Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I just want to recommend this movie with every savage fiber of my being. I've seen a lot of war movies, seen a lot of great battle flicks, but 300 outdoes ALL of them!!! Love how the Spartans kick butt. Love how they are soldiers before all else, love how they make being a fighting man the most important aspect of their lives.

The special effects made this movie awesome, but they did not overshadow the movie. It is worth every bit of the money I paid to see it and I'd go again if given the option.

notworthy hail

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Features Writer
Features Writer
Beautiful movie. A bit heavy-handed with the depiction of the Persians ("oh my God not only are they people of color, but they are also queer! *gasp* Those mystical, barbaric heathens!"). Not sure I'm comfortable with the bag of cliches they opened, but all the same the visuals were excellent. *shrug* I'd see it again.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I already started a thread about this some time ago. Here were the trailers (under media). 300 is just about the only movie I have been looking forward too seeing since Batman begins which probably means I will be disappointed. laugh It’s fun to see the leap from the gentle worldview of L&C, to this kind of gory war movie, but I don’t think it’s so strange, most of us here seems drawn by romanticism, Superman is larger the life and so is this but in a different way. And of course there is a lot of shirtless men in this movie..

Normally I’m not that keen on historical inaccuracies but this is so over the top that it probably wont matter. The only problem is that it will be awhile until Gates of Fire becomes a movie. Leonidas do say Molon labe in the movie right?

Love how the Spartans kick butt. Love how they are soldiers before all else, love how they make being a fighting man the most important aspect of their lives.
They certainly had a peculiar lifestyle, one that I believe comes through better in fiction then reality. wink

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well considering the drivel/crap hollyweird puts out these days, I was thrilled to see a movie that made me want to eat a rare-cooked bloody steak when I came out, and made me want to take martial arts lessons all at the same time. The action just floored me, sucking me in with the same kind of intensity as the battle scenes in Return of the King, and Last Samurai. I was in the military for 8 years(Air Force) and was never once in a position to go hand to hand with anyone. This movie made me want join the Marines and learn to kill bad guys with my bare hands.

As far as historical inaccuracies, I saw a documentary on the Spartans beforehand and went researching the internet afterwards, because it all sounded so cool and my judgment is that the storytellers in 300 got pretty damn accurate. Of course unless someone was there at Thermopylae at 480BC with a video camera no one will ever know for sure, but the story was strong enough to inspire all of Greece and for the rest of history to come.

I know hollyweird in today's mindset is not going to be giving this movie the accolades it deserves except grudgingly; in fact I've already read reviews which whine over the gore and "historic inaccuracies" but they're still forced to come back to the fact that it was a REALLY kickbutt, awesome movie whether they want it to be or not, and that people with a red-blooded fighting spirit (that they've been forced to bury over the last few decades) are going to see this movie in DROVES and it's going to make MILLIONS!

At least until the next Spiderman comes out!

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
As far as historical inaccuracies, I saw a documentary on the Spartans beforehand and went researching the internet afterwards, because it all sounded so cool and my judgment is that the storytellers in 300 got pretty damn accurate.
I was mostly thinking on the orcs or the rhinos or the Spartans fightning without armour shouting freedom, but I haven’t seen the movie. Many people doesn’t seem to understand that it’s based on Frank Miller’s grapic novel, not the actual battle.
That the Spartiates was a warrior breed arguable without equal in history and doesn’t need embellishment to be kick *** is another matter. (That’s the criticism of those that wanted to see the Gate’s of Fire being made a movie). But then again homosexual fascism haven’t quite the same appeal. laugh

The action just floored me, sucking me in with the same kind of intensity as the battle scenes in Return of the King, and Last Samurai.
Tom Cruise starred in the Last Samurai.

Btw have anyone read the Gates of Fire?

Polynikes stepped to the front.

"It is no hard thing for a man raised under the laws of Lykurgus to offer up his life for his country. For me and for these Spartans, all of whom have living sons, and who have known since boyhood that this was the end they were called to, it is an act of completion before the gods."

He turned solemnly toward the Thespians and the freed squires and helots.

"But for you, brothers and friends ... for you who will this day see all extinguished forever . . ."

The runner's voice cracked and broke. He choked and blew snot into his hand in lieu of the tears to whose issue his will refused to permit. For long moments he could not summon speech. He motioned for his shield; it was passed to him. He displayed it aloft.
"This aspis was my father's and his father's before him. I have sworn before God to die before another man took this from my hand."

He crossed to the ranks of the Thespians, to a man, an obscure warrior among them. Into the fellow's grasp he placed the shield.
The man accepted it, moved profoundly, and presented his own to Polynikes. Another followed, and another, until twenty, thirty shields had traded hands. Others exchanged armor and helmets with the freed squires and helots. The black cloaks of the Thespians and the scarlet of the Lakedaemonians intermingled until all distinction between the nations had been effaced.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I bought the soundtrack last night...OMIGosh is it SO awesomely intense. Like having an electric violyn plugged into your brain, or maybe closer to visceral, pulling notes straight from your gut with the hard percussion. And then the esoteric beauty of the chants and wailing, kinda brings to mind something amazonian.

I am admitting freely here I used to be a big fan Xena, (until Joss went all "girl love" with the plot lines) and one of the things I liked about it most was the music. The Greek background of 300 echoes that style; it's just awesome.

Can I say again how cool this movie was?? I gotta go see it again.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard