Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228128 06/08/03 03:51 PM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I usually leave my nick logged in, but today it's not working. For some strange reason, it somehow logs me off every few minutes and leaves me with threads that are a month old. Is anyone else having this problem?

BF

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#228129 06/08/03 05:27 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The boards were down for maintenance this afternoon (from about 5-6 pm ET) while our provider switched us over to a new server. (We did a full back up beforehand, just in case, but luckily, no problems this time! smile )

It might be what logged you out initially, if that's when the problem started, but I don't know why it would keep happening. You seem to be able to post fine, so it's obviously letting you back in.

As for the month old stuff, I'm not sure ... have you tried clearing your cache? Every so often, it does that to me, too, usually when I use the 'back' button -- it will take me to a version from earlier in the day. If I reload, though, it's fine. (Sure is weird though to have threads disappear!)

Hope some of this helps ... otherwise, we'll have to wait for the real experts to weigh in.

Kathy

#228130 06/08/03 07:27 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
On IRC last night there were a few people who also got the boards from May. When they logged out and back in again, it all was fine. Don't know if that will help you, but it may help others.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#228131 06/09/03 04:31 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Saskia (and anyone else who might be interested), that seems to be only a temporary fix... at least in my case. When I came by this morning, I got the May screen (although, when I clicked on 'today's topics' I actually got today's topics!). I've logged out and back in again, and as you said I would, I then got June.

That was fine, only when I came back later, I got May again. I've tried clearing my cache; that doesn't work.

I don't want to have to keep logging in and out, but I don't really see much of an alternative at the moment. Anyone got any ideas?

Chris

EDITED to say that overwriting my bookmark seems to have done the trick, but I haven't got a clue why because the URL looked the same to me. huh

#228132 06/09/03 04:38 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Another fix we've discovered -- go to the "my profile" link at the upper right hand corner of your screen, then click on "Update New Post Indicators". This should allow you to start seeing the new posts.

Annette is looking into why this keeps happening. We'll keep you posted!

Kathy (who had it happen to her this morning, too. How strange that it's not affecting everyone at the same time.)

#228133 06/09/03 05:36 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
It's still happening to me.. :p Today, I got here, had to login, then I left for a minute to check my email and somehow got logged out. Of course, when I came back, I had those pesky May posts again... Heck, I had them when I visited the boards the first time!

BF

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
#228134 06/09/03 06:23 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Krissie:
EDITED to say that overwriting my bookmark seems to have done the trick, but I haven't got a clue why because the URL looked the same to me. huh
Actually Chris has the right idea. I think this might be the problem. When I reset the boards CGI files (the script that makes the boards work), I might have added the word "The" in the title of the boards where it hadn't been before, so I think that might be messing up the shortcuts, though it shouldn't. So I'm going to suggest deleting the current bookmark and resetting it to see if that helps at all.

Laura, I really don't know what it's logging you out. Try logging out, closing the browser, clearing your cache then logging back in and see if it still persists.

Please keep posted on any other issues.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
#228135 06/09/03 06:51 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Tried that. <sigh> It didn't work.

Laura

--Thomas Moore

#228136 06/09/03 07:17 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It might be a stupid question, but I guess it's best to check it out just in case. Laura, have you checked that your browser allows cookies? Also, when you log in and type in your password, to you set Windows to keep it "in mind"?

Just some thoughts. smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#228137 06/10/03 02:15 AM
J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
The url was the problem for me.

Old url that gave may postings:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

New url that works correctly:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?

I bookmarked both the same way: I went to http://www.lcficmbs.com/ and clicked on the picture and bookmarked the following page. The first one is what the boards used to give. The second is what they give now.

--
Jeff
#228138 06/10/03 06:39 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I've been having this problem, too. This is what I've done:

I logged out and logged back in. That worked 'til I went away and came back, then I was back to May 18. I cleared my cache. That didn't work. I changed my cache folder. Nada. I cleared my cookies. Again, nada. The only thing that seems to have worked is logging out and then logging in again. I'm using Netscape 7.01. Could this be the cause?

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#228139 06/10/03 06:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If you click on the URL ending in 'php' which Jeff has shown above, you'll get a page from 18 May. If you click on the one ending in 'cgi?' you'll get the current front page.

Try deleting your old bookmark for these boards and replacing it with the current one: ie this - http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228140 06/10/03 06:58 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Since I bookmarked www.lcficmbs.com instead of the message boards directly, that's not going to fix the problem. OTOH, it seems to have stopped. I just loaded the page and it's up to date. <shrug> No idea what caused it or which thing I did fixed it. For me, anyway.

Tara huh

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#228141 06/10/03 10:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, when I refreshed the boards this morning I saw that all my visited links were orange instead of blue; and then I looked at the URL and it's back to .php instead of .cgi?

Have we migrated to another server again?

Wendy confused

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#228142 06/10/03 10:39 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
That happened to me too. But when I tried it again, it seemed I was back to the new server. I thought it was just my computer acting up again, glad that is not the case.

Unfortunately, all my links are back to orange, except those I visited in May. huh

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#228143 06/12/03 03:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Am I the only one standing on the sunny side here? well, I had no problem, and no 'month old' board greated me these days (me touches wood and hopes this will continue)

Carole

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard