Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
14. Percy Jackson #2 - Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
15. Percy Jackson #3- The Titan's Curse - Rick Riordan

The Percy Jackson series improved after book 1, which I thought was quite predictable. In some ways, it reminds me of the Harry Potter series; although, not so well written or imaginative, but still fun. My daughter loves all the Greek Mythological references and has become obsessed with Greek Mythology since we started reading them. (She hated the movie of the first Percy Jackson movie, because it went so far away from the book.)

16. Trixie Belden #5. The Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie Campbell

Tomboy Trixie is back to her normal hijinks again. This time she pretends to like an obnoxious boy in order for her father to give her a ring he's keeping in the safety deposit box, so that she can use it to hold the car her brother wants to buy until he has the money to buy it. She also thinks there's a poacher in Honey's woods.

17. Fudge-a-Mania by Judy Blume

We went back and read the book that we missed in the fudge series. Peter, Fudge and the rest of the Hatchers spend the summer in Maine sharing a house with Peter's arch-nemesis Sheila and the Tubmans. Fudge is once again his charming self. clap

My son *loved* the Fudge books and even told me to write Judy Blume and insist she write another one, because we've finished the series.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Second Empress - Michelle Moran

I enjoyed this - especially as it was about a period of history and characters I know little about - but I can't say that it's my favourite from this author. It seemed to skim the surface somewhat.

Handle With Care
The Pact
House Rules

All by Jodi Picoult. I had exactly the same reaction to these as I did to my first book by this author (My Sister's Keeper). I enjoyed it, but felt let down by endings that seem rushed, too pat/convenient and at times completely ludicrous and unbelievable. Also, plots with holes so large you could drive a Giant Monster Truck through them. Yet, despite these frustrations, I didn't feel my time had been wasted.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I have the same issue with this author. I enjoy the characters she creates and their individual voices. She comes up with intriguing plot lines and you get really pulled into the story. Like you said, there are holes in the plots. The endings, especially to "My Sister's Keeper" and "Handle with Care" annoyed me to no end. I felt like the author was trying manipulate my emotions rather than tell the logical conclusion to end the story. It felt like a "Gotcha" that was botched.

Nevertheless, I continue to read books by this writer because they do entertain and get me thinking.

Joan

Originally posted by LabRat:

[b]Handle With Care
The Pact
House Rules

All by Jodi Picoult. I had exactly the same reaction to these as I did to my first book by this author (My Sister's Keeper). I enjoyed it, but felt let down by endings that seem rushed, too pat/convenient and at times completely ludicrous and unbelievable. Also, plots with holes so large you could drive a Giant Monster Truck through them. Yet, despite these frustrations, I didn't feel my time had been wasted.

LabRat smile [/b]

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I enjoy the characters she creates and their individual voices.
Yes, I definitely think those are her strengths and probably what will have me coming back for more. Despite the failures in her books she has a knack for creating characters I care about, root for and want to come out okay. So even when I'm rolling my eyes and thinking WTH? I want to read to the end.

Plain Truth
Perfect Match

More Piccoult. I think I enjoyed these two the most, so far. In PT, Piccoult's obvious affection and respect for the Amish shone through and was somewhat endearing. In PM, I liked the fact that it appeared to be about A but was actually about B. And both plots seemed to hold up a bit more than the others I've read.

LabRat :-)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#48 Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Last in the Beautiful Creatures series. I wasn't sure where this book would go with the sudden ending of the previous one. It took an interesting turn which kept my interest. Overall it was a well done and enjoyable series.

Now my daughter is trying to get me to read the Mortal Instruments books.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#49 New Earth by Ben Bova

Set in the distant future, a ship of explorers discover what seems to be a new Earth. Bova does a wonderful job with continuity with his books. His time line between books written in the 90s and now is consistent and so are the characters, which amazes me.

Joan

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Ruby Throne Trilogy - Deborah Chester:

Reign of Shadows
Shadowwar
Realm of Light

I quite enjoyed this simple, uncomplicated little fantasy trilogy. Was it epic fantasy? No. But that hardly mattered.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.
A planeload of beauty queen pageant contestants crash-lands on an uninhabited island. Satirical, witty, and just plain fun to read.

Going Bovine by Libba Bray.
Told from the first-person viewpoint of a kid who is diagnosed with mad cow disease and wants to live. Much better than I'm making it sound.

Cold Days by Jim Butcher.
The latest in the Harry Dresden series. Harry is a wizard in Chicago. He's become the Winter Knight to Queen Mab of Faerie. Adventures ensue. Every chapter ends on a cliffhanger and I couldn't put it down.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#50 Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight

A single mother (and the police) goes through her daughter's texts, phone messages, etc... to determine why (and if) she killed herself. For the most part the story was well done. There were a few credibility issues but it had me wondering til the end.

Joan

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The River King's Road - Liane Merciel

I thoroughly enjoyed this first book in a new fantasy trilogy. All the big themes are in place, with the addition of well- rounded characters. I'll be treating myself to book two for Christmas.

Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit - Mercedes Lackey

I loved this take on Authurian legend. Also intriguing was the author's note with its account on ancient records citing 'The Three Great Queens of Arthur's Court' - all with the same name. Fascinating stuff.

LabRat :-)

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#51 Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

A woman tries to learn more about her past in which several of her family members were killed in one terrible evening.

This writer tends to deal with disturbing subjects. Her characters are not that likeable but the plots are very innovative.

Joan

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Chaos Walking Trilogy 1: The Knife Of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness

Imagine you're the only boy in a town of men. And you can hear everything they think. And they can hear everything you think. Imagine you don't fit in with their plans... Todd Hewitt is just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man. But his town has been keeping secrets from him. Secrets that are going to force him to run...
Just finished this amazing fantasy and all I can say is...wow. Written in the first person, the voice of our young hero, Todd, is compelling and evocative. I was on the edge of my seat throughout. I cried after a particularly heartbreaking loss. The shocking cliffhanger had me scurrying over to Amazon to get books 2 and 3 dl to my Kindle pronto.

If you loved Hunger Games, I'd urge you to try this.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
18. Percy Jackson: The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Book 4 of the series and the excitement level builds. This isn't your Harry Potter where only rarely do kids die. This is a full blown war and there are many casualties. I loved the mortal character Rachel Elizabeth Dare, who can see the monsters hidden from others.

19. The BFG by Roald Dahl

My daughter read this in school last year, and loved it, and my son chose it as his read aloud book for bedtime. It was awful. Hard to understand, even harder to read aloud. The plotting and characters were weak and the ending straight out of dream, so much so I expected it to turn into one. My daughter kept telling us how funny it was, and my son and I kept waiting for the humor to arrive... we've finished the book and we're still waiting.

20. The Monster's Ring by Bruce Coville

Interesting look at how to solve one's bullying problems: get a magical ring which turns one into a monster. Lots of fun in the 'watch out what you wish for' category. evil Great read aloud book for around Halloween.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#52 Buffy Goes Dark by Lynne Y. Edwards. Essays about Seasons 6 & 7

I'm a Buffy fan but I've never been involved with that fandom. That was when my kids were little and I just didn't have the time. So I was excited to read some insight into the seasons that I had questions about. Frankly, I would fare better looking for an on-line group. The essays rarely touched upon any of my concerns and appeared more pseudo intellectual.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#53 The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud

An frustrated would-be artist who feels trapped by her life befriends an exotic family. I kept waiting for her to stop make excuses and get on with her life.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#54 Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

A woman learns her birth father is a serial killer then works with the police to capture him.

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Chaos Walking Trilogy - Patrick Ness

II : The Ask And The Answer
III : Monsters Of Men

The rest of this trilogy didn't disappoint - thrilling, thought-provoking and engrossing right to the end as it took our heroes and villians in surprising new directions. I also loved the effective use of language and fonts which enhanced the action. Brilliant! This is going to be a much-loved and much-revisited tale in the future.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#55 The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#56 Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand

A light soapy read about a family during one of the daughter's weddings.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#57 Chalked Up by Jennifer Sey

My daughter is heavily involved with gymnastics so she and I both read this book about Jennifer Sey, the 1986 National Gymnastics Champion. A lot of disturbing stuff...

Joan

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard