Print Thread
#228288 04/03/04 01:18 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
The member profiles on the boards aren't opening... Someone fix this! laugh

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#228289 04/03/04 01:22 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
profiles open just fine for me. maybe it was a server glitch? or maybe it's something on your end. do you have a pop-up blocker?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#228290 04/03/04 01:23 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Do you mean your own profile? I can access mine just fine...

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#228291 04/03/04 03:09 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
It opens a page that says, "Action Canceled."

I don't have a pop up blocker, it opens up a window, just not the page I want.

Julie (who's been having problems with this computer all along)

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
#228292 04/04/04 12:48 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I remember you saying that you were having lots of problems which could be spyware-related, Julie. Maybe this is yet another manifestation of that? Probably as a result of using file-sharing software - that's the worst offender in terms of spyware which mucks up your PC. razz

Do you run (and update) Ad-Aware regularly? And do you have a firewall installed and running now?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228293 04/04/04 07:22 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Er... No... I don't have a firewall... but I'll get one...

As for file sharing, I have Kazaa and WinMX but I usually have them closed. I do download sometimes, though.

I run Ad-Aware sometimes and I update it, too, only it doesn't help much (even though every time I remove 300-400 items). My previous questions about homepage hijackers, etc, were about a different computer! This one is a completely new one, and I've already got enough spyware on it to take up half the space. I have about 6 different homepage hijackers on it already!

Plus, I have a virus sitting on a system file which I can't get rid of because Norton won't let me quaratine it nor delete it, presumable because it is a sysytem file.

Julie frown

(The X-Files)
#228294 04/04/04 07:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
400-600 items a time?!?!?! cat

Give it up as a bad job, Julie - reformat the HD and then install a firewall and anti-virus and Ad-Aware *before* you do anything else on the Internet. In fact, if you can partition your hard drive and keep your downloads in a separate partition it'd be better still - that way your Word files and other important stuff won't get corrupted by anything you get online. Also, make sure that you update your spyware detection and anti-virus software regularly - at least once a week.

File-sharing is the easiest way to get your hard drive stuffed full of spyware and other malicious stuff - you shouldn't even think of doing it unless your computer is fully protected. frown

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228295 04/04/04 01:00 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I installed a firewall, accompanied by a pop-up blocker and they are now my two best friends. goofy

I don't want to format my computer, but I think it really will be nevessary. *sigh*

I don't know what to do about that virus. smirk

Julie

(The X-Files)
#228296 04/05/04 05:36 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
For the virus, try http://housecall.antivirus.com.

As for the hijackers, if you ever get a popup message asking you to install something, and it doesn't say MacroMedia, Microsoft, or Apple, click on NO. And never put the check in "always allow". This will stop 95% of the hijackers. And sometimes formatting is the only way to get rid of what's currently there. At work, my workstation had to be formatted 3 times in the space of a week because some idiot was clicking on Yes on those messages, and getting tons of spyware and adware on the system, and removing them usually messed the computer up good.

Kazaa also installs a lot of spyware and adware on the system. This is why I refuse to install it on my system.

Evil nasty hackers. We'll blocks them all, my precious, yes we will. We'll blocks them all and then we'll kills them! *pets her iBook*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#228297 04/05/04 05:47 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Evil nasty hackers. We'll blocks them all, my precious, yes we will. We'll blocks them all and then we'll kills them! *pets her iBook*
rotflol ROTFLMAO!! Oh, Karen, thank you - this made my day! /me wiping tears of laughter...

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#228298 04/05/04 04:40 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
LOL!!! laugh

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard