Next Thread
Print Thread
#223827 11/02/10 12:59 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
It is mid-term election day in the United States today, and I just wanted to say to my fellow Americans that, whether or not the candidate(s) you hope will get in are elected, or even whether you - like me - didn't really like any of your choices and voted for the ones you disliked least, let's not take for granted the ability to be able to vote for our leaders, and to do so without having to worry about being shot as we head to or from the polling place.

When one looks at the history of the world, one realizes that only an extremely small percentage of the people who have ever lived have done so in a place and time where they were able to choose their leaders. May we always be grateful for and cherish the ability to vote!

Joy,
Lynn

#223828 11/03/10 05:07 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Yes!

Irrespective of one's political slant, the election on Tuesday displays one of America's strengths, that our government leaders must listen to the will of the voters.

The US is not, of course, alone in the world today in having a representative form of government, but it seems that we have a bigger impact on other countries than other countries have on us. Maybe it's because of our military, maybe because of our economic impact (for good or for ill), maybe because we make such a big deal out of it, but it seems that most of the world watches us every second November (and the months leading up to the first Tuesday of that month).

Anyway, just like two years ago, the voters have spoken. Now we need to see if our elected officials - the newly elected, the re-elected, and the ones who weren't directly involved - listen.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard