Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

I quite enjoyed this YA fantasy novel. The ending felt unfinished which was a little disappointing and I've just realised that's because it's a series. I don't feel inclined to rush to read the rest but if they cross my path in the future I dare say I'll enjoy them, too. Apparently, there's also a movie which I should also check out.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
It's an interesting series worth finishing. I loved the Southern stuff with the old aunts and Amma's cooking. A warning, the movie takes a lot of 'liberties' with the plot.

Joan

Originally posted by LabRat:
[b] Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

I quite enjoyed this YA fantasy novel. The ending felt unfinished which was a little disappointing and I've just realised that's because it's a series. I don't feel inclined to rush to read the rest but if they cross my path in the future I dare say I'll enjoy them, too. Apparently, there's also a movie which I should also check out.

LabRat smile [/b]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ship: An Epic History of Maritime Adventure by Brian Lavery.
Awesome! A copiously illustrated history of ships, boats, kayaks, canoes, pirogues, boats, submarines, aircraft carriers, reed boats, carracks, battleships, cruise liners, and more! Fascinating reading.
[Linked Image]

Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.
I read this every year and find something new in it every time. Outwardly a fantasy story about demons, but in actuality a story about finding oneself and opening up to new opportunities.

[Linked Image]

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
21. The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis - First book of the Narnia Chronicles.

This is the first time I've ever read this. When I was a kid, I only made it through "The Lion, The Witch, and Wardrobe". I liked this book, because it explains everything that confused me in LWW. I'm starting to read the Narnia Chronicles to my kids. I told my kids that they couldn't see the movies until we'd read the books. I don't think they made a movie of this book though. (runs off to check) According to IMDb, there wasn't a film made of it; although Fox considered it for a while apparently. frown

Which book of the series did you like the best? /please, no spoilers, as I've only read the first two/. Just curious. smile1

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Which book of the series did you like the best? /please, no spoilers, as I've only read the first two/. Just curious. smile1
My brother got the whole series for Christmas when I was about 12. I read the whole series in a week. I think it took me 2 days for The Magician's Nephew and then I got faster and faster until I read the last two in just one day.

The Narnia Chronicles are what started my love of fantasy worlds. My favourite would be the last one: The Last Battle.

Disney only made LWW, Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. BBC made all these PLUS The Silver Chair many years ago - very much for children with obvious special effects. But still, I loved them and was very annoyed not to see The Last Battle done - but it's very much the 'adult' book of the series.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmmmm. I adored this series when I discovered it, around 12 or so and I, too, credit it with introducing me to the wonders of fantasy literature, which has stayed with me lifelong.

I'd have to say, TLTWATW, just because it had it all...adventure, a genuinely terrifying villian(ess), great characters and a talking lion. I spent many years wishing I could meet one of those. laugh And the death of Aslan was one of the moments which struck me in the heart and can bring me to tears just thinking about it to this day. At that young age, this book was a revelation in so many ways and has had so much resonance down the years.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard