Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
#224126 06/07/11 03:52 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
*bows to Labby's superior reading speed*

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#224127 06/07/11 04:48 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
More re-reads
21. Lady Whistledown Strikes Back - Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Mia Ryan, and Karen Hawkins
22. Further Observations of Lady Whistledown - Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Mia Ryan, and Karen Hawkins

Both are Regency romances set in Julia Quinn's Bridgerton universe.

23. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing - Jude Blume - I had a revelation about Peter's turtle, so I had to read it. It's been many many years since the last time I read it!

23.5. Santa Baby - Jennifer Crusie, Lori Foster and Carly Phillips - I didn't finish this one. Jennifer Crusie's story was fast paced (took place in about 12 hours or so) and it didn't lend itself to any sort of character growth that I've seen in other short stories, such as the ones above. Her writing definitely works better in a longer format. Lori Foster's story was pure smut. Not what I was looking for, even in a romance novel, and definitely not something I felt comfortable reading in the middle of the restaurant where I was having lunch. I didn't even bother reading Carly Phillips' story, as the premise sounded equally as bad. Good thing this was a library book and not something I bought.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#224128 06/08/11 03:34 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
*bows to Labby's superior reading speed*
blush Sorry. I can't help it. goofy I'm just having way too much fun to stop. wink

#83 Poison: A Novel of the Renaissance - Sara Poole

I absolutely adored this look at the Borgias and Fifteenth Century Rome seen through the eyes of the fictional Francesca - official poisoner to Rodrigo Borgia.

Ms. Poole clearly believes that the Borgias were victims of malicious propaganda as here they are the good guys. Ruthless and ambitious, certainly, but no more so for the times they live in than anyone else around them and also honorable and even kind.

The fictional characters that interact with them are engaging and richly drawn and her writing style is easy to read. This one kept me on the edge of my seat until the small hours of the morning and I've already put book two on my wish list. Can't wait to see what happens to my new friends next!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#224129 06/08/11 06:14 PM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#17 Thin,Rich, Pretty by Beth Harbison
Light but entertaining.

#224130 06/11/11 04:04 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#84 The Alexander Cipher – Will Adams
#85 The Exodus Quest – Will Adams
#86 The Lost Labyrinth – Will Adams

I was all set to dash off a few paragraphs about how much I was enjoying this series of archaeological adventures – but I’m still upset over the shocking ending to the third, in which one of the main characters was unexpectedly and brutally bumped off in the conclusion. eek

I sat up to the small hours, enthralled, and this is how you repay me, Will Adams? /me shakes her fist and curses. razz

LabRat smile (who's also pretty ticked about poor Argo, too...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#224131 06/14/11 06:10 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Since my Kindle broke, and I've had to re-organize everything in my collections, I figured I should now add the books I've finished since the last time I posted--so I don't forget again.

4. Deathworld by Harry Harrison (paperback)
5. I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
6. The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch and Lee Chadeayne
7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and Reg Keeland
8. The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson and Reg Keeland
9. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson and Reg Keeland

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#224132 06/17/11 01:07 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#6 - Nerfertiti - Michelle Moran

I really liked this one. It's the story of the rise and fall of Nefertiti, the Pharaoh Akhenaten, and the city of Armana. It tracks the political discord as the Pharaoh turns from the "old" gods to the worship of Aten, the sun. Told from the point of view of Nefertiti's younger sister. It was a fun, interesting look into what life might have been like in ancient Egypt. The characters are well-painted and compelling. A fun read. I'll probably read the sequel, The Heretic Queen.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#224133 06/19/11 03:51 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Many thanks to Sue for providing me with a new pile of Tess Gerritson books, just when I was in the mood to enjoy them. sloppy

#87 The Keepsake
#88 Whistleblower.
#89 Ice Cold
#90 Harvest
#91 Bloodstream
#92 The Sinner
#93 Body Double
#94 The Mephisto Club

And thanks, DC, for the headsup on Michelle Moran. Sounds very interesting and turns out I have three of hers among my Kindle collection. I'm looking forward to checking those out. I'm a sucker for books about ancient cultures.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224134 06/19/11 07:00 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And thanks, DC, for the headsup on Michelle Moran. Sounds very interesting and turns out I have three of hers among my Kindle collection. I'm looking forward to checking those out. I'm a sucker for books about ancient cultures.
Anytime Labby! I haven't started on her other ones yet. Working on a different book right now. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#224135 06/20/11 11:46 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#18 Save Me by Lisa Scottoline
Not quite what I thought it would be, but entertaining. Housewife solves murder mystery.

#19 Suffer the Children by Marilyn Wedge
Interesting book about the over use of medications for children with ADHD and such.

#224136 06/20/11 02:43 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#95 Sovereign - C J Sansom

First I’ve read by this author - in the genre of historical murder mysteries - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Full of the – often distasteful and disturbing – details of medieval life and with an engaging set of characters. Added enjoyment came from it being set to the backdrop of Henry VIII’s Great Northern Progress, so I had fun with the fresh perspective on all the familiar characters I knew from watching The Tudors. Rather sad I only have the one book as I’d have loved to have read more in Sansom’s Matthew Shardlake series.

The Musketeers
#224137 06/22/11 11:13 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#7 - Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry

This is suppossedly a companion to "The Giver" but it falls FAR short of the amazing story that "The Giver" was. In this book, Kira, a girl with a twisted leg, is taken by the village council to become the one who works on the robe that the village Singer wears once a year to recount the story of the world. She must learn how to dye the threads that she will use to repair and create new places on the robe - but no one knows how to make the color blue. I was honestly extremely disappointed with this book. I felt like the story ended just when it started to get a little interesting. If you are going to read a Lois Lowry book, just stick to "The Giver" (one of my favorites) and call it a day.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#224138 06/23/11 11:30 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
#9 - The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton

I promised myself that this year I would read classics. Started with The Great Gatsby (which I loved mostly due to its fast pace, and the way the characters linked to each other) and just finished The Age of Innocence.

For a book that won the Pulitzer I wasn't expecting such lukewarmness. All the way through it seemed like nothing essential was happening, even though the relationships between the characters were shifting - but still it was too platonical for my taste. And the ways of old New York's upperclass families were too superficial to empathise with them. I didn't dislike the book but I kept expecting that something happened untill the last page and that moment never really came.

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
#224139 06/24/11 01:17 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#96 Nefertiti
#97 The Heretic Queen
#98 Cleopatra's Daughter

All by Michelle Moran, of course. Ancient Egypt and Rome brought vividly to life. I think CD was my favourite, but I enjoyed them all and I'll definitely by adding this author to my watch list in the future.

#99 Takeover – Lisa Black
#100 Evidence of Murder– Lisa Black
#101 The Road – Cormac MacCarthy
#102 The Gateway Trilogy 1: Night Gate – Isabelle Carmody
#103 The Gateway Trilogy 2: Winter Door – Isabelle Carmody

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224140 06/28/11 05:26 AM
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#20 Faith by Jennifer Haigh

This writer does an interesting job of creating characters from different eras.

Joan

#224141 06/28/11 06:44 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#96 Nefertiti
#97 The Heretic Queen
#98 Cleopatra's Daughter

All by Michelle Moran, of course. Ancient Egypt and Rome brought vividly to life. I think CD was my favourite, but I enjoyed them all and I'll definitely by adding this author to my watch list in the future.
Glad you liked them Labby! I'm only about 100 pages into HQ right now.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#224142 07/02/11 02:42 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
#36 - "Deception Point" by Dan Brown

#37 - "Angelology" by Danielle Trussoni (okay plot but very abrupt ending)

#38 - "Lover Unleashed" by J.R. Ward (latest in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series)

#39 - "Dark Lover" by J.R. Ward (first in the Black Dagger series - decided to start over)

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#224143 07/02/11 04:44 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Survivor’s Club – Lisa Gardner
The Other Daughter – Lisa Gardner
The Perfect Husband – Lisa Gardner
The Stone Child – Dan Poblocki

I Am Not A Serial Killer – Dan Wells

The title of this one put me off a little – I had no clue what it was about, actually thought it might be a true crime book, and I had my doubts when I opened it up, but I’m so glad I did. It could very well have been titled “Dexter: The Teen Years” instead and it has many – thoroughly enjoyable – parallels with the Dexter novels.

15 YO John Cleaver knows he’s a sociopath and has developed a set of personal rules to avoid the destiny he believes fate is pushing him towards – to become a serial killer. But now a real, honest-to-goodness serial killer is stalking his small community and a choice has to be made….

Told in the first person, it has the same wry, dark humour, the matter-of-fact attitude to murder and the honest, almost child-like bewilderment when dealing with people and the world that Dexter exhibits. I LOL’d quite a lot during this, when I wasn’t being squicked out. goofy And to my delight it’s the first in a series – which I am definitely going to have to read more of. If you enjoy Dexter, you might want to give these a try.

Anne, what did you make of Deception Point? I'm not a huge DB fan, but I thought that one was the best I'd read and actually better than TDC or AAD.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#224144 07/02/11 07:29 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I Am Not A Serial Killer – Dan Wells

The title of this one put me off a little – I had no clue what it was about, actually thought it might be a true crime book, and I had my doubts when I opened it up, but I’m so glad I did. It could very well have been titled “Dexter: The Teen Years” instead and it has many – thoroughly enjoyable – parallels with the Dexter novels.

15 YO John Cleaver knows he’s a sociopath and has developed a set of personal rules to avoid the destiny he believes fate is pushing him towards – to become a serial killer. But now a real, honest-to-goodness serial killer is stalking his small community and a choice has to be made….

Told in the first person, it has the same wry, dark humour, the matter-of-fact attitude to murder and the honest, almost child-like bewilderment when dealing with people and the world that Dexter exhibits. I LOL’d quite a lot during this, when I wasn’t being squicked out. And to my delight it’s the first in a series – which I am definitely going to have to read more of. If you enjoy Dexter, you might want to give these a try.
Um, that sounds AWESOME! I love Dexter! I might have to check these out! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#224145 07/05/11 05:43 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#8 - The Heretic Queen - Michelle Moran

I really enjoyed this one. I love the Egypt that the author paints for her readers. I have Cleopatra's Daughter on hold at the library and I am hoping it comes in soon.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard