Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, where did the year go? dizzy I love reading back through these threads at the end of the year and remembering all the great books I read and what you had to say about the ones you read.

Here are the details of how this works.

As usual, I got a huge box of books for Christmas, so I'm raring to go! Hope you are, too. Can't wait to see what you're reading this year.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
1. The Butter Battle Book, by Dr. Seuss.

Dr. Seuss's classic book about an arms race. More sophisticated than one might expect.

2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle.

A caterpillar eats and eats and eats until he has a stomachache.

(Can you tell small children are visiting?)

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Top Banana
Top Banana
3. Rain Makes Applesauce, by Julian Scheer

Beautiful art, catchy words ("Oh, you're just talking silly talk!")

4. Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp, by Mercer Mayer

A children's book, but might be too scary for the younger ones.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Hangman's Daughter - Oliver Potzsch

A middling historical mystery. To be honest, it was notable most for the fact that Magdelena was a completely peripheral figure, not central to either story or mystery. We learned almost nothing about her and her main role was to pop up every now and then and fluster the young doctor who WAS a main character by flirting with him. So the biggest mystery was why she was worthy of the title.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Exile's Valor by Mercedes Lackey.
Fun re-read of one of the Valdemar series, this time about Alberich, the Weaponsmaster of the Heralds.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#1 Presumed Guilty by Jose Baez

I've read a lot of true crime but never from the POV of one of the lawyers. While I'm sure there's bias, this book about the Casey Anthony trial did lead me to question some of the evidence.

Joan

Columnist
Columnist
I just discovered a new author - or at least new to me - whom I thoroughly enjoy. David Rosenfelt.

He writes quite intriguing legal mysteries which is not my favourite genre but his characters are witty. And, my favourite part is that the author is an incredible dog lover - he runs a rescue foundation - and although they're not always integral to the plot, there is a fair bit of interaction with dogs. The interaction is matter-of-fact and never forced which, even though I'm a dog lover, would completely turn me off.

I would highly recommend the 'Andy Carpenter' series which starts with 'Open and Shut.'

For more info, www.davidrosenfelt.com

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Top Banana
Top Banana
5. The Clan of the Cave Bear, by Jean M. Auel

This is an old favorite of mine (I first read it in high school) that I finally got a chance to finish re-reading. It's the first and best book of the Earth's Children series, a series of books about people in prehistoric Europe. There is great attention to detail, though not always quite accurate (scientific understanding has changed a bit since it was researched and written in the late 1970's and published in 1980).

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland

An interesting account about the woman who may have been the real designer behind the Tiffany Lamps!

Before Versailles By Karleen Koen

Fascinating account of the court of French King before he designed the famous building.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
1) The Eye of Moloch by Glen Beck

This book is labeled as a thriller. The first 80% of the book was very slow and boring. Nothing thrilling about it. The last 20% was a little better until the ending--a cliffhanger. I think each novel should stand on it's own and this one doesn't. It is also the second book in the series. I don't think I'll be reading the first book or the upcoming sequel.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#2 The Whisper by Emma Clayton

Sequel to The Roar. I only read the first book because my son was super excited about it. I'm a big fan of futuristic dystopia stories but this one was rather average and the sequel was average as well.

Joan

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
#2 Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

US Navy Seals on a mission in Afghanistan that doesn't go well. Good story.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#1 - Adventures of Superman - by Lucy Rosen, John Sazaklis, and Donald Lemke,
Pictures by Steven E. Gordon and Andy Smith, Colors by Eric A. Gordon and Brad Vancata

Okay, I know this is a compilation of "I Can Read" books blush but I did *read* it to my son. He received it for Christmas.

The first story "Meet the Justice League" was more an adventure with them than and actual origin story. Therefore, disappointing. Interesting factoid, according to this story Green Lantern founded the JL with Flash and Aquaman.

The second story is "Escape from the Phantom Zone." Sound familiar? Yep, Zod and his crew (from SM-II) are back and hating on Supes. Let's just say Superman defeats them in the traditional sense (ala Smallville) as opposed to the *new* MoS way.

The third story: "Superman vs. the Silver Banshee". The Silver Banshee was an interesting character and I wouldn't mind seeing more duals with her. She reminded me of the kind of villain, who wasn't all bad, just caught up in the wrong crowd and who made some bad decisions. She did make Lex Luthor look silly and that's always a plus in my villain book. wink

The last chapter/story was "Day of Doom", which I thought was an interesting story to use for an "I Can Read" Book. I definitely went in to it with fears that it would end with Lois weeping over the dead body of our favorite hero. But, instead, the author went with the ol' bait and switch ending and made Superman save the day. Let's say he did it in a way, I'm sure Lois will be asking about in her next interview.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
6. King Dork, by Frank Portman

A young adult novel that strives to be the Catcher in the Rye for the Millennial Generation and doesn't quite succeed. Still an entertaining read, though.

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Borgia Mistress - Sara Poole

Third outing for Poole's fictional poisoner to the Borgias and it was every bit a treat as the previous books. I do love a strong female character in a historical novel and Francesca is a marvellous example. Add in a cast of interesting side characters and an intriguing plot and you have a winner.

LabRat 😁

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#3 Grace, Gold and Glory by Gabrielle Douglas with Michelle Burford.

Interesting Gabby Douglas bio.

Joan

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Tactics of Mistake by Gordon R. Dickson

I've read numerous short stories by Dickson but this is one of a few novels. Tactics of Mistake is part of the Childe Cycle/Dorsai series. I like Dickson's writing but I would classify this as juvenile fiction based on the plot complexity.

Shallowford
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
3) Zoo by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. Thriller with an interesting twist to it. One of James Patterson's best recent novels.

Top Banana
Top Banana
7. Insane City, by Dave Barry

A bridezilla, a reluctant groom, 3 idiot groomsmen, Haitian refugees, and an orangutan--all in Miami. Very funny in parts, but with a fair amount of mood whiplash, too.

M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
4) One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

One year in America following the detonation of an electromagnetic pulse. Very good story, good writing.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard