Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228329 05/12/04 01:40 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I've got this program on my computer, it's obviously a spy ware, that won't go away! I've deleted it a hundred times and it keeps popping back up on my desktop. Any ideas how to get rid of it for good?

SQD

#228330 05/12/04 01:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Have you tried a "restore" function? Back to a time before you got the spyware? should be in your System Tools section.

TEEEEJ

#228331 05/12/04 02:09 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
So far so good, TEEEJ. Thanks! I've downloaded both a pop-up blocker and use Adaware to remove spyware, but it almost seems the dang stuff is taking over! I have DSL service and just about every time I get ready to get on anymore, I have to weed my way through the spyware first! But thanks again!

SQD

#228332 05/12/04 02:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What is the programme, SQD? And have you searched for it (by name) on Google? If it's that persistent, there may be a specific removal tool for it.

If you post here to say what the programme is, chances are some of our professional-techie members may have heard of it and know how to get rid of it.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228333 05/13/04 12:10 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hey, thanks, Wendy! So far the restore seemed to have taken care of it. But if I keep having trouble, I'll definitely be back!

SQD

#228334 05/14/04 06:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SQD, my consultation fee is a million zillion dollars per post. Is your restore still working? If so I'll be sending you a bill on Thursday.

I will also negotiate the fee for a pony instead (about 14hands high and with a white stripe on his nose with braids and ribbons in his mane)

TEEEEEEJ

#228335 05/15/04 02:23 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Hey, TEEEJ, the check's in the mail! I promise. grumble It's becoming a royal pain! Any suggestions on that? I'd be willing to pay a million zillion dollars times two! laugh

SQD

#228336 05/15/04 04:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dang! I was hoping for the Pony. grumble

I'm not sure about the Ad pop-up thing though, but with your incentive of a million zillion times two, I might be compelled to research it.

TEEEEJ

#228337 05/15/04 05:30 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
My advice is to hunt up SpySweeper and install the evaluation version on your computer. It comes with one free update. It found stuff on my computer that other anti-spyware programs missed.

http://www.spysweeper.com/spyware-remover-download.html

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#228338 05/16/04 03:03 AM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
If you are constantly having to reset your home page, the spyware has not been removed. Your browser has been hijacked. What home page does the browser send you to?

Perhaps this earlier thread will help you: Spyware thread

Also, see info about CoolWWWSearch on this site http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=news You can download Spybot search and destroy from this site, too.

AmyN

#228339 05/16/04 04:06 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Back again, guys!

I've been using Adaware, but recently downloaded Spybot. It seems to catch more. Anyway, I've run it and it has successfully removed everything it's found except for this one file. I keep getting the message that the file is in memory and will be removed when I restart my computer. Been there, done that. It's still there. I also tried a manual removal with Quickclean, but got the message that the program was in use when NOTHING was in use. Spybot says the file is this
C:\WINDOWS\SysUpd.exe. I think this is what's responsible for constantly changing my homepage. Any suggestions? Amy?

#228340 05/16/04 04:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, you're not the only one who's had this problem. a net search for C:\WINDOWS\SysUpd.exe turned up quite a few hits of people saying they had the same exact situation. one of them said he'd fixed it with a certain program, but that explaining how to do it would be worthless because his explanation would make no sense unless you already knew how to use it. very helpful.

someone else posted this solution :

To get rid of sysupd.exe, an annoying virus like program that installs itself to Windows XP, here is what I did:
Reboot in safe mode
Delete all instances of sysupd.exe by searching
(c:\windows\sysupd.exe)
(c:\windows\prefetch\*.pf)

Go to the registry and do a search for sysupd
Delete all keys pertaining to this

As an extra measure of safety, copy the filenames
of the prefetch file and .exe file and create
bogus versions of these files using notepad and save them with the same name in the same locations in c:\windows and c:\windows\prefectch
that you found them in. Clear your browser cache.

Reboot and so far I haven't seen sysupd.exe since.
booting into safe mode probably is your best bet.

it's been suggested in a few other places.
those places also suggested using a program called hijack this , but even with that, you need to boot into safe mode and finish the job manually.

there's another thread about this issue here, if you'd like to check that out.

in any case, you need to be able to boot into safe mode. i'm not sure what version of windows you're using, but holding down the f8 key during the early bootup stages should do it. holding down the f4 key during bootup should bring you to a menu which will allow you to choose safe mode as one of the options.

safe mode basically loads windows with an absolute minimum of programs running. that way, the virus/spyware won't be activated, and you should be able to delete it.

you can get more info on safe mode by searching your windows help files for "safe mode." my computer lists the same information as you find here.

unfortunately, i can't say that i've ever seen this comp display the words "Please select the operating system to start." still, it should work if you press f8 at the right time. it may take a couple of tries, but you should be able to do it.

sorry i can't be more helpful on that score.

anyway, once you get into safe mode, you can either delete the file yourself, or you can run spybot again and it should be able to delete it.

good luck.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#228341 05/17/04 07:03 AM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Paul,

I tried that. Also, I downloaded Spyblaster. It's supposed to stop a bunch of things from even being downloaded in the first place. Guess we'll see.

SQD

#228342 05/17/04 04:29 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
One more question... how do you keep sites from attaching themselves to your favorites list?

#228343 05/18/04 01:31 PM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Get a good firewall, either software or hardware. With the correct settings and filters in your firewall, you'll be alerted when a program is attempting to make changes to your system or make unauthorized connections to the internet.

AmyN

#228344 05/18/04 03:23 PM
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
What's a good one, Amy? When I bought my new computer, I got a free trial of McAfee Firewall. It appeared to work well to start with, but later caused some device conflicts and I had to disable it. frown

#228345 05/19/04 09:37 AM
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard