Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, this is going to sound like THE dumbest question of all time, but it's been seriously driving me nuts for ages, so...

Does anyone know what the Firefox equivalent is of IE's 'Save Target As...'?

Every time I have to dl something, I have to close down Firefox and use IE instead, because I simply cannot figure out what to click in Firefox to perform that function. I mean there has to be one, right? But where the heck is it? I've tried everything, it seems, but nothing seems to do the trick.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't have firefox on my work computer, but I think I have it at home. If no one's answered by the time I get there this evening, I'll check it out for you. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, LabRat! I have Firefox in Portuguese version, but I think this is what you are looking for in English version:
[img]http://thumbs.modthesims2.com/getimage.php?file=249795[/img]

Right click on the link you want to download and choose "Save link as". wink

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Darcy!

Hey, UW - see, that one doesn't do it. Maybe it's the one that's supposed to and there's some glitch in my version of Firefox? Don't know. All I do know is that if I click on 'Save Link As...' it just saves the page to My Docs, but not the actual file.

So, if that is the right function to click to dl - and I have to admit that logically it does look like it should be - then my version of Firefox isn't doing it right. :rolleyes:

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
The download manager in Firefox should take care of that. You don't save the file like you do in IE using Save Target As, you just click on the link and the download manager saves the file to whatever directory you've determined in your Firefox settings. The default setting is your desktop.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The download manager will save the file automatically to your desktop, but the "Save link as" should work to download, too. huh Maybe an update in your Firefox version could fix it. A download tool extension could be useful, too. See Save Link in Folder and Download Sort . I haven't tested any of them.

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
I just remembered having that problem in an older version of Firefox. Maybe an update is in order?

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, guys. I'll try all of those. Pretty sure that'll fix it. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I've got the latest version, and I can't get this to work for me either.

In addition to that, FireFox seems to slow down everything. Anyone else have problems with that?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Merriwether
Merriwether
Firefox's 2.0 is NOT an upgrade. I switched back to 1.5.0.7 (now 1.5.0.8) almost immediately.

One of the problems is indeed increased slowness.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How do I switch back?

I'd also like to switch back to IE 6 (I can't save vids with Firefox. It just doesn't work.) And IE 7 stinks.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You can get FireFox 1.5 from here:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
It's got all the versions in all the languages for all the platforms, so the page is somewhat confusing... But I'm sure you'll be able to locate the English one quick enough, it's about the 10th in the list.

Normally, it should overwrite the one you currently have. Mind you, I haven tried, I never installed 2.0 cause I heard things about it that I did not like.

I'm surprised the "Save Link As" doesn't work... that would make it suck a lot worse that what I've heard! You'd think something as big as this, they would have managed to get working! *sigh* Don't you hate software companies? (hey, I'm allowed to say it: I work for one. *lol*)

Oh... BTW, there is an addon for FireFox that'll let you download embedded videos, if that's what you were trying to do, Nancy. I could go look for it and try it out for 'ya if you like. smile

For Internet Explorer - according to the page I found on Microsoft.com the way to roll back from 7.0 to an earlier version is to uninstall 7.0 (in Add and Remove Programs). It will switch back to the previous one by itself. If you're on XP, this means 6.0 - if you're on something earlier than that, then I'm not sure... All I know is that it will roll back to the previous version, because... well... Explorer is Windows and Windows can't work without it - you cannot completely unistall Explorer from a PC (unless you're seriously geek-oriented and I'm not even there yet myself).

I hope this helps a lil bit. wink

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I installed version 2.0 yesterday. It's working well. It shows "Save link as" and it's working for me. goofy

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
ROTFL, Andreia. That last little smilie is wonderful! Sums it up for me, too.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
I use the Mozilla Suite, now called SeaMonkey. I don't like Firefox hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
With both being Mozilla applications, what's the difference between Firefox/Thunderbird and SeaMonkey? I mean, I know there has to be one, otherwise they wouldn't bother to do the work, but reading the SeaMonkey website, I can't see what it does that the others don't.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I installed version 2.0 yesterday. It's working well. It shows "Save link as" and it's working for me
Same here. I've had it a 2.0 a couple weeks. No problems and it's still "save link as".

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Kerth
Kerth
Mostly is a different interface, Labby. SeaMonkey looks more like the old Netscape

Jose

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
For Internet Explorer - according to the page I found on Microsoft.com the way to roll back from 7.0 to an earlier version is to uninstall 7.0 (in Add and Remove Programs). It will switch back to the previous one by itself. If you're on XP, this means 6.0 - if you're on something earlier than that, then I'm not sure... All I know is that it will roll back to the previous version, because... well... Explorer is Windows and Windows can't work without it - you cannot completely unistall Explorer from a PC (unless you're seriously geek-oriented and I'm not even there yet myself).
Well, this should work. The thing is that on my add / remove page, everything is listed as a Windows update or hotfix or some such. I don't know which one to pick.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard