Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228306 04/12/04 07:17 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I know I've been asking lots of questions here, and I'm afraid I'll start annoying you soon, but here goes.

The animated emoticons won't move for me, no matter how many time I refresh the page!

The ones I know are animated!
clap
laugh

Anyone knows what that might be?

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#228307 04/12/04 08:14 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i have a dialup accellerator program that came built-in from my ISP. it decreases the time it takes to load a page by not fully downloading the graphics. usually, i can't tell that the image quality has been reduced, and when i can, it doesn't bother me. sometimes, though, it gets a little annoying. luckily, i have the option to reload graphics singly or page by page in full quality.

in any case, doing so means that many pictures which are supposed to be animated... aren't. i noticed exactly that with the greamlins you posted.

so, i had the browswer refresh them with full quality. the accellerator kept them in the cache, and now they're properly animated.

it sounds like you may be having the same issue. do you have an accelerator program? earthlink, netzero, and AOL all have one built in now, and there are probably others out there.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#228308 04/12/04 08:19 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm not on dialup, Paul. I have cable. smile

And I'm wondering because they used to work fine for me. I don't know about the accelerator. I have no idea what that is.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
#228309 04/13/04 03:17 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Go to Tools -> Internet Options, and click on the Delete Files buttons. Reload the page, and see if that works. (Tech support mantra: Reboot, clear the cache. Reboot, clear the cache)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#228310 04/13/04 07:53 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Didn't work, Karen, but thanks for replying.

Julie huh

(The X-Files)
#228311 04/14/04 10:21 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
julie, an accelerator is a program, sometimes built directly into your ISP's software, that lets you "surf the web up to 5 times faster."

the way it works is that it doesn't fully load the pictures on websites. for the most part, that means that the pictures are slightly fuzzier than they'd normally be (often, not enough that you'd even really notice). in exchange for that fuzziness, you get a significantly smaller chunk of data to download.

it does, however, mean that a lot of the animated pictures don't actually get animated.

since no one else has found the reason for your problems, i'm wondering if your ISP might have added an accelerator program to its software recently. it might have been included in the latest upgrade.

for example, AOL now includes one as a built-in part of AOL 9. so, if you have AOL and you upgraded your software from AOL 8 to AOL 9, you might suddenly start to notice a difference in picture quality, even if you were using a high-speed connection.

i don't know what ISP you're using, if that ISP does include an accelerator, or if that accelerator (if there is one) has the same interface with mine. so, i'm not sure how much help i can be even if that is the problem. i can just tell you that when a smiley doesn't move for me, i can get it to work again using the right-click menu. i just right-click on the smiley in question and choose either "refresh image in full quality" or "refresh page in full quality" and, after it reloads, it works just fine. the program even caches what i've reloaded, so i don't generally have to do that more than once.

there's a small chance that that's what's happening to you, and that the solution is the same (or at least fairly similar). that's all i can think to suggest. hope it helps.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#228312 04/15/04 04:12 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hmm. I just noticed some of the graemlins are animated again. But not all of them that should be:

razz (not sure about that one)

mecry

party (nor this one)

Julie

(The X-Files)
#228313 04/15/04 04:15 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
All of them are moving. Is that what you wanted?

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#228314 04/15/04 05:30 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Roo, I meant on my screen. I don't see the ones I posted move.

Julie

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard