LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Happy New Year and may you have lots of happy reading in the year ahead. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#224027 01/01/11 09:02 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I just saw some of the discussion for 50 Book Challenge for 2010. Is there a new list for books in 2011 or is this just a place to discuss any books we've read in 2011? I love to read smile

#224028 01/01/11 02:06 PM
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
Any books that you have read.

Good! A new year. I got lost last year!

#224029 01/01/11 04:13 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It's a bit of both, really. The original thread was begun by Jojo in 2007:

I just joined a nice live journal community that is challenging people to read at least 50 books this year. I thought this might be a nice challenge to share with all of you. I know I spend a lot of time reading fanfiction but it has been a really long time since I made room for normal books in my life. I used to read them all the time when I was in highschool but once I started college I let that drop out of my life. Sadly I read maybe 3-4 books a year now. This is pretty pathetic. So this year I am challenging myself to try to accomplish reading the 50 books.
That's why those posting what they've read to the thread number each book in their post - to keep count.

But most of us beat that one fairly easily laugh - so it's also just a way to mark what you've been reading and discuss it, if you wish.

It's often a good way of finding new things to read or new authors to enjoy and it's become something of a tradition to start a new thread and a new challenge each year.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#224030 01/01/11 05:58 PM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
Great idea! It's fun to compare notes on books and authors. I just got one of those electronic readers (Nook) for Christmas so I've been downloading different books than usual. Just finished:

1. That Old Cape Magic xx Russo

Never heard of the author before. Great characters development, though you want to kick the main one in the head for some of the stuff he does.

Joan

#224031 01/02/11 03:35 AM
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
I think I am going to keep track of my 50 books as well. I go in spurts where I will read several books in a week, and then will go a month without reading a single book.

Book 1. Still Alice by Lisa Genova Very poignant look at Early Onset Alzheimer's from POV of the sufferer. Brilliant Harvard Professor is diagnosed at age 50 with EOA. I was in tears through a good portion of the book. 4.5 out of 5 stars

Book 2 The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins After finishing the first book, I needed something a bit lighter. This romance centers around Lucy and her quest to get back to dating some 5 yrs after her husband died. I generally like this author for some quick, fun escapism, but I just could not get into this book. 2.5-3 ou of 5 stars

#224032 01/02/11 04:23 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
As usual, I've amassed a pile of books for Christmas (chuckles gleefully), so I expect I'll be happily snuggled on the sofa for a time to come.

#1 The Neighbour - Lisa Gardner

LG is on my list of thriller-lite authors. Not terribly complex or taxing, but an enjoyable read all the same.

I did enjoy this one, although I thought it pretty much fell apart at the end. In fact, at one point I was looking at the small amount of pages left to go and thinking, "How on earth is this all going to be wrapped up in so little time?" The answer was in an extremely rushed and implausible fashion. I just wasn't buying much of it.

But for all that, I did like the fact that it centred on a character previously seen in another book, so I found his journey fascinating. The kid was cute. And it had enough little twists and turns to satisfy me, in the main.

#2 The Dead Room - Chris Mooney

I read my first CM novel last year, when I picked it up at a charity store. I enjoyed it enough that I put a couple on my wish list. This one took me a few chapters to get into but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. Having spent years reading thrillers it's very hard for an author to genuinely surprise me, but Mooney managed it with an absolutely stunning and horrific twist at the end. Excellently pulled off - did NOT see that coming and brilliantly worked, so that it led to a real moment of confusion slowly blossoming into dawning realisation and shock as in "Huh? What the...? But, hang on... But that means, they...! Holy...! OMG!" laugh And then, I remembered back to previous incidents in the book which had seemed to be one thing but in light of this new revelation suddenly became something else, something much darker, much more pitiful. Brilliant.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his novels now. If they're up to the standard of this one, I've got some good reading to do.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224033 01/04/11 07:55 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I've lurked in the challenge thread since it began. I love to read, but unfortunately, I have so much on my plate, it's more of luxury than anything else. I'm lucky if I can manage a full book every few months... other than the ones required to homeschool my kids. I do like the challenge idea and being that I do homeschool, I've issued the challenge to my kids. However, I set a finish date of August 1st... I have 3 boys (8, 12, 17), so you can imagine it's like pulling teeth to get them to read! What's a Mom/teacher to do? MONEY! I'm bribing them! grumble )

But, just thought I'd throw in how I'm using this idea to spark a bit of reading around my house. And yes, I'm going to work on my reading, too. (If I can manage to pull myself away from fic reading! laugh )

SQD (happy reading all)

#224034 01/04/11 01:29 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Most of my reading for the last few years have been here. I still read books, but I find that the expense of new books to be somewhat prohibiting. Most of my friends don't read the same things that I do, so trading books is not an option.

I've decided on a different tactic. Over the years I've acquired more than 800 books (mostly paperbacks). A couple of years ago, in an effort to start to 'simplify' my life (I'm getting old and the clutter is beginning to overwhelm) I sold about 500 of those paperbacks to my buddy's comics and games store. That left me still with about 300 books that I couldn't part with.

So, I decided that since I still have a lot of books, that I'd start to read them again. It's amazing how little you actually remember of books that you read twenty to thirty to forty years ago. They are basically like reading something new.

There are some things with I have to keep up with, like the Dresden files books. But for now, I'll concentrate on older books.

Tank (who says that things might change a bit if he decides to go with a nook, to make nightime reading easier and more comfortable)

#224035 01/06/11 07:46 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#3 The Soul Collectors - Chris Mooney

Well, CM hasn't let me down yet and this book was just as enjoyable as the others. Some of the plot elements hovered a little on the border of belief, but that was a minor point. I was a little unsure of his chief protagonist - Darby McCormack - initially, but by this book I'm definitely getting to like her. She strikes me as being very much a female Jack Reacher. A word of advice to villians out there. Do not even think of kidnapping Darby McCormack and threatening to torture and/or kill her. Just. Don't. She will go nuclear on your butt. Walk away now.

#4 Exposed - Alex Kava

I've read all of AK's previous Maggie O'Dell novels and enjoyed them immensely. But this one just didn't work for me. I felt it was tired, the characters seemed to just be going through the motions and doing what they'd done for several previous books. Add that to a lacklustre plot and lots of pages of science talk which bored me and this was a definite dud.

Fortunately, I'm a third of the way through the next book in the series and that is much more like it.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224036 01/08/11 04:42 PM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#2 In the Still of the Night - by Ann Rule

Ann Rule usually does a good job with true crime. I was a little disappointed that all the pieces didn't fit together but that's the nature of true life crimes sometimes.

Joan

#224037 01/11/11 05:11 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
1. The Magickers vol 2 - Emily Drake

I was given the two volumes for Christmas. Jason Adrian was looking forward to soccer camp, until he sprained his ankle. Instead, he goes to an "academic" camp, where he learns that he is actually a "Magicker." He starts to learn about his Talent, and about the battle being waged against The Dark Hand. It's billed as the american Harry Potter.. the characters are good, and most of the story, but the writing leaves a bit to be desired. The author tends end the books abruptly, like she doesn't know what else to do with it. The series was dropped from the publisher, and I hear she'll be posting book 5 on her website.

2. Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Book 13 of the Wheel of Time series. This was actually a fairly quick read for such a huge book, compared to the middle of the series. Things are gearing up for the end, and there's only one book left in the series. There are times when you can tell who wrote which section (Robert Jordan tends to get a bit long-winded and detailed in his descriptions, for instance), but it meshes very well. Brandon Sanderson has done a great job taking over after RJ's death.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#224038 01/13/11 05:59 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#5 Black Friday - Alex Kava

This one started well, but quickly lost its fizz around the halfway mark and I struggled towards the end. I feel that with these last two books, Kava has been pretty much phoning it in. They seem tired and lacklustre. I started the third, but have been slow to pick it up again and, to be honest, I can't remember what it's about. Doesn't bode well! laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224039 01/17/11 04:07 PM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#3 "Water for Elephants" bu Sara Gruen

It took me a while to get into it, but it was an engaging story. I've heard rumors of this being made into a movie and it could be very good.

Joan

#224040 01/19/11 05:22 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#6 Damaged - Alex Kava

I actually enjoyed this more than the other two - despite 101 reasons why I really shouldn't have. Like a protagonist who was such a minor, peripheral character that he made almost no impact on me; a slow beginning and an ending that seemed crammed into the final 10 pages and rushed; a subplot about dying soldiers which seemed pointless, even though it did tie in, slightly, towards the end....

It was saved by the inclusion of some interesting characters solely invented for this book. Sadly, I found the recurring characters, including Maggie, somewhat boring. And I do wish that Ms. Kava would make up her mind about Maggie's love interests. There's Nick - who I suspect Kava sees as a romantic character, but who strikes me as a complete stalker. Then we suddenly got two new guys whose relationship with Maggie is equally nebulous and hard to pin down.

I may be a little more cautious about rushing to buy the next novel in the series as I really think they're beginning to grow stale.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224041 01/20/11 02:06 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I saw last year's list in October and there was no way I was going to remember everything I read. So, this year I'm starting right away:

1. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett
2. "39 Clues, Book 2: One False Note" by Gordon Korman
3. "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney

"The Help" was amazing. The characters were created so well that I actually cried at the end...

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#224042 01/20/11 02:13 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Tank:
I still read books, but I find that the expense of new books to be somewhat prohibiting. Most of my friends don't read the same things that I do, so trading books is not an option.
Get a library card!! Most of the books I read last year were borrowed. I get the book for three weeks and can renew it for another three weeks if that's not enough. I can also borrow audiobooks, music CDs, movies and TV shows on DVD. If a book I've borrowed is really good and I plan to read it again someday, then I'll buy a copy.

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#224043 01/20/11 02:17 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Anne Spear:
Originally posted by Tank:
I still read books, but I find that the expense of new books to be somewhat prohibiting. Most of my friends don't read the same things that I do, so trading books is not an option.
Get a library card!!
Or join one of the online book swapping clubs. The two I use are: www.paperbackswap.com and http://www.swap.com . You'd have to pay for shipping and a small handling fee, but it is still a *lot* cheaper than buying books new.

Joy,
Lynn

#224044 01/20/11 06:00 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This looks like a lot of fun.

I generally drop any books I've read but don't want to keep at a local charity shop, but I'm rethinking that policy after listening to one of the staff rejecting a donation from someone on the grounds that they had always had too many and they aren't they're greatest sellers. (Never thought I'd hear a charity shop turn down a donation of anything, but there you go!) I've since noticed that they've drastically reduced their book section, so clearly they'd rather not have them.

So I might try signing up to some of the UK book swap clubs. Goodness knows, I have a truckload I could list there!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224045 01/21/11 06:45 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#7 The Amber Room - Steve Berry

I read my first book by Berry - the Romanov Prophecy - just before Christmas and enjoyed it enough that I added another couple to my wish list to try out. I really enjoyed this one, too. Very much in the territory of Dan Brown - although I get the impression that Berry was writing his novels first. An intriguing mix of historical fact, treasure hunt and thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat and reading into the small hours.

I'd never heard of the Amber Room until reading this novel. And I can only echo the sadness expressed in Berry's notes at the end of his book at its vanishing. It must have been an extraordinary, wondrous sight and its loss to the world is a sad thing, indeed.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard