Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#231110 04/30/03 02:09 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
This is a follow-up to the other one -- I'm curious as to why people stay quiet (obviously I have absolutely *no* skill in that area goofy ).

Don't worry, voting is anonymous, so that doesn't count as posting wink

You don't have to vote to see the results -- but I'd really like to see some votes from lurkers smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231111 04/30/03 05:56 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Uh, Pam, clearly I also have little experience as a lurker... :rolleyes: ...but I understand some people just have nothing to say. wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#231112 04/30/03 06:04 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Really? Hmm... I never even considered that <g> How very odd...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231113 04/30/03 06:40 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I'm not going to vote, since I'm clearly not a lurker. But I started as a luker two years ago, so I still remember some of it.

I think I was reluctant to post because I didn't know anyone and it's always scary to jump in, whether it's in real life or on the mbs. I had tried posting at a couple of other places, and I'd never really connected with the groups, so I was hesitant to post. And I figured there wasn't really anything I *had* to say, because someone else always said something similar to what I had to say.

Ironically it was one of your stories that brought me out of lurkerdom. You were posting Hearts Divided, which I absolutely loved, and about halfway through, there was a discussion about concubines. I was dying to post because it reminded me so much of a line from the book, Dune, that I'd read years earlier, but I was really scared to start posting after having lurked for months.

Finally I couldn't resist, and I posted. You were nice to me, and I continued posting. So now, see, you have yourself to thank for delurking me. And I remember how excited I was to find out that you only lived minutes away. Stunning coincidence, really. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#231114 04/30/03 06:46 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I am not and wasn`t ever a lurker but I think that they want to `test` the boards maybe.
You know what I mean?? See what kind of things the other people write and what their opinions are.
It could be possible, couldn`t it??

sunshine

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
#231115 04/30/03 07:06 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yeah, Sunshine, I expect that's probably a factor, too... it's actually pretty smart to get a sense of how things work before you jump in smile

Annie... cool! I love de-lurkers <g> And I try to be nice to everyone, but you were never in any danger -- hey, how could I have been mean to you when you thought I was a genius? goofy

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231116 04/30/03 07:23 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I only lurked for a few hours I think (lol) but I do know I was VERY nervous when I first posted... you all seemed like such a tight group where everyone knew everyone. There hadn't been any "Hi, I'm new" posts recently, so I didn't know how a newbie would/should act...

Thankfully, I got over that really quickly because you all are so great twins

And that was years ago...there are twice the amount of people now than there were when I joined!

-Breanna

#231117 04/30/03 08:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've lurked on boards elsewhere, and I find the most inhibiting factor when it comes to posting - or thinking about posting - is when everyone who does post seems to know everyone else very well. The atmosphere is like a club - or, to be less polite, it can be cliqueish. That kind of environment can really make a newbie feel like an outsider, especially when you get those three-word posts which mean nothing to you but clearly make all the regulars laugh hysterically. confused

I really hope we're not like that here on these boards... smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#231118 04/30/03 08:45 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
there are a couple boards that i check regularly where i don't post too often. that's mostly because i find it interesting to read some things, but i don't have anything to say about them. either that, or i know that something i'm interested in will pop up every once in a while, but i'm not interested in the majority of what goes on. then there are the archive boards, which i check daily, but which collects posts pretty slowly.

in general, if i have something to say, i'll say it. if not, i'll keep quiet. so, i don't often think of myself as a lurker.

you're probably wondering why i'm bothering to post this. well, the thing is... this is my 100th post and i thought putting it here would be fun. laugh

gotta go now. i've been on longer than i should.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#231119 04/30/03 09:30 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, this is a topic with my name on it, because until very recently in this fandom, I was a lurker. I read Zoom's boards religiously but hovered on the edges for 18 months before making my first post. Probably for many of the reasons people have mentioned above: fear of not having anything scintillating to say (not that I do now either...), and it is definitely scary to jump in, especially into an "established" community. A person's character in RL probably plays a factor as well: a "shy" person will undoubtedly take longer to summon up the nerve to post than an outgoing one.

I also tend to worry - probably overmuch - about the way my written words come across. I've been in fandoms where misunderstandings have arisen over the slightest (unintentional) misphrasing, so I tend to be a little paranoid about not wanting to offend anybody. And I already spend way too much time on the computer as it is - if I'm going to take 30 minutes to write each post (ok, a slight exaggeration), then I'll never have time for anything else... eek

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#231120 04/30/03 09:51 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I hope we can avoid clique-ishness here... or at least make it clear that new members are enthusiastically welcomed smile

But yeah, making private jokes in public -- in front of a lot of people who won't get it -- is tacky. Unless you can disguise it well enough that it doesn't look like a private joke... but even that's tricky smile

Kathy, I'm glad you got up the nerve to post thumbsup I'll admit there have been a few dust-ups in FOLCdom, but we try to keep things calm if we can dance

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231121 04/30/03 10:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
it is definitely scary to jump in, especially into an "established" community.
Amen to that. But then it's like, once you jump in with both feet, you wonder why you were quiet in the first place. I probably did at least a year's worth of lurking around the FOLCdom before I started opening my mouth.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#231122 04/30/03 06:35 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I also have recently "de-lurked" and for all the reasons said earlier in this thread. I was excited to join a "new" board, even though it's obvious that many of you already have "history" together, being a number less than 4000 and less people here so far seemed to make it less intimidating.

I have also "lurked" on other MBs that people got "flamed" for their remarks because it wasn't the popular opinion. Everyone here seems much more mature and respectful -- hey you all seem down right "friendly".

I'm still not sure if I have anything of "substance" to contribute to these boards, I guess time will tell.

I'm just glad to be here smile1

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'
#231123 04/30/03 06:53 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm still not sure if I have anything of "substance" to contribute to these boards, I guess time will tell.

I'm just glad to be here
glad you're here, too, rose. smile as for substance, you've got your own unique viewpoint. the more the merrier, imo. smile glad you de-lurked, and glad you feel welcome. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#231124 05/01/03 12:38 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
You're doing alright so far! smile And "substance" is overrated anyway wink Mostly what we do here is play, after all.

As for getting flamed for holding the "wrong" opinion, well, thankfully it hasn't been an issue yet, and we hope to keep things that way. Disagreements are healthy. Flaming is not allowed. smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231125 05/01/03 01:49 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I'm a memeber, but i guess I'm aslo a lurker. I don't post much unless something really catches my eye.

#231126 05/01/03 02:14 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I don't think one has to be a newbie to the boards to end up lurking, a little or a lot. Sometimes real life can just get to be a hassle all on its own. Even those of us who've been around for a while find ourselves in situations where it's easier to lurk than actively participate and yet we don't really want to stop "visiting" a community completely. I think it all kind of ebbs and flows in that regard.

As to the clique issue, I'm not sure that's the word I'd use because it's much too negative. Life is more what I see happening all the time in this and other forums not connected to L&C. If something, even a community such is this, is alive then it's going to grow and change with the passage of time. Period. Change of that nature can sometimes mean more unity that can seem "clique-ish" to those not quite as involved at any given time. Sometimes, thouth, that same change can mean less unity and lead to division. Thing is, both can be perfectly healthy processes as long as the core reason for the group's existence remains strong.

And I think that gets right back to why I sometimes lurk much more than I post. Personally I simply don't have time to participate that actively anymore, or at least all the time, but I also recognize the signs of a "healthy" community in FoLCdom that I still enjoy keeping track of when I do have the time.

Beverly

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#231127 05/01/03 02:56 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I lurked for a long time on the net in general. When I started de-lurking it was generally only to give feedback. Now, I'm just increasing my post count. :p

Anyway, reasons why I lurked.

Everyone seemed to know everyone else. It's like at school, if there was a big group of friends you were never sure how to join that group, it was kinda intinidating.

Also, I'm not a very outgoing person, I generally only do well in small groups (seem to be doing ok here, so far though laugh ), that's where I'm at my best.

I think I also lurked for a while cause I couldn't post just for the sake of posting, which was in part cause I didn't 'know' anyone, cause I hadn't posted. See, vicious circle there. wink

Next point. As a new person on the fic list I didn't know what the general 'mood'/tone of the group was. That didn't come out right. I think what I'm trying to say, is that I wanted to wait and see what the atmosphere so that I didn't say/do something that would disrupt everything. Still not quite what I mean, but I can't think of anything better!

And another thing, I couldn't think of anthing to say, I didn't what to post just for the sake of posting. I seem to be getting over that. laugh

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Loriel (so glad she came out of Lurkdom, and who also never voted, cause, well, she stopped lurking to christen the new boards and hasn't looked back since! dance )

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#231128 05/04/03 01:02 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I voted, even though I'm not a lurker anymore. I think I lurked for about a month on Zoom's boards, not sure anymore. Basically I didn't have time to post.

#231129 05/06/03 07:11 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I decided to go for the irony here blush :
after over 3 years of lurking around L&C fanfic it was this poll that finally persuaded me to come out!!!

I guess I was always nervous/ embarassed about posting but I have read everything on the archive (at least twice!) and just wanted to say how much you guys have all inspired and entertained me.

Although I haven't got round to writing anything of my own yet i decided to try giving proper feedback by posting replies when I have the time - because I love this stuff so much and I know that you writers appreciate it!!!

Hopeless chocoholic (who can't believe she is actually going to post this peep )

You're not alone anymore

#231130 05/06/03 07:43 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Hopeless Chocoholic! Welcome to the boards!

It's wonderful to see you de-lurked. You'll see it's not scary at all to post around here. We're a happy and friendly bunch of people enjoying ourselfs here.

And it's really you great you joined us after this poll! laugh

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#231131 05/06/03 08:14 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi, HC! Delighted to see you smile I would say, welcome to the fandom, except you've been here for years! <g> But it's great to finally meet you smile

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231132 05/06/03 09:23 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, welcome, HC! party

With a nick like that you'll have no trouble fitting in. <G>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#231133 05/06/03 10:36 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I've been a luker on these boards for years and love them! Between the wonderful writing and great discussions, there really should be no reason for me to lurk.

I guess I'm in the same boat as Chocoholic. Just a little nervous. There are so many stories that I want to comment on that I just might start now!

wow, I think I've been de-lurked dance

Circus Girl

#231134 05/06/03 10:44 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Circus Girl. Have fun with all that reading! thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#231135 05/06/03 10:46 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Thanks for the welcome guys! Glad it's not just me circus girl smile

Yours feeling braver by the minute (now if only I could remember all of the witty things I wanted to say confused )

Hopeless chocoholic

Are you challenging me?
You bet your sweet little chumpy I am.

#231136 05/06/03 01:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
welcome to the boards, hopeless chocoholic and circus girl! smile glad you're taking steps out of lurkdom. yay, more folcs to play with! smile

HC, i can definitely sypmathize with your nick. check out my sig. laugh

CG, i remember meeting you on irc a couple years back. you going to log on again anytime soon?

Paul

#231137 05/06/03 03:41 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Thank you all for the welcome.

Hatman, I remember you as well. I would love to log on again... I just hope I remember how blush

Circus Girl

#231138 05/06/03 03:50 PM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Welcome to both Hopeless Chocoholic and Circus Girl!! Wow, 3 years of lurking, 3 years ago I had a healthy back.

Oh the good ole' days of my youth.

Ja-10(who is painfully able to walk let alone bend over)

#231139 05/06/03 04:16 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I've got one question for you all... Lurk? Wazzat? laugh Don't think I've lurked ever, except for maybe a month when I first joined the fic list...

Melisma (going back to... not lurking, really, just taking a little RL break, here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#231140 05/06/03 04:52 PM
D
Dan Offline
Blogger
Blogger
D
If the topics don't interest me too much, I won't have much to say about it.

Besides, my job affects my posting greatly. When I'm busy, I usually only have time to skim through the boards. I'll surface every once in a while, then go quient.

Also, my English sxcks. For a native English speaker, this post takes what? 30 seconds? For me, it takes 5 minutes. Scary, huh? wink It's a great disadvantage to post longer (and more insightful) arguments. Most time I just go lazy and avoid the trouble posting.

#231141 05/12/03 04:20 AM
Blogger
Blogger
Just dropping by smile

Hey everyone, thought this would be a relevant thread to me. I'm not a lurker on the net in general, but I am a LNC fic lurker.

As a writer from other fandoms I know feedback is appreciated, but I like just to sift through old stories and read at my own pace etc.

Also, I feel bad if I comment on some stories and not those of others...thus I LNC fic lurk

*I'll be watching you*

KATE wink

The LnC Corner
Moulin Goldmine
Truth, Beauty, Freedom, Love #24601
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived."
#231142 05/17/03 08:48 AM
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
wave okay okay, I guess I will post my first message. I've been lurking around LnC boards for almost 2 years and never posted. It started out that I wanted to get to know the atmosphere before posting. Then I thought it would be weird to just start commenting all of the sudden. Once you get into the habit of lurking it is difficult to come out of your shell.

Plus everyone seems to know each other so well. It's like in middle school. You want to be part of the "in crowd" but you sure as heck don't want to risk making a fool of yourself by initiating the conversation!
Anna (who is finally going to post! ) party

#231143 05/17/03 09:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Anna, I do know what you mean; I've certainly seen that on other boards.

But hey, you've delurked and said hi; all you have to do to get to know us now is to chat with us! And you've taken that first step. Welcome!!! smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#231144 05/17/03 09:07 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey Anna,

Nice to see you! smile I know what you mean, I was one of those lurkers until not so long ago, as you've probably seen! laugh And I haven't looked back!

Loriel (glad that Anna decided to join the party )

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#231145 05/17/03 09:09 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hey, Anna! Nice to meet you smile I can understand it's hard to change a habit ... and yeah, a lot of us know each other. But we'd like to know you, too! wave

Glad you've decided to dive in!

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#231146 05/17/03 09:33 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yup, always nice to welcome a new voice. smile

What I'm curious to know is this: why register and then not say anything? I mean, you can read everything on the boards without having to register, so why bother?

Oh - is it so that you can read the nfic board? That would make sense. Or is it just in case you think you might get the urge to post, and won't want to wait to be registered?

Yvonne
(who suspects she pretty much answered her own question wink )

#231147 05/17/03 06:44 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh - is it so that you can read the nfic board?
Well, this was true in my case blush . I was reading Zoom's boards for a couple of months without being registered, assuming that the stories being posted to nfic would eventually be archived. And since I had no plans to post, why bother to register? But then I discovered that not all stories were archived at annesplace, so I registered right away. smile It was over a year later before I finally delurked.

KathyM

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#231148 05/17/03 07:09 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Anna! wave It's always good to have more of us around. wink

I'm glad you decided to delurk, and I look forward to getting to know you. laugh

~Anna

#231149 05/17/03 08:11 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
As with most people, it's just plain fear. I only de-lurked myself a few days ago after six months or so of lurking.

I finally figured, why not say something? huh

BTW, my name's Roger.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#231150 05/17/03 10:46 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Welcome to the boards, Anna & Roger! smile1

Tricia cool

#231151 05/17/03 10:49 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Welcome to the boards, Anna and Roger! party

Good to see you de-lurked. Have fun here!

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard