Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#230872 04/25/03 03:57 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I read in installments mostly... apart from those stories that are posted here, or on the archive complete, obviously smile

When I first had regular 24 hour a day access to the internet (Woo-hoo! for the UK university system!) I would make regular visits to the computer room on a Sunday, waiting for the archive to update... and then I'd read all the new additions in one big overdose of fanfic. Not forgetting that at that time TUFS and Season Five were being posted.

Once I've started a story, I just can't stop... this has lead to marathon sessions in front of a computer screen... I can't ration fanfic. So of course all that reading would take out most of my Mondays and sometimes Tuesdays too, and this was bad. Well, in theory.

Anyway, then Zoom's boards came along, and it was the end of all my woes! Fanfic, in handy bite-sized chunks. What more could a girl want!

My social life improved, my results picked up, I discovered that there was more to Mondays that fanfic... Lectures for instance. wink

I was a happy bunny. And I still am laugh

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
#230873 04/25/03 06:26 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hope it's worth all that paper! <g>

LabRat smile (feeling guilty for decimating several rainforests now blush )
The first 70 pages (all I could print before sundown Tuesday) sure were! Tonight I get to read the rest. <rubbing hands in anticipation>

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#230874 04/25/03 02:10 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, when you take Masques, shrink it down to 10 pt in a small typeface and reformat out all the blank lines, it's only about 400 pages.

You should see the rest of the pile I printed out. <laser printer hums in the background>

smile1

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#230875 04/26/03 12:09 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ROTFL, Rivka! That reminds me of another FoLC who cut Caped Fear in half printing it out by reducing the pitch to miniscule size...and then went out and bought a magnifying glass to read it with. goofy

Glad to hear you're enjoying the story so far! jump

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#230876 04/26/03 12:22 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Everything I print out, especially epics, I print in Times New Roman, point 8 and as small a margin as I'm allowed, (I usually reduce the margin to 0, then hit fix when Word tells me I'm outwith the print margin!)! I usually feel guilty for eating up so much of the world's rainforest's. My friend does not believe me when I tell her that I can actually read it! goofy And I can read it, honestly!

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#230877 04/26/03 04:44 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm, I voted for "I only read a couple of stories in instalments; the rest wait for the archive." cause I thought that was the closest. I generally read at the archive or complete stories on the ficlist/mbs.

I don't like reading parts because what happens if the author doesn't finish, or takes forever to finish (is Imbalance finished yet? ). I find that, when reading parts, I also tend to lose track of what happened, especially if I'm reading quite a few at the time.

OTOH, if its an author I recognise, and thus I'm 99.9999% sure they'll finish it or I give in to temptation/have no willpower or it's a sequel to something I've read, I'll read it!
This was my reply exactly. I also only read a few off the boards, I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is to really be into a story to see that dreaded "To Be Continued" AHHHHHH!!! In the beginning, I printed out the longer stories to read them but was quickly drowning in HC's. So now I copy them from the archives and paste them into word and read them at my leisure from my computer -- bookmarking where I've left off. The other advantage to saving them all on my hard drive is that I can look and see if I've already read something. When I had over 400 of them, my obsessive/compulsive side came out and I started catorgorizing each one after reading. (good AU, read episode extention etc).

Ok, I really gotta get a life man!! NOT!! smile1

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'
#230878 04/26/03 07:42 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
When I had over 400 of them, my obsessive/compulsive side came out and I started catorgorizing each one after reading. (good AU, read episode extention etc).

Ok, I really gotta get a life man!! NOT!!
ROTFL, you need to talk to Kaethel. <g> She's the one everyone goes to when they need stats on what fanfic has been published in a year. laugh

What's HC btw? Haven't heard that one, I don't think.

[Edit] - 0h, wait, bell just rang. HC = hard copies?

LabRat (who remembers the pleasure she had cataloguing the fanfic she downloaded - indexes that have sadly not been updated in so long it's painful to think about...sigh...maybe one day I'll catch up...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#230879 04/26/03 01:10 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ok, you were able to decifer HC -- it is hard copies. So, now I have a newbie duh question for you.... what's ROTFL???

"Well, let's see, so far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, treated as your girlfriend, and I insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this. Mmm, mmm." -- Lois to Clark, 'Green, Green Glow of Home'
#230880 04/26/03 01:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL = laughing out loud
ROTFLOL = rolling on the floor, laughing out loud
ROTFL = rolling on the floor laughing
ROTFLMAO = rolling on the floor, laughing <something or other> laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#230881 04/26/03 01:55 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I picked this choice:
I wish I had the willpower to wait for the completed story... but somehow I always find myself dipping into the instalments anyway, until I'm hooked!
Only 17% of us, but, hey, who cares?
The caveat to that statement is that if I *don't* get hooked, I wait for the Archive. hyper

I've *never* printed a story. I read it online, or saved to my hard drive or from my handheld.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#230882 04/26/03 02:05 PM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Okay, add another other to the pile.

Explanation:

I *used* to read almost every single story as it was being posted. Now, that didn't mean I commented on them all (bad Bethy! bad Bethy!), but I was usually reading most if not all.

I think the change happened when I went to France. I had to use an internet cafe and be very stingy with my minutes so that I could communicate with family and stuff and not go broke. So, I waited for the archive version a lot more often. And then this past school year I went on a stupid streak and took on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many things to do. (Will I ever learn? Hm...let me think about that....Nope. laugh ) So, as a result, my brain refused to keep track of as many stories as it used to.

However, summer is here!! I have stuff to do, but less school work, so I should have a few compartments in my brain freeing themselves up for fanfic! And (yes, I know, I've said this before, but I mean it this time), I'm going to work on vastly improving my commenting skills...or at least frequency.

Bethy (who is sure that's more than y'all wanted to know...)

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#230883 04/26/03 09:20 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by LabRat:
Hope it's worth all that paper! <g>
It would have been -- had I done it right! grrr

I knew I had sections that were printed forward, sections backwards, and that 20 pages had flown all over the room and were out of order. I figured it would be like a jigsaw. wink

But then, after 10 frustrated minutes, I realized the real problem. Pages 290-400 printed 2x. Pages 70-140, not printed at all. I was up to page 70!

AAAAAHHHHHH!

Forget it, I'm putting it on my Palm.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#230884 04/26/03 09:26 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm in the "depends" category. laugh I used to read a lot in instalments but my leisure time was considerably reduced this year, so I've had to cut down on fanfic reading a lot. goofy - and then eventually beg for a tiny excerpt, half a dozen pages, no more jump , on irc) but these days I tend to read longer stories from the archive when I get some free time.

Kaethel smile (and LOL Rat, re.stats! Haven't updated my fanfic index in three weeks, yikes! eek )

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#230885 04/27/03 01:42 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ouch, Rivka. Had a few nights like those myself. I still have hard copies of stories in file folder that almost require Bletchley Park to decipher which part comes next in the reading sequence. goofy

<gives LabRat a meaningful look
LOL, Artemis. I may have a little something coming the way of these mbs very shortly. wink

LabRat smile (who figures that if she tells enough people that the Muse will be intimidated into having to produce the goods. evil )

The Musketeers
#230886 04/27/03 01:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
LabRat (who figures that if she tells enough people that the Muse will be intimidated into having to produce the goods. )
Ooooooh! smile1 drool sloppy

So it means we're going to get *that* story (not saying more [eg]) and also SDB and Legacy and Ripples and stuff? Hmmmm? WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kaethel smile (can you tell I'm happy? [g])

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#230887 04/27/03 07:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
oooo.. smile

come on, labby... you can write.

come on...

if you write, i'll give you some... [Linked Image]

Paul, figuring that cheese is probably more effective than the alternative ( [Linked Image] ) laugh

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#230888 04/27/03 09:08 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/me gives Kaethel a very long and steady stare.

Let's not get carried away, kid, shall we?

dizzy

LabRat smile (sneaking off with that cheese...)

The Musketeers
#230889 04/27/03 09:00 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
LabRat (who figures that if she tells enough people that the Muse will be intimidated into having to produce the goods.)
I can be intimdating! wildguy See! This is me chasing LabRat's Muse so I can catch her and tie her down somewhere near LabRat's computer. laugh

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.

#230890 04/28/03 03:25 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Loriel. Strangely enough this wasn't tagged as a new post; almost missed it. smile1

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#230891 04/28/03 04:47 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
might have at least a part one to post very shortly
Yay! It looks like I'm going to have to employ goofy

Loriel (off to find her nearest friendly Dr! :p )

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard