Print Thread
#231904 07/17/03 12:14 PM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I was wondering...

I can understand why a woman would watch L&C. (I'm a woman too, after all <g>)

But why do men watch L&C?

--INSTRUCTIONS--

--This poll may be a little confusing, so read this before voting:--

You can find two questions. The first one is for the men voting, and the second one is for the women voting.

MEN:
Check your option(s) in the first question and check "I'm a man" in the second one.
Choose the reasons that apply to you, personally.

WOMEN:
Check "I'm a woman" in the first question and check your option(s) in the first one.
Choose your reasons "generally speaking".

I hope you enjoy it.
See ya soon,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#231905 07/17/03 12:48 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It wasn't until after I'd voted, and was looking at the results that I realized you could pick more than one option. (Even though your directions clearly say "option(s)". I guess I wasn't paying attention.)

Oh, well, it doesn't matter. I'm a woman, and I was just guessing, anyway. I would be interested in seeing what the men say (and comparing it with what the women thought they'd say!)

Interesting question.

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#231906 07/17/03 02:17 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I know at least one man (my husband) who watches (allegedly under duress) so he can:

1) root for Tempus. laugh
2) laugh when Clark gives Lois a hard time. :rolleyes:
3) state that Lois is galactically stupid). mad
4) ooh and ah at how hot Teri was with long hair and curves. drool

#231907 07/17/03 03:15 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I watched originally because I'm a big fan of Superman. I've watched a lot of incarnations, including the old George Reeves series, the Christopher Reeve movies, the Superboy series, and the Justice League cartoons on Saturday morning. Even Smallville (I sense the cringing out there). So that's why I started watching.

Why I kept watching was because of the chemistry between the two leads. I have to admit Teri's pretty easy on the eyes, though that wasn't necessarily the main ingredient in their combined chemistry. I also chose it for being funny and for the romance. The romance portion is what kept me watching all the way through as the A-plots were rarely worth it. Those got dumber as third and fourth season rolled along.

An example on how NOT to do chemistry is the Christopher Reeve movies. The first two were pretty good because they concentrated on both the Superman mythos and the relationship between Superman and Lois Lane (Back in those days, Clark Kent was the caricature, not the reality). By the time the third movie rolled around, the producers were having problems with Margot Kidder and chopped her down to a bit player. We ended up with the monstrosities that were Superman III the Un-divine Comedy (I felt like I was in Purgatory watching it), where Richard Pryor was the lead (It's nice to have humor in Superman but it shouldn't be a comedy), and Superman IV the Quest for Plot, which concentrated so much on politics as to make me ill. The only watchable moment of "IV" was when Clark surprised Lois by grabbing her and jumping off the balcony and the conversation that ensued, but even that moment ended with another brain-sucking kiss. When the DVD's came out, I bought "I" and "II". There was no way I'd buy "III" and "IV". Ugh.

Though A-plots like Dr. Mensa would have driven me insane if that's all there was, fortunately those weren't the focus so L&C remained a wonderful show to watch all through its run. A primary example is the oft-rewritten TOGOM. By itself, TOGOM has a pretty stupid A-plot. Come on, cloning gangsters? Raise your hands if you watched TOGOM for Prof. Hamilton or Al Capone (though my sister liked the episode because it had three people from Knots Landing but she isn't a FoLC). If Clark hadn't been shot, that episode would have gone completely unnoticed by fandom as just another typical episode. It was the reaction of Lois to Clark's murder and how the incident revealed her feelings for Clark that drove the popularity of that episode (ducking at all the tomatoes being thrown by those who actually liked TOGOM for the A-plot). That the relationship between L&C was made the focus of the series is why it is loved by so many FoLCs. Thank you DJL and RS, despite what the evil Eisner tried to do to you.

[EDIT] For clarification, I chose:
* I like Teri Hatcher (how does "I like Dean Cain" outvote "I like Teri Hatcher" in the men's section of voting by a 3-2 margin?)
* I'm a Superman fan
* It's funny
* It's romantic
I did not vote in the women's section, except for the checkbox for "I'm a man."

Since I am, at this time, the only voting man, you can use my answers here to filter out the votes of women in the men's question.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#231908 07/17/03 03:25 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
12 votes. 10 women, 1 man. Uh . . . dizzy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#231909 07/17/03 05:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, i'm a fan of the show as a whole. i like superman and comics in general, but more, i like clark kent (at least the show's version of him). i like the a plots. i like the writing. i like the chemistry and the humor and the romance and the fantasy.

the thing is, though, that i wouldn't have paid nearly as much attention to the show as i have if it weren't for the folcs. they're what i like best about the show. and fic. i like fic better than i ever liked the show, and i like the show more for having read the fic.

so, that's my take on it.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#231910 07/17/03 05:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'll admit it: Sometimes I could just care less about the man in red. I'm brainwashed by the fact that I think Superman really is just a caricature. Um...I'm not sure why I watch it really. I guess I just watch it for certain parts. I like the all the sports metaphor discussions in Lucky Leon. I hated the Argh in general, but I liked watching the clone be so...un-Lois. and etc etc.

Jen

Edit: Yeah, I like fic better than the show too. I mean, if we all sat down with the show in our hands, it would look something like:

Clark (sits down with coffee): Good morning, Lois.

or something. I could not read a 500Kb story like that. It takes talent to bring an ordinary script to life and then to even venture off into unknown territory and things that the script alone can't explain.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231911 07/17/03 08:15 PM
Kerth
Kerth
To see Teri!!!! Is there any other reason? wink

Ok, now serious. It's an interesting show. and IMO it gaves a different vision of Superman smile

Apart from that, it's funny and I think it gets funnier when you watch it several times, because you get details you haven't seen.

I can't stand a second watch of Smallville... razz

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#231912 07/18/03 12:12 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
So far out of 21 voters, 17 women, 3 men, 1 abstention. As a guy, I'm feeling badly outnumbered here. smile

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#231913 07/18/03 02:50 AM
J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
As a guy, I'm feeling badly outnumbered here.
Well, I answered to try to improved the ratio, but you might as well get used to being outnumbered. I've been in the minority for *long* time. All in all, it's not so bad. wink

I'd like to say that all the time I've spent swapping bytes and bits with the wonderful women in FOLCdom have helped me gain a deeper understanding of women.

In reality, I think us men are just doomed to accept our fate and suffer. goofy

peep

(ducking back to my lurker status now that I've managed to stir up a bit of trouble...)

--
Jeff
#231914 07/18/03 03:54 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by ethnica:
I know at least one man (my husband) who watches (allegedly under duress) so he can:
Laugh at me while I'm crying over (his words:) "just a stupid tv show." eek

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#231915 07/18/03 03:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, my husband watched the show before I did -- he was a Superman/comics fan from way back... but once it was off the air, his interest waned. If it hadn't been for FOLCs and fanfic, I'm sure I'd have wandered off years ago, as well. smile But once I'd made so many good friends and sampled the fabulous array of fic... well, I was hooked all over again smile1

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231916 07/18/03 08:32 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, I must identify with ethnica <g>. My long-suffering brother <well - that's what he calls himself - *I* say he's privileged smile > watches it entirely to

1). Laugh at Dean for wearing tights.
2). Groan and make stupid noises during WAFFy scenes.
3). State that Lois must have been 'pretty darn stupid' <or words to that effect blush > not to figure it out straight away.
4). Make sarcastic comments at the villian's lines.
5). Jeer at me for liking a ***BLANK*** show like L&C.

He has various other viewpoints as well, but posting them would not only go over the PG13 limit, it would also earn me a lot of dirty looks, cold shoulders and general disruption of my reputation as a staunch upholder of the merits of this show wink

Sara peep

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#231917 07/28/03 04:05 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I just like the oriental-causcasion mixes.

And to drool over those grorgious biceps and six-packs. laugh

#231918 07/29/03 07:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I must admit that I am a hopeless romantic at heart.

As many of you know, Elisabeth and I would watch the show as our weekly 'date' when we were married and broke. huh

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#231919 07/29/03 08:16 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Though I have a hard time believing that so many women think men are shallow enough to watch the show Just for Teri.
Not "just." You're able to select as many options as you want. The poll didn't allow us to register a weighting for each choice or reasons why. Even though I selected Teri as one of my options, that selection was not the major reason, nor was her appearance the main reason I made that selection (not that she isn't very attractive). Her chemistry with Dean was amazing. It's hard to believe another actress could mesh with Dean as well as she did. I also think she is a better actor than Dean. <ducking thrown tomatoes>

The main reason for me was the romance aspect, just as it was with you. But without the ability to weight our choices, the poll gives the appearance that all choices are measured equally.

Of course, I'm a guy, so I can't speak for the women who answered. But I can explain why I made the choices as a man.

-- Roger

#231920 07/29/03 01:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Don't worry about tomatos, Roger, it's been pretty well accepted that Teri was the better actor -- though Dean did improve as he gained experience.

And from talking to various guys through the years, I was pretty sure that the romance was the number 1 reason most guys watched -- or if not of all the guys who watched the show, certainly of the guys who stuck around in fandom! smile

However, you can't tell me you didn't like that title shot of Teri coming head-first down the coal chute. goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231921 07/29/03 01:46 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
However, you can't tell me you didn't like that title shot of Teri coming head-first down the coal chute.
I certainly wouldn't object to it. laugh Seriously, though, it wasn't that revealing. I actually preferred the title shots of the two of them coming through the clouds and the one with the moon backdrop.

-- Roger

#231922 07/29/03 04:20 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
coming through the clouds and the one with the moon backdrop.
Sigh. Love the kisses better. smile

#231923 07/30/03 11:22 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
And from talking to various guys through the years, I was pretty sure that the romance was the number 1 reason most guys watched-- or if not of all the guys who watched the show, certainly of the guys who stuck around in fandom!
Hmm...
I use to think that men are as romantic as women, but they don't want to show it. But male FoLCs have two reasons to show it.

1) They are surrounded by WAFFy stories (lol)

and

2) They are surrounded by women who like WAFFy stories (lol, too)!

But, as you can see, we female FoLCs have misjudged them.

(And they say that women are difficult to understand!!)

Anyway.
See ya all and thanks for replying to my poll.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard