Next Thread
Print Thread
#228586 10/30/04 12:04 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I recently had to have my hard disk formatted grumble which resulted to losing lots of stuff, including songs I had downloaded, WIPs, L&C stuff and so on whinging Whatever.

Before that, I was using WinMX to download songs. I downloaded it again and installed it. It gets connected, I can search for songs, even put myself in the download queue, but... they can't download confused

I have disabled the firewall (at least, the one I know of), so I don't think that's the problem. Besides, I can download other stuff (like the videos posted here) without a problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Merriwether
Merriwether
You may need to try using a secondary connection instead of a primary connection. The option is right on the connection screen.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I've already done that, since I'm on dial-up, bu still nothing frown

AnnaBtG.

Top Banana
Top Banana
May want to try a different program - stay away from Kazaa, but there are others - LimeWire and eDonkey are ones I like.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I installed eDonkey and it works great. Thanks, Julie! smile1

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, after a while of using eDonkey just fine, Annette and Wendy enlightened me <g> as to it's evils. And also the existance of AdAware SE.

There were 3 programs in my uninstall/remove list - Websearch Tools, Search Assistant and WinTools Easy Installer. Trying to remove them didn't work - they didn't only come back, they didn't even have time to disappear. I disconnected myself from the internet and tried again, and the same things happened, meaning that the components for them were stored on my computer. So I disconnected myself off the internet, uninstalled and removed eDonkey, rebooted - and found those programs gone as well. AdAware SE also caught 500+ critical objects - and my last version, 6.0 (even though I ran all the updates regularly), would only catch tracking cookies and two files that kept coming back (Operation Julie's Computer started out by me asking how to get rid of them <g>).

Bottom line is, eDonkey is evil. I got rid of 6 *gigs* of spyware, and my computer is running SO much smoother and faster now.

Julie (very grateful to Wendy and Annette! smile )

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
So, I guess my problem remains...

I've been trying to use WinMX, but a) it takes a long time to connect and b) when it finally connects, "Network Is Unreachable". I've disabled the Windows firewall, but still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot,
AnnaBtG.

D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
I know kazaa is satan in green and pink spotted socks, but what about kazaa lite?

I've downloaded it and it works fine. If you can't find it - it likes to disappear sometimes, I think I still have the .exe file somewhere.

But heck, I've had no problems with eDonkey either, you just have to be careful during the installation and only run custom installs.
6 Gbs of spyware? Dayum. I'd remove it just to be on the safe side, but where else would I get my fix?

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
EDonkey is not the only server available to connect to the fs network.

eMule works great, and it's freelance developed, much like KazaaLite used to be, before they got legally grounded. The network is still alive and well, though.

I suggest using eMule to download KazaaLite and then going from there. laugh

Official site:

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The last time I tried to dl Kazaa Lite (from the official website) it came with a virus attached. Luckily my AV software warned me. I also found that it came bundled with a lot of annoying adware which was hell to remove after I removed Kazaa and which slowed down my pc every time I booted up by going through attempts to connect to the internet. razz

I'm currently on the hunt for a good PTP network. I tried to dl WimMX the other day, which I never had problems with previously. But it gave me an error message - something about my not having the right connection or software or something to be able to install it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Labrat - The original Kazaa Lite, free of adware/spyware crap is no longer available. The site they have now for "Kazaa Lite" is actually a non paying version of Kazaa which has nothing on the freelance developed versions.

It's an official Kazaa site. razz

You can't really find KazaaLite to download on the web anymore. It's still around on PTP networks, though.

eMule is what KazaaLite used to be, although the annoying upload/download ratings and queue cycles make it a hard option to get started on if you're on dial-up, for example.

I actually have a few versions stored on my disk which I had to download from eMule. goofy

Incidentally it used to be called KazaaLiteK++.

2_KaZaA Lite K++ 2.8 (by kazaalite.pl)
Kazaa Lite klitekpp243e English last adfree version of KazaaLite before server closing
kazaalite_202_b1
kazaalite_k++_240_fr
klitekpp241p_www.kazaalite.pl

You could do a search for one of those above, on the regular web but they're mostly found on other networks. goofy

I'm actually running Kazaa Lite K++ v2.4.3
Build date, Sept 24, 2003, build 1.

I would be willing to send you any of those through AIM laugh , once my cable connection is set up.

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard