Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228454 07/19/04 05:50 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi, wave

I´d like to know in what stages you turn out to be "promoted" cause i was just a cub reporter, now I think i´m something else... I´ve seen pulitzer members, editor´s in chief... how does this thing work? confused

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#228455 07/19/04 06:18 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
IIRC, it's

Cub reporter (aka: newbie wink ): fewer than 50 posts

Meriwether: 50-99 posts

Kerth: 100-299 posts

Pulitzer: 300 and up

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#228456 07/19/04 07:50 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks Rivka thumbsup

And who turns out to be editors in chief ? just moderators and site creators ? smile

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#228457 07/19/04 07:58 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Editors in Chief are the boards administrators, while Section Editors are the moderators.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#228458 07/20/04 03:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep, and the moderators only have "Section Editor" in the section(s) they moderate; everywhere else they have the same scale as everybody else.

PJ
Boards Admin
oh, the power... mwa-ha-ha...

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#228459 07/20/04 09:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
PJ
Boards Admin
oh, the power... mwa-ha-ha...
rotflol rotflol rotflol

got me giggling my head off here, Pam

TEEEEEEJ

#228460 07/20/04 09:43 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
notworthy notworthy notworthy Chief Pam notworthy notworthy notworthy

#228461 07/21/04 07:57 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi guys, smile1

#228462 07/21/04 08:28 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, it's a real ceremony and one of the fun highlights of the year. Hope you'll join us next time around, Mad Dog - I think you'll have a great time. And, no, you don't have to be nominated to join in the fun!

The Kerth chat channels are opened specifically for the ceremony - nearer the time you'll get all the details on the Kerth Awards Website and regular updates on that year's awards/ceremony are always posted here on the mbs too, in the Fanfic Related forum.

For general chatting, you'll find links to where to signup/get the passwords for the two major permanent LNC chat channels - #loisclark and #lanekent - here .

Both channels use mirc, but there are instructions on how to get started on that at the above link too and if you have any questions, just post here on the mbs and someone will get you fixed up. It's a lot easier than it looks. Trust this technophobe. <g> If I could do it, anyone can.

Happy chatting!

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#228463 07/21/04 08:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Teej & Mad Dog, you guys crack me up goofy

You can find out more about the Kerths at Erin's website, specifically the FAQ page... http://www.erinklingler.com/lnc/Kerth_FAQ.html

That should help explain stuff smile

PJ
who has promised to only use her powers for good, and not for, um, dinner...

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#228464 07/21/04 09:09 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks again Labrat smile1

#228465 07/21/04 09:20 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just clicked on it, Mad Dog, and it's working fine for me. Try going to the Archive and following the links from the home page. It's under Submissions and Archive Info in the list on the left hand side of the screen.

The Alt Kerths were held in 2001 and 2003 and catered for all the other things besides fanfic you could award for. Like best website, best music video and some of the quirky fanfic traditions like Tank Endings that didn't feature in the Kerths. I don't know if any more are planned. Although there are more potential nominees around. How about it, guys? laugh

There are also the nKerth Awards - which are for nfic. But of course there are age restrictions for their website and ceremony.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#228466 07/21/04 10:14 AM
Columnist
Columnist
The Alt Kerths were held in 2001 and catered for all the other things besides fanfic you could award for. Like best website, best music video and some of the quirky fanfic traditions like Tank Endings that didn't feature in the Kerths. I don't know if any more are planned. Although it's been a few years and there are more potential nominees around. How about it, guys?
In 2003 a new committee took over, and The Second Non-Annual Alt-Kerth Awards were held in June. Saskia, Jana, and I decided not to do another one in 2004 for a few different reasons, including the number of eligibles and our own lack of time. We are loosely planning to hold another in 2005, and probably every two years after that, although things can (and do) change.

~Anna
Alt-Kerth Committee Member

#228467 07/21/04 10:16 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You nipped in there while I was amending my post, Anna <g>

I googled earlier to get the website and ended up with the wrong one.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#228468 07/21/04 04:45 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
LabRat help

I´ve written a story. blush I had it Br-ed and I even posted it for some feedback before actually thinking about submitting it to the archive. It is a very small piece but it´s my first one and I guess that after a whole bottle of encouraging wine, I´d like to put it on the archive.

Editors and BRs are not the same thing, are they? I went to the submission session but the thing is: I couldn´t save my work on "text only" cause this stupid-win98-piece-of-crap-but-part-of-the-family computer said it isn´t possible. Can I submit it in Word anyway or should I ask someone to do it for me? confused

#228469 07/21/04 08:53 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, congratulations on having a story to submit, Mad Dog! smile

The Archive's General Editors aren't beta readers, no. Unfortunately at the current time, the Archive just doesn't have the time or resources to offer a beta reading service to authors. Although, increasingly, we are finding that General Editors are acting more and more as beta readers as new authors are unable to find volunteers to beta their work before submitting it to the Archive. frown Really, they're only there to provide a 'final polish' to a story though.

We do ask that you try to make sure that your story is as 'clean' as possible when you submit it. That means that you've run it through a spellchecker to get rid of most typos, and that it's at least got the basics in grammar and punctuation. It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but we - and our GEs! - appreciate any aid to reduce their work! <g>

Once you have your final version of the story, send it to me at the eddress below. WORD is fine - it won't take more than a few seconds for me to convert it before assigning it out to a GE.

One thing you can do to help and save me time is to ensure that the required story header is complete in the story file when you send it. The Submission FAQ will show you what is needed there. But if you have any questions just holler. smile

LabRat smile
Editor-in-Chief
The Lois and Clark Fanfic Archive
labrat@blueyonder.co.uk

The Musketeers
#228470 07/22/04 12:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've got Win98 (for a few days longer, before my new computer gets here, whoopee!) and Word 95 -- I just "save as" (on the file menu), pull down the "save as type" menu-box, and select "MS-DOS text (*.txt)" That strips out all the fancy formatting codes, and there you are smile

Or you could just send it to her in Word wink

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#228471 07/22/04 05:16 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
hey chief, thumbsup

#228472 07/22/04 05:57 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mad Dog, just send me the file and we'll take it from there. <G>

The reason we prefer text files is because generally speaking they're more universal, less prone to having glitches between individual pcs.

Sometimes a WORD file can look fine on your pc but end up on mine or from mine to the GE's with weird characters or other problems.

More often than not though, it'll come through just fine. If it's a problem file, we can work it out. So don't worry about the format too much.

Frankly, sorting out incomplete or missing headers is more time consuming for me than formatting problems. smile So, so long as you have that header in place in the file - you'll get a gold star from this EIC. wink The rest is incidental.

LabRat [Linked Image]

The Musketeers

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard