Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#230075 02/25/08 09:27 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
My 4 month old Toshia laptop is in the shop. When you booted the laptop up it would after you get it to your desktop page it would frezze up a minute or two in and then you would have to manuel shut if off. Then when you tried to turn it on again it does the same usually on the third try it works.

I scanned for virus and spyware found none. Neither did they at Best Buy their not sure why it's doing that.

Has anyone else had this type of problem with their laptop running Windows Vista?

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
#230076 02/25/08 11:58 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
How much RAM memory does your laptop have? Does it load a whole lot of programs in the background when it starts up? What files do you have running when you start it up (anti-viruses, firewalls, instant messengers, etc.)? There might be a conflict between softwares while they are being loaded.

EDITED TO ADD: Also, do you know if your computer recently downloaded any updates? Did you have this problem since the beginning, or did it start recently?

malu

P.S.:
I don't and never want to use Vista. It seems to have a lot of problems (still), and it looks so confusing (my sister's laptop has it, and I couldn't find a thing while trying to configure it). razz

I just hope my current laptop doesn't break down any time soon, so I'm not forced to have to use Vista. :p

Sorry, end of rant.

#230077 02/25/08 06:02 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Malu I have to say you were right on the money lol. I got a call late afternoon that my laptop was running now without locking up and when I went to pick it up the reason I was given as to what fixed this was that they got rid of some of the start up programs.

The guy that was there didn't work on my laptop so he couldn't tell me which program it was that was causeing the problem but I can tell you that now windows messenger isn't running on the start up menu anymore.

I'm alittle scare now to even use it because if this happens again they want $140.00 I think it was to fix this problem which took them about half a day to fix. Which I think is alittle bit over charging. But I brought a warnt. for the computer which I learned doesn't cover software problems they were nice though and didn't charge me this time.

But when there selling warnt. they should tell you out right if you have any problems with the software install we don't cover that. I understand if you get a virus but not when it's software that come install with your computer they sold you.

And of course they are sure to tell you once you get them on the phone and tell them the problem and it's the first time you hear about it and at the time you're not really listen to them you just want to know where to bring it in. Not that oh that's not covered after you've payed you're money.

Please don't pay mind to me I'm just alittle upset at the thought that if this were to happen again I would have to pay all that money to get it fix. Because I can't take it anywhere else are my warnt. would be broken.

#230078 02/26/08 04:41 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
But, are you saying that the computer has had these problems since the first day, or it only started recently?

If it's from the beginning, it IS definitely their problem, because they would be selling you a faulty computer (even being on the software side).

If it only started recently, and you installed softwares by yourself (not the store or from factory), it might be only one program that is not compatible either with Vista or with some other previously installed software. In this case, maybe it's a good idea to keep a list of programs you install, with dates, and if you start getting trouble, you might have an idea of what is the problem.

Before installing any program, also take a look online on the program's website (if it has one) if the program is compatible with Vista. Not all of them are. For example, my sister had a webcam that worked perfectly with XP, but when using with Vista, she only got a black screen, because the drivers weren't compatible with Vista.

One other thing: you said that the warranty would be broken if you took the laptop somewhere else. Well, if the warranty doesn't cover software, then they cannot cancel it if you take somewhere else to fix the software part, I think (as long as the other place doesn't touch the hardware parts). Maybe someone with more legal knowledge could read the warranty papers and evaluate that?

I hope everything works fine now. smile

malu

#230079 02/26/08 05:20 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I never download anything only Windows updates. It just started happening and when I asked about why they said they didn't know why it did.

(My old desktop scared me of ever downloading anything I had tons of spyware on it that would never come off. And caused it to crash when I download SP2 from Windows.)

I asked was it just a glitch and got a yes from them. I'm thinking the last update from Windows might have cause it. I'm not sure just hoping it doesn't happen again.

I still haven't used Windows messenger through I'm scare it might be the problem.

#230080 02/26/08 08:20 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I still haven't used Windows messenger through I'm scare it might be the problem.
I'm assuming you're talking about Windows Live Messenger, as Windows Messenger is not supported in Vista, according to this page (copy and paste):

msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms630960(VS.85).aspx

smile

malu

#230081 02/26/08 08:38 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
yes I mean Windows live messenger. I don't really use it anyway. It just pops up and I click it off so their no need for me to go out of my way if that's what is causing the problem.

#230082 02/26/08 08:52 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
You could remove it from your system, if you are not using it.

Follow this page 's instructions for Vista.

If you don't want to remove it from your system, but also don't want to have it start when you turn on the computer, you can remove it from startup. This site explains how to do it (second post, first suggestion).

malu

#230083 02/26/08 02:59 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I think Vista is acting up on my laptop today it's started up with when you got the page up for internet explorer not responding I had to restart the computer and then everything worked right. Then when I turned it on this afternoon everything worked right no problems.

But tonight it did the same thing I had to turn it off and restart and once again everything worked right.

So I'm thinking Vista is acting up. I don't have 1gb of ram in this Toshia I'm thinking that might be my problem.

#230084 02/26/08 03:31 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
It could be. People say that the minimum Vista requires is 1GB, so it might be running out of memory. This is the case if it is freezing when you open a new program. Would the store, maybe, sell you more memory and have it installed?

malu

#230085 02/26/08 04:44 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Yes they would but right now I don't have the extra money to add the memory I plan to once I get the money.

Because of my warnt. I have to use Best Buy and they charge so much to install and the memory at the moment is hundred dollars on it's own.

When I brought the laptop they were running a sale for $40 but I kept having trouble with the Toshia laptops it took me 4 time before I got one that worked without trouble past the 14 day return.

By the time I did the sale was off and close to christmas and I didn't have the extra money at that time to install it.

#230086 03/01/08 11:49 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I had to reload Vista today it just keep glitching until Live messnger start running again on startup even though it was taking off the startup menu then Internet Explorer wouldn't respond and the control panel wouldn't come up or I would get a blank page.

It took about 2 hours to get reload because I'm on wifi and it has a password and the laptop was trying to download a PS1 so I had to call up Toshiba again and they told me had to get it to stop restarting itself to fix that.

Seen then everything has been running well. I haven't trying downloading anything new I'm just wipe out for today I don't want anymore trouble today with the laptop.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard