Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#231658 06/16/03 01:16 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
As the second non-annual Alt-Kerths were last Saturday, I was wondering if we should have another ceremony next year.

I know I had a lot of fun and enjoyed it very much (okay, I mostly found out what happened after I read the log the next day and enjoyed it then laugh ). And I'm assuming everyone else who was there enjoyed that too.

So do you want another cermony next year? And feel free to post comments, questions or whatever below.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#231659 06/16/03 01:55 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Sas!

First of all, congratulations to you and Anna on a great and very well-run ceremony. You did a terrific job! thumbsup

Second, I voted no to another ceremony next year. However, you didn't actually ask the question I would have answered yes to! :p Because of the nature of the AltKerths and the categories included, I think a ceremony every two years would be better. Sure, we get new music videos from time to time, and new websites, and challenge entries - but not as many as we get new fanfic. And so I would be concerned that, by having an annual contest, we could end up with too few eligible entries, which could devalue the awards. In addition, those among us who tend to be more prolific in terms of making videos or writing joint or challenge stories - however good they may be, and Paul and Trenna, for example, leave me gasping in admiration at their efforts! clap - may end up dominating.

(I have to confess to feeling acutely embarrassed, as it was, at my domination of the long collaboration category, and a longer period between awards could reduce this kind of over-exposure. wink )

So that's why I voted no, but it is by no means a No meaning no more Alt-Kerths!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#231660 06/16/03 02:24 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm with Wendy here, I voted no, but only because I think every other year would probably work better... for exactly the reason she says!

Helga smile

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
#231661 06/16/03 03:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I voted yes -- I mean, what the heck, I won't be doing any of the work wink but Wendy has got a good point. I guess you'll just have to see how many new eligibles pop up during the year and decide from that if you've got enough to make good competitive categories.

One of your advantages is that you can keep coming up with wacky new categories, so that could get around some of the problems outlined above. You could also change around your eligibility rules -- maybe make it "everything in the last two years, excluding anything that was on the ballot last year" or something... you've got tons of options smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231662 06/16/03 03:10 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh, great point, Wendy. Whoops, I voted yes just because I'm a L&C junkie, but yeah, I think if, come next year, it doesn't look like there's enough variety of new stuff, we should put it off for another year.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231663 06/16/03 06:11 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm definitely for the every two years option, also. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#231664 06/16/03 06:34 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I voted yes because This year's ceremony was SO much fun, but I was too quick off the button laugh

I actually agree with Wendy and others that two years would be a better solution. It took a while to accumulate some of the categories like Plot Untwists and Fairytales...and by two years I should have every song on WinMX put to LnC video laugh

#231665 06/16/03 06:45 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Count me in with the "every other year" crowd. Alt-Kerths are great fun, but there's not enough material, I think, to have it more than bi-annually.

Someone *is* going to post the log, right? smile

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
#231666 06/16/03 08:14 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
and by two years I should have every song on WinMX put to LnC video
ROTFL - we can only wish, Trenna!

Hazel, as far as I know, Saskia is working on putting the log together and it should be on the website before too long.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#231667 06/16/03 08:33 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Just quickly responding to the log question. Yes, I'm working on it. It's a lot of work and a big file. I'm nearly done though, just need to finish it off and read through again. And then it will be posted somewhere, I'll get the link out here by the time it's online. So please, have a little patience, I know I'm fast, but not so fast to have it done already.

I'll come back later (in a few days) to the poll.

Saskia

#231668 06/16/03 11:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, speaking from experience... getting a raw IRC log into easily-readable format is a very big job, and I think we ought to give Saskia a few days before we start nagging wink

If it's still not up in a week, however... wildguy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231669 06/16/03 04:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I voted yes and I agree with Pam.

Additional categories can make it work!!!

Barb.

#231670 06/17/03 05:27 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I voted no as well, for the reasons I see have already been stated above -- not enough material to warrant an annual event. However, that doesn't mean I don't think there should be another AltKerths; just not one every year.

And, of course, some categories will need to change for the next one -- there likely won't be Fairy Tales or Plot UnTwists next time around, for example. But there will no doubt be some other fun challenges that got a big responses, and/or some new outlet for fan creativity! So I'd say just wait and see what you get before making any final decisions. smile

Kathy

#231671 06/30/03 05:52 AM
Saskia Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I think it's time you deserve to know why I asked this and what my opinion on the subject is. First of all, this is just the opinion of one half of the committee. Anna and I haven't found the time yet to discuss it, but we do agree that the ceremony was a succes. And we both had a lot of fun, both in organizing and in watching the ceremony.

Above, two opinions have been expressed, both ones I had thought of. So that's why I asked, to see what other thought (as it never hurts to ask wink ).

The way I see it now, after reading all the answers, is that we'll continue being non-annual. It's a fun name after all. laugh I have a feeling there won't be enought stories/sites/music video's available in the course of a year, so it's better to wait another year.

That would also give me and Anna the time to finish some important RL stuff and rush back in a year later. After all, the organisation takes a lot of time and the job has to be done good.

However, we will keep an eye out on all that's eligible. And with all the challenges going on, we may come up with lots of new categories, even ones not based on fanfiction. So, we'll see how things go and if we think there's a slight chance of doing it next year, we'll ask what you think again. I think that sounds fair.

The only thing I can promiss for sure is that there will be another Alt-Kerth Ceremony... so stay tuned (even if it's for two years smile )

Saskia (thinking that maybe next time the ceremony comes live out of one house smile1 )

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard