Blogger
Blogger
Wow, go away for one day and miss all the talk about one of my favorite shows, typical. lol. I, personaly, am an avid Sam/Daniel shipper. I was far too glad when I read Roger's response stating they'd be god. In fact, I jumped, whooped, and almost burst into an embarassing dance. I mean come on, they're so close, they even finish each others sentences. lol, sorry. I've been on a shipper high ever since Daniel asked Sam if there was ever anything between them on the season 7 premiere. It made me happy, although the writters were prob just teasing me.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
OH! OH! OH! OH! /me violently waves hand.
Hubby and I are avid Stargate fans. (Saw the movie, too and read the novels.) But we're in the states, so we don't count as European fans. I was ecstatic to see SG-1 on the cover of TV Guide! We also catch the other season reruns on Sci-Fi or UPN or Fox whenever they are on. There are some episodes we've missed in spite of all our efforts. It was originally on Showtime here and for some reason the tapes didn't always come out watchable. (We have cable, but everything comes through the satellite dish to the provider and sometimes it's botched up.)
We've pretty well caught up and are loving season 7. And there will be a season 8.
LabRat said:
I had actually thought that season six was the last one and was delighted to find that not only was there a season seven, but that Daniel was returning (we've yet to see this season here). So I'm really looking forward to seeing that and hope it proves more interesting than its predecessors. [[Smile]]
Don't worry, you'll love it. Season 5 and 6 got a little humdrum for us, too. Although there were some standout episodes even then.
Artemis - exiting humming the Stargate theme.

Rivka - You're watching season 5.
http://www.scifi.com/stargate/

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
Thanks, Artemis! (And Pam, who was able to match titles to my bizarre ep summaries in IRC. laugh )

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Don't worry, you'll love it.
I've been on a shipper high ever since Daniel asked Sam if there was ever anything between them on the season 7 premiere.
Certainly looks as though they're starting off on the right track, Artemis. goofy Will look forward to that one. wink

LabRat smile (who has suddenly had an awful thought...SKY has usually started showing a season by this point through its US run. I hope to goodness they are going to show it!)

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
If it helps, Labby, we've only seen the first eight episodes...

I like having my kids in year-round school, but I swear I'll never get used to year-round tv seasons. What sort of loser show opens in June?? grumble

Oh, btw, in case you guys haven't seen this -- there is an *awesome* Stargate reference website called Gateworld . They've got pictures and at least a short summary of every episode; most are discussed in much more detail. Plus all the spoilers, news, etc, they can get hold of.

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, have you? I'd thought you were much further in than that. I mailed SKY earlier anyway, but that could mean it will turn up any day now. smile1 Here's hoping!

Gateworld is an excellent site - it's the one I've used as a reference point for a while now.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
You want SG1 links, just ask me - I've got more SG1 links than any other category in my Favourites folder! Gateworld is great, and there are a bunch other ones too. Just email me privately if you want a reference smile

Melisma (seriously going to bed now, here under her Rock)

- Yoda
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Mel! smile Actually, I was hoping to find a good SG-1 fanfic site... I think I ran across one a year or so ago, but haven't got a clue as to the URL. Anyone have recommendations?

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Blogger
Blogger
the best stargate fiction site is heliopolis.

http://www.sg1-heliopolis.com

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks! smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, thanks, Skitz! I've been racking my brain all day trying to remember the name of that darned site. <g> It used to be the one I had bookmarked until I lost interest and I remembered it as being pretty good. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, the front page of it looks impressive, and they have an incredibly detailed search page, but there's still the problem of sorting out the good stuff from the crap. And tonight, I seemed to only find the crap <g> It's moments like these when I have the greatest appreciation for our General Editors. thumbsup

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Pam, perhaps you could give me a definition of what you consider 'good'. - S/J or other pairs, certain types of fic like action, or romance, or other kinds? I've prolly got a link for it smile or you could write me privately... I don't always check this board every day...

Melisma (diving back under her Rock to get ready for class)

- Yoda
K
Blogger
Blogger
K
I too am a stargate fan and went to a sci-fi convention a couple weeks ago where Christopher Judge as Teal'c was a last-minute guest. It was weird to watch him on the stage laughing and joking about his experiences from the show. I remember someone(a male) asking him a question "How big---excuse me, how tall are you?", all the women from the audience laughed and Christopher almost fell off the stool laughing so hard! goofy

Anyway, I read most of stargate fanfiction out on the net. Sadly, there are very few stories worth mentioning and 95 percent are just crap. I know that's hard to believe but it's true. Ironically, the stories that stand out foremost in my mind are crossovers with stargate and other shows. You'll be happy to know there is a Stargate/Smallville fic and yes, the story is completed! Here is the link:
http://pub97.ezboard.com/fkryptonsitefrm7.showMessage?topicID=1255.topic

Also there is another crossover gem(highlander/stargate), it's one of the best stories I ever read. It really captures stargate's essence of SG-1's characters and a good place for the newcomer to understand either of those shows. Here is the link and the author's name is Ecolea, titled "The Changing of the Guard". I have to warn you it is really long and promise you won't be disappointed! smile
http://www.seventh-dimension.org/

If there are any stories you would recommend, let us know! smile

Kory

Blogger
Blogger
You like crossovers, huh? Have you read any of the ones with BtVS? The Scarab is really good. I hate the pairings, but for some reason I just realy like the story. If you want recommendations I'd have to know more about what you like. Length, genre, pairing, rating, etc.

K
Blogger
Blogger
K
Yes, I remember "The Scarab" a while ago and thought it was good. I'm not into BTVS much but read them from time to time. My taste in shows pretty much varies and usually enjoy long fics over 150kb such as action or romantic genres. It's hard to say because sometimes I find myself enjoying short fics if it's related to comedy. "GGG" and "Mister December" would be perfect examples of that. Does that make sense? goofy Thanks for letting me know anyway! smile

By the way, I'm also a Farscape fan. I am reading stargate/farscape/Battlestar Galactica crossover at fanfiction.net titled "The Lost Warrior". It's not finished yet but shaping up to be a really good story! smile

Kory

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
What do I consider good? Well, stories where all the words are spelled right is a good start smile1

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kerth
Kerth
Now I'm finishing S3... I hope I can have S4 in my hands soon... hyper

Somebody said crossover... any suggestion, I think I got a pair.

Jose wave

P.S. I wonder if Patty and Selma changed McGiver for Stargate peep

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, as fanfiction.net seems to have gone AWOL for the moment (perhaps by this evil slammer worm going around?), I can't look at the Farscape/SG1/BG story. However, this coffee story sounds like fun.. do you have a link, Pam?

K
Blogger
Blogger
K
This Smallville fic is the closest as it compares to L&C fanfiction, I found it over at fanfiction.net but can be located at a couple websites. Knowing Fanfiction.net site go down sometimes, so here is the link to a different website. wink

http://www.smallvillevirtuality.com/chlark/flyinglessons.html

P.S.
ChiefPam, you were right about John/Sam having a lot to talk about and Daniel/Chiana relationship! smile

Kory

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
It took some digging, but I found the Daniel-in-search-of-coffee story: Somnambulist I quote: "SUMMARY: This is Daniel's brain. This is Daniel's brain deprived of sleep and caffiene. Any questions?"

I found that one through a page called The Library , which does reviews and tries to point out "the good stuff." Unfortunately, there aren't many stories linked from there, but the few I looked at were all fairly good.

PJ
Kory, I thought I was making a joke! Daniel & Chiana? dizzy The mind boggles <g>

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
*snicker* Thanks, Pam, that *was* good. Probably as good as the coffee. wink Now, to find out about Daniel and Chiana. dizzy

Blogger
Blogger
lol, alright Pam, here's some links for you that pretty much meet alll the requirements. Can't give you that much though, because I hate Sam/Jack! Now if you asked me to find you some good Sam/Daniel, you'd have a very long post on your hands! lol, here you go:

Semiprecious
This Cannot Be Happening This is my favorite Sam/Jack, the only one I can still read without screaming 'no! This shouldn't be happening!'.
The Proverbial Evil Twin

Sorry that the last two are mirror universe fics, but they're just written slightly better, I don't know why.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Thanks for the link, Pam. That was a really good one. thumbsup

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Glad you enjoyed it, Rivka -- and Skitz, I read Semiprecious and *loved* it. Well written, good plot, very sweet in spots and hysterically funny in others. Thanks! smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'd like to thank you all (or is that curse smile ) for giving me yet another hobby to suck away all my free time. I hadn't been reading any SG-1 fanfic before this poll came out.

laugh

-- Roger

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You took the words right out of my mouth, Roger.

James [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kory said
Also there is another crossover gem(highlander/stargate), it's one of the best stories I ever read. It really captures stargate's essence of SG-1's characters and a good place for the newcomer to understand either of those shows. Here is the link and the author's name is Ecolea, titled "The Changing of the Guard". I have to warn you it is really long and promise you won't be disappointed!
http://www.seventh-dimension.org/
Kory, did you know that this is only the first story of a 5+ series of stories?

James

K
Blogger
Blogger
K
did you know that this is only the first story of a 5+ series of stories?
James, I knew about the rest which is why I warned earlier it was a long fic. The good news is that 5+ series are self-contained stories that brings you to a satisfying conclusion in each sequel. So you won't have to worry about any dangling or unsolved questions in the endings.

I estimate all sequels altogether to be roughly 1700Kbs! goofy

Kory

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Kory:
I estimate all sequels altogether to be roughly 1700Kbs! goofy

Kory [/QB]
I have already printed them all off and have enough reading material for about a month, and I am looking forward to every spare five minutes i will have to read it.
<sigh>

James laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard