Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230194 08/13/08 02:22 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
My laptop clock keeps losing two hours of time. I have reload Vista a few weeks ago because of this issue and also because IE kepted frezzing the laptop up.

The funny thing through is the first time the clock started losing time was the same day my Dad's atmoic clock did as well. I'm living across from a airport could that somehow doing something to my laptop?

I only lost time after I shut it off and don't turn it back on for over seven hours.

Has anyone else been having trouble with this issue. I don't feel like reloading Vista once again over this.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
Merriwether
Merriwether
This sounds like the little battery on your motherboard is dying. Some boards have a small battery, sort of like the one inside a watch, that helps keep information like time. On desktops, it's not that hard to replace, but I'm not sure about laptops.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Top Banana
Top Banana
Actually, my Vista-loving friend has the same problem... her desktop clock is never correct. It is a desktop, not a laptop, though. I had thought it was another Vista glitch, not hardware-related.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
My laptop isn't even a year old could the battery already be going? If so I guess I will have to take the laptop to Best Buy were I got a warrt. so they can fix this problem.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Is your computer HP or Compaq?

I found this page that has information about time loss in HP desktop computers (but I'm sure it might work for yours - except the last step). It has several steps you can try before you try changing your battery.

Also, have you checked if you don't have some sort of malware (spyware) or virus? Try running some anti-virus/anti-spyware software just in case.

malu

P.S.: One last question: has your computer downloaded SP1 already?

Kerth
Kerth
My guess would be that if you're always losing two hours it thinks you're living in a different time zone, or is somehow losing the correct information when you power down. The motherboard battery is one possibility, but it's more likely that for some reason it has lost the plot on the correct time zone. This might be something like a corrupt digit in the file that remembers your clock settings. The best way to fix that is to make some changes, save them, reboot, then restore the correct values and save them.

Double click on the time (bottom right corner on most Windows displays) to get the calendar and clock setting panel and check your time zone, whether it's set to handle daylight saving time properly, and whether it's automatically updating its clock from the internet on boot up (which I strongly recommend if you always have a live internet connection).

If all of these are right make some changes, save them, and reboot, then set it back to the correct values, save, and reboot again.

Hope this helps.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
It doesn't do it all the time. In fact I wasn't online for over 24 hours and it didn't happen the time stayed right. My computer is a Toshiba. And yes I have download SP1.

Right now I'm visitin my sister and if it doesn't happen while I'm here I'm thinking prehaps my time losing might have something to do with living right across the road from a airport.

Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Marcus I have to say you were right my laptop some how was on a different time zone. I changed it back tonight so I'm hoping that was the problem and it won't happen again.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard