Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#230852 04/24/03 05:21 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay, let's rechristen this section of the boards. wink

Do you like to read stories in instalments, or do you prefer to wait for them to be finished first? Or maybe you even wait for them to be uploaded to the Archive before you'll read them? What's your preference? Answer the poll, and post to explain your answer too, please!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#230853 04/24/03 05:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You forgot the option that says "that depends" <g> Some stories, some authors, I know I want to read everything as soon as possible. With some authors, I tend to wait til I think they're getting close to the second half, and then jump in there wink And there are some authors/stories where I know the story is going to be extra-intense. I wait til those are finished (and usually some time afterwards, too laugh ) before I'll work up my courage to tackle it.

PJ
who is not organized enough to have only one reading strategy wink

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#230854 04/24/03 05:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i voted for other. i like reading in installments, but not because of the suspense or lack of willpower. it's because i like getting the stories in managable chunks and, to a lesser degree, because i like seeing them in progress. somehow, it's just easier to open a few pages at a time than it is to open a whole huge file. don't know why. not like i have a problem reading robert jordan's 800-1000 page books (about 150 pages into book 10 of "the wheel of time," and i'm still not sure if he's even halfway through. every time i think things are starting to draw to a close, he throws in something new). something different about reading on screen vs having a phyical bookmark, i guess. <shrug>

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#230855 04/24/03 05:46 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I have to go for Other, too. Short stories, I'll read as they post. Stories where they have #/?, I wait until it gets close to an end, usually when they have a real final number posted. I learned the hard way *coughImbalancecough* that you can get frustrated by reading the story when it's not even close to done and you don't know how long it's going to be, or when it's going to be finished. There's a few authors that are exceptions to the rule, but not all that many anymore. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#230856 04/24/03 06:59 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I also chose other. I almost chose the 'no way' option, but the reason I don't read on the mbs isn't because I'm afraid the author won't finish, it's because I can't stand the suspence, and I lose track of what was going on in the story.

I'd much rather read on the archive, even if it takes a couple minutes for the story to load. coughLabbyandMasquescough laugh

~Anna

#230857 04/24/03 12:18 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Depends. If it's a sequel that I'm dying to read, I'll hit the installments. Everything else can wait for the Archive...I'll happily use up plenty of time that I don't have to sit down with a long fic.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#230858 04/24/03 01:56 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ROTFL, Anna. And I see my bus theory made it in there. <g>

I would have gone for that one - but with the arrival of these mbs I'm trying to mend my terrible ways and keep up with fanfic as it's posted.

However, couldn't quite bring myself - yet - to put myself in the first option bracket either. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#230859 04/24/03 02:55 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It depends. <g> If it's by my favorite authors, heck yes, I read it on the message boards. Then again, I haven't had much time for reading lately, or luxuries like sleep, so my fic reading is almost down to nil. <g>

I've also been reading more "The Pretender" fic when I have time lately because of the sheer unpredictableness of it. wink There's just something appealing about a character who can literally do anything and changes names and occupations the way most of us change clothes. 'sides, there's unexplored territory there, and when you've spent months reading everything from the archive that you can get your hands on, something new is always a great thing.

For the most part, I wait for the archive. <g> a few of my favorite authors I don't have to wait for because I'm lucky enough to be their beta reader...

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#230860 04/24/03 07:19 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm, I voted for "I only read a couple of stories in instalments; the rest wait for the archive." cause I thought that was the closest. I generally read at the archive or complete stories on the ficlist/mbs.

I don't like reading parts because what happens if the author doesn't finish, or takes forever to finish (is Imbalance finished yet? wink ). I find that, when reading parts, I also tend to lose track of what happened, especially if I'm reading quite a few at the time.

OTOH, if its an author I recognise, and thus I'm 99.9999% sure they'll finish it or I give in to temptation/have no willpower or it's a sequel to something I've read, I'll read it! I did that with Laura's Little Girl Lost, gave in to temptation that is - it looked too good to miss!)

Loriel (still with no sig...)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#230861 04/25/03 01:59 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, I picked other. But I could've picked either 'I love reading in instalments! The suspense is great, and I can't wait to check back for the next part.' or 'I only read a couple of stories in instalments; the rest wait for the archive.'

I had to go with other just because, while I love reading them installments, time and school just don't permit me to read much in installments. I make exceptions for stories by favorite authors and such - but then I just end up feeling terrible when I can't get around to posting feedback on a regular schedule. goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
#230862 04/25/03 04:21 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Actually, I hate the suspense laugh BUT, parcelled out L&C Fiction is better than no fiction and when I come to the message boards and find something by a favorite author, I can't stay away wink

I do sometimes get my stories mixed up, especially when they are on the once a week or longer posting schedule. I just keep logging on and wishing blush

BTW, I stopped reading Imbalance at about part 30, and am still waiting for the whole story which I would love to read. Of course, even unfinished, it qualifies as an epic. Wish it was posted as Part One so I didn't have to go find all the installments wink

#230863 04/24/03 12:06 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, I've voted and as I've mentioned before, I prefer to read fanfic in instalments.

The main reason is because It's just easier timewise for me to read a part of two everyday then it is for me to find the time to sit and read a long story.

I used to be able to use high speed printers from my previous job to print off completed fics. Then I could carry around a hard copy to read at my leisure just like I would a paperback. That was an ideal situation, but since I no longer have that option, and I sure as heck ain't going to spend my ink cartridges to print off stuff like Masques.

Since I read while online, it's just easier to read in smaller bites.

Tank the Retired (who should also mention that he does like a good cliff hanger now and then wink )

#230864 04/24/03 12:21 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Like Tank, I also read in installments. I have a really, really short attention span (I think I might have ADD wink - seriously my favorite professor and I have this conversation all the time - he seems to have the same problem) so I lose concentration on longer stories if I do not read them in short installments - hmm, that might be why I don't read books for pleasure or even my textbooks for that matter wink .

- Alicia

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#230865 04/24/03 12:36 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have to go for Other, too. Short stories, I'll read as they post. Stories where they have #/?, I wait until it gets close to an end, usually when they have a real final number posted.
That's how I am too...normally. There are a few stories that I've gotten hooked on that we don't know how long they will go (Long Strange Trip smile ). But normally I will try to wait until it's done...but when it is I will read it right away before it has a chance to go to the archives.

-Breanna

#230866 04/24/03 01:08 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey...

I like to read fanfic in instalments too...

It's because it's a small chunk, and when i read a long stories i tend to skip some parts... atleast this way i read everything...

Meni

Is it a bird?" "Is it a plane?" "No, it's just a guy in tights and a cape!"
#230867 04/24/03 10:04 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I used to be able to use high speed printers from my previous job to print off completed fics. Then I could carry around a hard copy to read at my leisure just like I would a paperback. That was an ideal situation, but since I no longer have that option, and I sure as heck ain't going to spend my ink cartridges to print off stuff like Masques.
LOL, Tank. Don't blame you.

I really think I'd read more finished work from the Archive if I could go back to those heady days when I first found the fandom and was able to print off reams of stories and then settle down with a huge pile of paper and work my way blissfully through them. Ah...heaven. I worked my way through the entire Archive that way. Back then I think it was at 800 stories or so.

But, as you say, the cost is just too prohibitive these days.

Although I have got myself into the habit of reading off the computer screen instead, it's just not the same. I've tried buying a laptop so that I can at least read curled up on the sofa or out in the garden on sunny days - my natural reading locations - but that's not the same either.

Still...best that can be done, so will just have to put up with it, I guess! goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#230868 04/24/03 10:17 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Funny you should mention Masques. It prints as we speak... and prints... and prints... laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#230869 04/24/03 11:25 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ROTFL, Rivka.

Hope it's worth all that paper! <g>

LabRat smile (feeling guilty for decimating several rainforests now blush )

The Musketeers
#230870 04/25/03 12:16 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm one of those that just reads in installments. FOr me that's easier and it takes up a whole lot less of my time. At the moment I'm reaing everything that's being posted, but I sometimes simply don't have the time to give fdk.

And I must admit, I haven't read on the archive for weeks (or are it months now?), due to a lack of time.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#230871 04/25/03 12:53 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I prefer reading it in parts - but posted regularly.
The time between each segment shouldn`t be longer than a week.

I don`t like it that much if all parts of a story are posted simultanously, although it still beats a cliffhanger laugh
Anyway posting in parts makes you think more about each segment and this way you can tell the author your thoughts and he can decide if he can use your advise for his story or something like that.

Hope this answer satified you wink

sunshine wave

A friend is somebody that knows everything about you and still likes you
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard