Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#231188 05/01/03 02:08 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I am doing my driving licence at the moment and our instructor told as to make some statistics as homework.
We shell ask at least 50 people- so vote everybody- 1) if they have a driving licence? 2) how much they paid? And 3) how many hours they neede before they received their drining licence.

Since I am a lazy person I thougt I`d post these questions here laugh

But since I don`t want to overload the boards-or your heads huh - I won`t post them at the same time but one every few hours

Okay , the question for this poll is: Do you have a driving licence?

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
#231189 05/01/03 02:59 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't have a driving licence, so that puts me out of the equation goofy

I'm wondering though - is the information you're looking for (particularly cost) supposed to be German specific? Or is your instructor going to be cool with getting information from all over the globe? wink

LabRat smile (who wouldn't want Sunshine to fail on a technicality!)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#231190 05/01/03 03:16 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I think it doesn`t matter if the information is specifically from Germany or from all around the world.
At least I hope it doesn`t laugh

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
#231191 05/01/03 03:41 AM
Columnist
Columnist
peep

I have one, although in Canada we call it a driver's license.

And because I'm diabetic, which the provincial licensing board knows, and they are making me get a certificate from my doctor every year saying that it's still safe for me to drive, but my doctor won't give it to me without me coming in for a check-up, and I can't, because I'm out of the country for a year - I will miss the deadline to keep my license from being revoked, and I will lose it, even though I only renewed it last year for five years, and paid over $40 Canadian for the priveledge, and will lose all that money if I have to re-renew it when I get back. Sigh. Life sucks for diabetics sometimes!

Melisma (crawling back under her Rock to continue to feel sorry for herself)

peep

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#231192 05/01/03 03:49 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That's not good Melisma. Here in the UK, the DVLA (do not ask me what it stands for, just know that its the organisation that deals with driver's licence's!) makes you renew your licence every 3 years (instead of it being valid til you're 70) if you're diabetic. Can't remember the details though.

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#231193 05/01/03 04:04 AM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Yup. Have a driver's license. Didn't want it when I got it -- driving scared the bejeezus out of me. But now I love it.

And I got to renew it when I hit 21, and they said that I was allowed to just send something in and get a sticker to put on the back of it. However, I had the old kind (laminated -- they have new fancy techie ones now) and it was bent and I looked really young (still do :rolleyes: ) and people joked about it being fake anyway...so I went for a new one and with a new picture.

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#231194 05/01/03 05:05 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I live in Los Angeles, so it's pretty much a requirement that I have a license and a car. And nerves of steel when driving during rush hour ... laugh

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
#231195 05/01/03 06:00 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Here in North Carolina, it used to be a rolling 4-year renewal, I think, but over the last decade they've moved over to every 5 years on your 5-count birthdays -- 20, 25, 30, 35, etc.

I got caught in the changeover <g> When I renewed my license in 1996, they gave me an age-related birthday expiration. But I was within two years of my next qualifying birthday, so they skipped that one, and gave me a license that expired in 2003. Back in 1996, that seemed like a loooooong way off <g>

(I know it was in '96, because I got pulled over for speeding which is when I realized that I'd forgotten to renew my previous license so I got ticketed for driving without a valid license, and then I had to go downtown to court, and I met Chris Mulder for lunch, and we talked about a story idea I had that eventually turned into "Crazy For You" but that wasn't really very good because right after that I got pregnant and had no energy, and my son was born in 1997. Whew smile )

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231196 05/01/03 07:32 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, I have a driver's license. I really don't remember if I paid for it, but since this is the government, I'm sure they charged me an arm and a leg. Ooh, thanks for this question. Out of curiosity I pulled it out when Pam started talking about renewals...surprise surprise, mine expires next month.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231197 05/01/03 08:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
interesting about the way the canadian gov't deals with diabetics... probably a good policy, overall. just sorry you got the short end of it.

here in the US, i just had to mark down on the form that i was diabetic (the question in NJ was something like "do you suffer from any disease/disorder which could cause you to have seizures and/or pass out at the wheel?" and i had to check the "yes" box and then explain on the back that i was diabetic). i've never had a problem with it, and i'm always careful to be sure i'm up to driving before i go.

the only real restriction that i know of is that diabetics aren't allowed to drive commercial vehicles across state lines (in other words, i'll never be a truck driver).

what my dad points out should be checked (and i fully agree) is the eyesight and reaction times of senior drivers. a periodic check of the rest of us would be good, too. but no, all we get is a little note on the original application that there's a small chance that some year or other we'll be randomly called in for a re-test. don't know anyone that's happened to, tho.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#231198 05/01/03 11:12 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I live in So Cal and have my license...but I didn't know that there were restrictions for being dibetic...interesting. I only knew of the thing on the license that said if you had to wear glasses/contacts (which my friends have).

#231199 05/01/03 12:31 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't have my licence and I definately want one now, I never thought that it was important until I wanted to get the heck out of the city and still be able to see my family when my husband didn't <g>

And Canadian gov't just wants to limit the ppl that are driving, you should see the graduated licensing rigramole for when you first get your licence. razz grumble

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
#231200 05/01/03 12:34 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I've got mine, though I had to wait until I was 18 to got it instead of the standard 16 because my high school had so many students die in car accidents when I was there and my mom freaked out.

Here in North Carolina, it used to be a rolling 4-year renewal, I think, but over the last decade they've moved over to every 5 years on your 5-count birthdays -- 20, 25, 30, 35, etc.
Yep, and since I got my NC license when I was 21, it won't expire when I'm 25 since it will only have been 4 years. So I don't have to renew it until I'm 30. I'll be 29 with my 21-year-old pic on my license. Seems strange now, but I'm sure I'll love it eventually. <G>

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#231201 05/01/03 05:54 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Actually, as far as I know, it's only the BC govt that gives diabetics such a hard time. (Licences are a provincial matter in Canada) Although, I was diagnosed after I moved to BC, so I really didn't pay that much attention to the questionaire beyond 'do you require corrective lenses' - I also wear glasses... But I could have ignored the little box - I understand lots of type 2s do - and they would have been none the wiser. I think they are more concerned about type 1s, who could easily pass out if they didn't take their insulin. For me being too high is more of a problem, unless I've just switched meds. Grrr all the same...

Melisma (going back to grousing here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard