Next Thread
Print Thread
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I have the weirdest problem with Mozilla Thunderbird. Last year, I switched to using MT from OE. I really liked using MT and all the bits and pieces that made downloading mail much easier.

Everything went smoothly - until an email glitch hit my server and MT stopped downloading my mail. After a few mail-less hours, I discovered that I could still dl mail using OE, so I switched back to OE (temporarily as I thought at the time). But after my server fixed the glitch - MT still refused to dl my mail. I hit get mail and nothing happens. Zip. Zilch. It just sits there as though it's not received any command.

I finally deleted all MT files from my pc. I checked in search and it told me it couldn't find any MT files.

I dl MT fresh, direct from the Mozilla website. Installed it. But...when I launched it, instead of it coming up ready for me to set it up, it came up already set with all my previous subfolders etc in place.

In other words, it won't install MT fresh, but treats it as an update to an existing program already on my pc.

I thought I still had it cracked because it dl my mail. Once. The first time I launched it. And then reverted to the same problem of not dl my mail and just sitting there.

I've tried to install it from scratch three times now and gotten this same result. It's driving me crazy because I really hate using OE now that I've had a taste of something better. <g> I'm especially irked at losing the way MT quietly handled spam without me having to and I'm getting so tired of having to go back to old habits with OE and manually trawl through all my dl mail deleting spam before I can get to my mail. help

LabRat (not holding out much hope, but at her wit's end)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When you deleted Thunderbird, did you go into Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and delete it from there? Because, if you didn't, there'll still be files in your registry, which is why the software is treating it as an update to an existing program...

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yeah, Wendy. I removed it in Add/Remove, then went into downloads and manually removed the exe file and then into program files and manually removed the MT folder there (why on earth doesn't Add/Remove actually do the job and remove these basic files? Drives me nuts razz ). Then I did a search and it came up with no files found for MT.

But it still insists on acting as though it's still there. There has to be a remaining file for it...somewhere. But where the heck it is....

Thanks for trying though. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard