Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I just received a strange private message. I realize that I shouldn't have opened it, because it was from someone I haven't heard about on these boards, someone named Hank. As I opened it it was very strange, and it talked about impersonators. I worry that it might have been an attack on my computer. Any suggestions about anything I might do about it?

Ann

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I'm not sure the precise mechanism used for handling PMs, so I don't know whether or not malware could be downloaded by opening one; but if you wish to be on the safe side, there are some things you could do.

A couple of precautions I would take would be to run a very thorough scan of your computer with both your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs as soon as possible. (Before you do, though, make sure that your anti-virus program has the latest virus definitions.)

Depending on how computer-savvy you are, you might want to check out the processes listed in the Task Manager to see if there is anything suspicious running.

You might also do a search of your entire hard drive for any files that have changed today, focusing in on any that have changed from the moment you opened the PM on.

Good luck.

Joy,
Lynn

T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, I'm not computer-savvy at all, and my anti-virus program is one which keeps running continually. I can't do anything at all about it, as far as I know. (It is Avast.)

Thanks for the suggestions, though, Lynn!

Ann

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I don't use Avast; but many anti-virus programs run continually in the background, but they also let you conduct a scan upon request. They have options to make that scan much more thorough than what is done when it is normally running. You, or whoever set up your computer, probably specified a light scan be done at regular intervals; perhaps daily or weekly. But any time you suspect that there might be malware on your computer, it is good to have it conduct a scan of your entire computer. Such a scan will be time consuming and will slow down your computer while it occurs, but it might just catch something that it otherwise wouldn't have.

- Lynn

Features Writer
Features Writer
Was it from hank (member #1905) from these boards? I did a search on the directory (link at the top right of the page) and that was the only "hank" that came out as a result. This person is listed from Toronto and has 0 posts. If you think it might be intrusive/dangerous/offensive/etc. you can always report to one of the board moderators for help...

I don't think it's possible to infect a computer if there was only text (can't say the same if there were images/links/etc.).

To "Hank", the person who PM'ed TOC: you could at least introduce yourself before sending an unsolicited private message... smile

malu

T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thank you, Malu and Lynn!

Yes, I think Hank from Toronto was probably the one. I do remember that he had 0 posts. I guess that would mean that he was a member, at least. And no, the letter wasn't offensive, just totally confusing and completely out of the blue. The PM was certainly unsolicited and not related to LnC or to anything I have posted here, as far as I could see. But fortunately there were no pictures or links, and anyway I wouldn't have opened the links if there had been any. But there were none. So I guess I'm safe. Thanks again, Malu!

But maybe I should report the PM anyway, because it did scare me. Or maybe not. Again, thank you for your support, Lynn and Malu!

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm sorry you were frightened by this unsolicited PM, Ann. Just to reassure you on both counts - I've had experience of Hank myself and yes he is a member of the boards and entirely harmless.

As far as I know it's not possible for non-members of the mbs to send PMs to members - the ability to send PMs and post can only be accessed once a registration has been approved by the admins - so you can always be assured that if you get one it will be from a genuine member of the boards. But if you do get anything that upsets you or worries you, just email the admins. The point of the PM system is to add to the fun.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard