Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230289 10/26/08 03:11 PM
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Okay, here's a problem I've been having since I reincarnated Oscar (my computer). If I'm google searching something, or instance, I'll get a blank pop-up window. This happens when I've just pressed the search button, but also just randomly reoccurs while the page of the search is still open. The URL as an IP address in it, but also google and the words of my search, surrounded by a bunch of gibberish I can't understand.

Does anyone know what's going on?

#230290 10/26/08 04:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've been using Firefox for about a year and a half, but for the last couple of months I've been having major computer problems with 2 major crashes (and I think a 3rd is on the way). I have a feelings that this is all related to Firefox. It often crashes on it's own and there are very few sites that I can access with Firefox now because Firefox crashes (this includes Yahoo and both this board and Zoom's board).

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#230291 10/27/08 01:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I got Firefox 3 installed, my browser started shutting down when I opened some pages. But since I updated it to the latest version (3.0.3) it has been working Ok.

Beth, have you looked for virus/spyware/adware? Your problem (pop-up windows, blank pages) seems more like something related to those pesky malwares.

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#230292 10/27/08 02:56 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I had an issue with Firefox about a month ago where it would just suddenly shut down while I was browsing. I updated to the latest version and, so far, haven't had a repeat of that or any other problems.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#230293 10/29/08 05:16 PM
Beth S. Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I think it was a virus that was causing the problem. I don't know how my computer got so infected just a couple days after I wiped it (and with an anitvirus program), but it worked fine once I took care of that. (Well, Firefox did, not the computer, but that's another story :rolleyes: )

I have to confess that the main reason why I stay with Firefox is because it has a built in spell checker. Yes, I am that terrible of a speller. It's saved me from going to dictionary.com hundreds of times. blush

Thanks for the help!

#230294 10/30/08 06:24 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh the Firefox spellchecker is a little technological marvel. laugh

I'd be lost without it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#230295 10/30/08 08:58 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I slightly prefer Opera for day to day work, but I can't deny that firefox is almost as good, and better for a few sites. Some of the add-ons are very good too - fire.ftp is the easiest to use FTP program I've ever seen, for example.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard