Next Thread
Print Thread
#230393 07/31/09 03:01 AM
C
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
C
I'm looking into putting all my books in a database so I can track what I have my problem is that I have so many I can never remember what I have and what I don't have and so more often than not I have double or more copies of the same book.

However, whenever I use Microsoft Access 2003 (I think) Professional edition, I cannot close the program because the moment I do this it won't let me open the file as it will tell me I'm not authorised to open it even though I created the database. This doesn't occur if I use the other programs in the office package.

Any ideas why this occurs and how can I override this?

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#230394 07/31/09 04:03 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Are you logged in as an administrator? That's the most common reason for not having permission to install/save something: that you're not logged in as an administrator, or as the same user who created the file.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#230395 07/31/09 05:47 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I had that happen with some word docs not too long ago - even though I was the one who created them [same user and an admin on the computer etc]. I will try to remember what I did to get around it permanently - I think I had something checked somewhere in Word... properties or something that I shouldn't have - but there was a workaround too that I did for a couple of specific files before I figured it out. Especially if this is the only thing you use the program for, the work around may be enough...

Right click on the file
Security Tab
Then messed around with the permissions etc there until my user had been given permission to use the file

I've never used Access but the Excel properties thing looked about the same so it may for Access too.

I'm off to clean but will try to remember what I did to set it that way in the first place :p .

Carol

#230396 07/31/09 06:34 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I tried the Access database thing for my books once. Then I accidentally deleted the data when I was trying to make a blank copy of the database for a friend. So now I use LibraryThing.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#230397 07/31/09 05:55 PM
C
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
C
That's the funny thing is I am the administrator at least I registered in my name when I installed it I will try what you suggested.

Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: I figured it out! The macro settings were set to high I've changed it and now I can open my original files!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard