Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In fact I'll be hoping for a European top three.
I guess technically I should be cheering for Uruguay to win the consolation game, so that CONCACAF won't be totally shut out.

On the other hand, the South Americans have always beaten us (USA) on a regular basis - they whip us like a rented mule. So, on the other hand - Go Germany!

Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
IolantheAlias was asking for reasons to root for either team and I think every one we could come up with would work for both of them... At this point, I think it's just a matter of enjoying the game.

In 90 minutes, two teams that have made it this far because they deserved it the whole way through will be playing to become World Champion for the first time ever. Obviously, as a Spaniard, I'm hoping victory falls on our side, but above that, I'm really hoping we get to see a nice game.

4 years ago, Germany was having its world cup. And the country went crazy. I was living in Dresden at the time and was really amazed at the general spirit. Towns were painted black, red and yellow. There were national flags all over: in windows, balconys, cars... Everywhere you looked. And I thought 'That's the way to live a World Cup'. I must admit it got a little overwhelming after almost a month of championship...

But now, it's our streets that are filled with red and yellow. People smile more, there is a sense of happiness and a national feeling that I don't remember ever seeing (except maybe two years ago, during the final days of the EuroCup). And it is incredible. After a couple rough years, when the economic crisis has hit us pretty bad, unemployment rates are still way high, politicians are more worried about winning votes than solving the country's problems... this is giving most people a break, a reason to think about something else other than everyday problems.

And whether we lose or win in a little while, our national football team has already made history and reached a place it never had before. So, yeah, it'd be nice if we won, but I think tonight and tomorrow, and probably in days to come, Spain is going to be celebrating, no matter what happens.

Anyway... sorry for the rant, guys blush . Enjoy the game and let the best team win smile

Cris
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As for the spirit 4 years ago in Germany - that was the first time EVER that Germans were openly proud of their country. I've never before seen so many flags. The World Cup helped us to get a more relaxed attitude towards patriotism. Just imaginge this:

You are Germany

It was an advertise that was also payd by the government. I don't think this would be necessary in the USA. wink

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by bakasi:
As for the spirit 4 years ago in Germany - that was the first time EVER that Germans were openly proud of their country. I've never before seen so many flags. The World Cup helped us to get a more relaxed attitude towards patriotism.
That is somehow similar to the situation in Spain, though in Germany's case it's probably a little more extrem. Here, wearing a flag, or having it on display... has always been associated to certain political ideas, with a wrong kind of nationalism. And it's a pity. I'm happy to see we're overcoming that.

Btw, our streets, right now, look and sound amazing. Don't think anybody here is going to be able to get much sleep tonight. Work tomorrow will surely be tough wink

[Linked Image]

Cris
C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
And thus Paul the Octopus remains the most accurate known animal oracle.

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Congratulations, Spain! You deserved to win.

And I must say that the German team played very well, too, and richly deserved their bronze medals.

Oh, and I loved Paul the Octopus!

Ann

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard