Print Thread
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
GRRRRRR!

Several times this week since I got a new laptop and a new wireless mouse [and all times with a now 4yo climbing all over me], I've accidentally double clicked the top left corner of Chrome.

And poof.

It disappears like Lois in a time phoof.

No 'are you really sure you want to close these 87 tabs?' No 'would you like to save these 87 tabs for next time?'

Nothing.

And then no 'reopen all windows from last session'.

Googling shows that this is a function of WINDOWS not Chrome [though somehow I've NEVER managed to do it before and even now only in Chrome]. And I can't seem to find a way to disable it.

Anyone know?

[I'm headed out of town and may not be online much but appreciate any help you can give even if I don't get back to you right away.]

TIA

Carol

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Uuuuu yeah... that's a standard feature since... don't know when. Back in the day, when Windows had icons in the top left corner and LNC aired on weekly on Tuesdays, it was 'double click on the program symbol to close the application'.

What's more interesting, is that Chrome is not asking you about saving, etc. Does it ask when you do ALT+F4 or any of the other native close-program methods in Windows? (Don't have one at home, so can't try it out right now)

What I found out while googling: Back in Chrome 2009 it blocked this feature and people complained about lack of standards support. And as a funny aside, now Firefox uses the top left corner for it's Firefox button and also blocks the double-click-to-close huh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Unfortunately, just like any other Internet browser (Firefox, IE, Safari), Chrome doesn't ask if you want to save or confirm closing the windows, since there isn't really any content to save, in most cases.

What you can do is probably decrease the time between clicks to act as a double-click, and not two single clicks, to reduce the amount of accidental double clicks. That can be done normally on Windows Control Center.

malu

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
IE (8 and 9, at least, likely 7, too) does ask you when closing the window would close multiple tabs.

And yeah, looks like they removed the confirmation with FF3. Didn't really notice it thanks to a good session-keeper.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Tabs, yes, IF you work with tabs, but not the windows themselves.

If you have only one tab open, does it ask you if you want to close it?

malu

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard