Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yea! This is the first time I've been able to get on the boards for like a 1/2 hour. Internet Explorer couldn't load it. Google Chrome couldn't load it. I couldn't even use on the links from my response e-mails. dizzy Yet, I was able to visit all the other pages in my favorites bar just fine. <<Does anyone else hear a little imp giggling? Is it Micheal's fault for suggesting that I wrote more Mxy stories? Or mine for putting the possiblity off the stove and into long-term storage?>>

Anyway, the boards have been crazy slow all week, but I figured it was just me... my computer (although I'm wired, not WiFi), so I don't know. Maybe it's just me. laugh

I e-mailed LabRat regarding my problem and 15 minutes later <<after catching up with Love and Capes>> I was able to load the Boards, just fine and the speed is beautiful. sloppy So, either she is a technical genius (other than being just a normal run-of-the-mill genius), my guardian angel (because this is what happened the last time I had trouble loading the site), or like a doctor, once you tell her about it, the problem goes away until later, so she can't discover what's wrong? Either that, or the imp I mentioned above.

Has anyone else been having trouble with the boards loading slowly, and sometimes not at all?

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Columnist
Columnist
I replied to your email as soon as I woke up this morning, but I'll say it here as well: Internet Explorer is yuck face. Get Firefox or Opera or something. I've only use chrome a couple of times, so I don't know about it, but I've never had a problem using Firefox with the boards.

.talk nerdy to me.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL. Nope, sorry, I was blissfully asleep when your email came in. laugh Glad it's back up for you.

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I use Firefox and haven't had any problems with speed.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Columnist
Columnist
So the consensus is that Virginia needs Firefox & everyone likes to sleep when she needs help. It's like the world is working against you. :p

.talk nerdy to me.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, the same here. Firefox & boards working fine.

Personally I can't stand IE. Hate it with all my power. devil Go fox! [Linked Image]

Andreia

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by MrsLuthor:
So the consensus is that Virginia needs Firefox & everyone likes to sleep when she needs help. It's like the world is working against you. :p
razz I've had nothing but problems since they MADE me update from the previous version. I'm glad to hear there's something else out there (not too thrilled with Google Chrome either). I've always been with IE and I'm old, so change is hard. laugh

So, this would be a bad time to mention that I've never heard of Firefox, right? peep

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by VirginiaR:

So, this would be a bad time to mention that I've never heard of Firefox, right? peep
jawdrop thud

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The boards did the same thing to me all last week. I use whatever the latest edition of IE is.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
The boards did the same thing to me all last week. I use whatever the latest edition of IE is.
Well, I'm glad it isn't just me. Phew. Sounds like we have suspect. IE-V9 (hate it, BTW) Hmmm, DC, looks like we might have to make a switch if this continues.

I take it we can find a copy of the Firefox browser online? I can always ask Mrs. Luthor if she still isn't passed out.

EDIT: I just downloaded Firefox to try it out. Hey, look at that. It's added a spellcheck (which it tells me is two words) to my posting. Interesting...

VirginiaR.
---
Features Writer
Features Writer
To those still using IE 9, the information on this page might help on increasing the loading speed:

Microsoft support knowledge base

malu

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
EDIT: I just downloaded Firefox to try it out. Hey, look at that. It's added a spellcheck (which it tells me is two words) to my posting. Interesting...
I'm sure you'll love it! Try out the add-ons, extensions and themes. There are extensions that I don't live without. Spell check, dictionaries, session manager, converter, auto copy... There's even an extension for those rare pages that don't work on Firefox (IE Tab). From appearance to resources you can personalize it to your liking. thumbsup

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Columnist
Columnist
Welcome to the dark side! wink

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, Firefox experts, every time I try to post something, or clicking on a link to read a post which has been emailed to me, Firefox blocks me from being redirected until I press a button to "allow". How do I get it stop doing this, because frankly, it's VERY splat ... shall we say "annoying"? wink

VirginiaR.
---
Columnist
Columnist
I never had that problem, but I found this solution:

"Go to your Firefox Advanced settings for accessibility, browsing, system defaults, network, updates, and encryption. In the General Tab under Accessibility, un-check the option, "Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page"."

Ref: http://kb.mozillazine.org/accessibility.blockautorefresh

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I never had that problem, but I found this solution:

"Go to your Firefox Advanced settings for accessibility, browsing, system defaults, network, updates, and encryption. In the General Tab under Accessibility, un-check the option, "Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page"."

blush Oh, is that what that meant? laugh Let's see if that fixed things.

EDIT: All fixed. <<I'm soooooooooooo embarrassed.... crawls into dark hole where nobody can find me, point and laugh>>

VirginiaR.
---
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] I never had that problem, but I found this solution:

blush Oh, is that what that meant? laugh Let's see if that fixed things.

EDIT: All fixed. <<I'm soooooooooooo embarrassed.... crawls into dark hole where nobody can find me, point and laugh>> [/b]
It's okay, my precious. Have a cookie. *pats your head* :p

.talk nerdy to me.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's okay, my precious. Have a cookie. *pats your head* :p
drool Mmmmmmmmm. Thanks. Coooooooookie!

VirginiaR.
---
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I had problems with the page loading too,it has been quite slow of late. And I use Firefox. I thought it was just my computer or something

Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am.
Kerth
Kerth
II get the slowness problem sometimes too, Virginia! However, unlike what most of you have said, mine extends to several websites and doesn't matter what browser I use. blush (I live in the remote confines of nowhere and our internet provider can be superslow even though we pay for higher speed...)

But to jump in on the IE/Firefox debate... I used to hate Firefox, don't know why really, but was always a staunch IE user. But the new IE9 sucks so hard that it's even converted me (although frankly I have four different web browsers on my desktop and use each one for different things, usually. Makes it look like I'm staying focused on homework in one window when really there's fifty others on fanfiction, fb or youtube. :p )

Fun thing for you! Speedtest.net will tell you exactly how well your internet is actually working versus what you should be getting. Sometimes it's an issue of internet connectivity, a lot of times though it's simply an issue of RAM-- clear some disk space every so often. wink

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And now, for the next chapter of "What's Going On with the Message Boards?". The Message Boards wouldn't load for me this afternoon, using either Firefox or IE9. I tried what Mrs. Luthor had suggested, and deleted cookies. (I couldn't believe how many of them I have for websites I had only visited once to do research for a story or hadn't visited in at least 6 months! Usually when I delete cookies I use that button that states "delete history and cookies". Clearly, this button HADN'T been doing exactly that. This time though, I deleted the cookies individually.)

This seemed to do the trick, dance , so I thought, as the Folder Page or http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php page loaded quickly and easily. laugh

That's when I realized I couldn't access any page that didn't have any new threads added within the last few hours. I was party

I'm glad and, yet at the same time saddened, that others of you have been experiencing some the same problems as me (so, at least, the Message Boards haven't taken a personal dislike to that person who posts something at the drop of a hat. blush namely ME). Misery loves company, but I hate that any of us have been made miserable by this place, which usually make us (well, it does me, at any rate) so happy.

Anyway, all is well at the moment, and may it continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

VirginiaR.
---
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I hope it's still here too. I was having this problem yesterday but at least today I haven't been having that issue, (thank god.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I wasn't able to get online from 5:30am until just now (8:36am in midwest).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I had trouble this morning too. It wouldn't load at all earlier today.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I had trouble coming onto the Boards again this evening. I cleared my history or cookies, or something, but it still wouldn't let me on. So, I logged out of FireFox, went and had dinner and watched some TV, and then came back.

Able to get on boards ( dance ), but for some reason the message notifications didn't show up for posts to my threads until 1-2 *hours!* after they posted here. huh I even checked my spam folder (no LnC stuff). Then I tested my Gmail to see if it was Gmail problem by e-mailing myself, but my e-mail came right through.

So, what are your thoughts? Mxy? Tempus? Jaxon? Ides of Metropolis?

VirginiaR.
---
Features Writer
Features Writer
I was thinking... it could be a problem with the server.

Maybe it's getting more traffic (for some other site), and it's affecting our side as well.

malu

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I emailed Annette when they went down the first time and she thinks it was just a server glitch. They happen. Normally our server is pretty stable but if it continues to happen, obviously we'll need to have a rethink. Let's hope they just had a bad weekend. wink

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
For another data point, I've had no trouble with speed or loading or reading. I use Firefox. My sympathies to you all, but I thought it was important data to note it is not bad for everyone. confused (Now just wait and I'll have troubles. It is always so, Grasshopper!)
cool
Artemis

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by malu:
I was thinking... it could be a problem with the server.

Maybe it's getting more traffic (for some other site), and it's affecting our side as well.

malu
Malu, I wondered about that, but that's above my knowledge base. I figure if we leaving the data here on this thread, someone will figure out what's going on eventually.

Artemis, I started using FireFox after Mrs. Luthor suggested it. I like the extra spellcheck while I'm on the boards. laugh Although, I'm not quite used to the way the bookmarks are set up here. I set it up to erase all cookies when I exit out of Firefox completely and we'll see if that helps. It's just possible that the boards like some members better. wink Either that or yes, you just jinxed yourself.

MXY: hyper Time to add Artemis to my list! clap

VirginiaR.
---
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL! razz Yeah, I thought of that when I posted. So far, so good. My only problem, so far, has been when my earthlink goes down. And that's clear that's the cause because the little lights stop blinking!.
regards
Artemis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard