Next Thread
Print Thread
#231648 06/13/03 12:19 PM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Because of the feedback I received about the story "The Scrabble", I decided to ask you to vote here:

If Lois and Clark played something like a game of pantomime, a game with questions or a scrabble, who would win?

For me, it would be Clark. I think he knows more things than Lois - even though she often is quicker.

I'm waiting for your opinions.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#231649 06/13/03 01:50 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I've seen HiM, but I really do think that, all things equal, Clark would wipe the floor with Lois and leave her out to dry. A competitive edge is great, but that doesn't top a monster vocabulary.

Good poll
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231650 06/13/03 02:49 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I figure Clark would win for Scrabble games or trivia games. Lois would win everything else based on sheer stubborness and cutthroat-ness. Clark is far more traveled and knows about a broader spectrum of info (trivia nut and scientific knowledge). I don't think Clark would need "chumpy" to win at Scrabble.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#231651 06/13/03 03:14 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I voted for Lois, but I think in all honesty, they are pretty equally matched. Clark has traveled the world and knows lots of languages and random trivia, but Lois grew up in Metropolis and knows a lot about city life. A lot of the bizarre stuff Clark knows is so trivial that it would never make it to a trivia game. Lois, however, has a better grasp of pop culture and city slang - things that are more likely to end of in a game. Also, when it comes to "traditional" inteligence - what we all think of as "book smart" - I'd say again that they are evenly matched. They are both naturally smart and inquisitive. Clark is better travelled, but Lois probably received a better education in school. (She lived in a ritzy area of Metropolis, he lived in a small town in Kansas.) Then she put herself through school, and while he was off exploring the world, she was working - making a living working with words. So while I'm sure he has a better grasp of foreign languages, I'd say their grasp of English is pretty well matched.

THAT'S why her competitive sprit gives her an edge. A competitive spirit is NOT a match for superior intelligence. However, when you have two basically equal oponents, it's an edge that can win or lose the game. We already know that Lois with do ANYTHING to win, and Clark is more likely to give in to her unless he's been pushed too far.

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#231652 06/13/03 03:22 PM
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
I agree with Annie completely smile . So just read her post and you have my opinion, too smile .

I just have one more thing to say:

I just don't think that Clark is *smarter* than Lois at all! I believe that they are very evenly matched if Lois is not smarter. I've always thought that the thing that Clark loves about Lois is how incredibly intelligent she is. In languages, sure, Clark has the edge because he speaks so many, but in English, I think they are very evenly matched. Maybe that bothers me because I take offense to any man telling me that he thinks he is smarter thna i am because I am a woman and I am quite sensitive about the subject.

Also, in scrabble, I've always thought that you could only use English words to get credit -- they have to be in the dictionary. At least that's how my mom and I have always played.

Oh, ok, one more thing, I promise wink

all things equal, Clark would wipe the floor with Lois and leave her out to dry.
Can you really see Clark "wiping the floor" with *anyone*? I just don't think that is in his nature at all. Even if he did win, I don't think he would "wipe the floor with Lois and leave her out to dry." Ouch, that just seems harsh to me. I almost see him trying to let Lois win now that he knows how competitive she is -- I've always thought that he would do anything for her and if that meant losing at a stupid board or card game to make her happy, he would do it. In fact, I even have a picture in my mind where he lets Lois win at arm wrestling (hmm... fic idea... maybe... my mind works in weird ways).

- Alicia smile
oops I didn't realize I was still logged in as Andrus rather than Alicia... whoops blush stupid Alicia wink

#231653 06/13/03 04:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just a harmless expression I use. I throw it around constantly, so it's not harsh for me. I also apply it to Tae Kwon Do, cooking, and school.

Interesting point you bring up. ...Would Clark let Lois win at something...? Or better yet, would Lois let Clark let her win? She might figure it out...

Jen goofy

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231654 06/13/03 08:09 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Normally I would always vote for Clark, but because of Lois drive to always win I need to say: I think Lois would win, even if she had to take drastic measures wink

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
#231655 06/14/03 02:13 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I think we are all thinking the same thing. Maybe Clark knows more trivia and stuff, but Lois is more competitive and WANTS to win. So she often does.

I tend to think that Clark would know more words, even in English, to win a Scrabble game, but this doesn't mean that Lois doesn't. But I think you could easily believe Clark has swallowed a dictionary! smile (just a Greek expression)

Oh and something more:
Also, in scrabble, I've always thought that you could only use English words to get credit -- they have to be in the dictionary. At least that's how my mom and I have always played.
True, but in the fic Jimmy proposed using names. Including foreign names.

OK waiting for more points of view.
See ya soon.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#231656 06/15/03 06:52 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
IMO, there's no question -- we *know* from "Honeymoon in Metropolis" that Lois has beaten Clark at all these games. And we know from "Lethal Weapon" that she can beat him in strip poker, as well. <g> (Come to think of it, we know that Perry and Jimmy can beat him at poker, too, from "Requiem for a Superhero"!)

As L&C discussed in HiM, though, I don't think it's a matter of one being smarter than the other, but just that Lois is super-competitive ("I play to win") where Clark is not ("I play to *play*"). If Clark really wanted to win at something, I have no doubt that he could do it -- not every time, but certainly often enough. But I definitely don't see him as *needing* to win.

But clearly it depends on the game -- if by "pantomime", you mean Charades, I don't see how his travels, trivia knowledge or super-powers would help him at all. Same with cards, unless he was willing to cheat (which we know he's not). Or board games.

Trivial Pursuit, as has already been said, would be a pretty close match ... Clark knows a lot of things, but so does Lois, and I think their knowledge would complement each other. They'd actually probably be most unbeatable as a team, playing against other people. smile

Kathy

#231657 06/24/03 10:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I won't even consider the kind of game.

Logically speaking, Clark should win. I mean, he speaks hundreds of languages, he know lots of cultures, he's real fast at reading and so learning and taking in things.

But, as Lois always plays to win...

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard