Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
All of the businesses that I have worked for now give us either the Friday before the holiday or Monday after if it falls on a weekend.
Yes, me too. And this year I got Christmas Monday and New Years Monday (today!) off. But we do have a technical support department that is open on some holidays as well; I am not sure if they have Christmas off or not. I am just glad I don't work in that department.

Some retail stores around here are open on Christmas Day, and many more on New Year's. Walgreens (local druggist/pharmacy/chemist), for example, was open on the 25th. Which of course means that they had to have employees there! I am *really* glad I don't work there.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Merriwether
Merriwether
It's also a tradition of many Catholics to leave up our Christmas decorations until the day of the feast.
That so threw me off when I started living with a Catholic. My family usually took the decorations down on New Years. The first year I tried to do that, I got yelled at by not only him, but his mother as well. I also got yelled at for putting the baby Jesus in the manger before Christmas Eve. Which I still think is stupid, after all, it makes everyone else stare at nothing. Now I just put a lamb in its place until Christmas Eve, so Mary, Joseph, and the Wise Men (who are actually taking a trip along the entertainment center this year instead of getting there well before Jesus) aren't staring down at nothing. goofy

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Leaving decorations up until Epiphany isn't just a Catholic thing - it's the norm in Ireland and the UK. It took me aback yesterday when friends here in Canada said they always take theirs down on New Year's Day!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
They take them off on New Year's day? That must be an "anglo" thing, I guess. Over here, people start putting the decorations out the first week of November and you can bet your turkey leftovers that they'll still be there by January 10th or 12th - easily.

Heck, some of our neighbors don't *ever* take down the Christmas lights that are hanging from the roof - they don't turn them on, mind you, but you can still see them in July for sure.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
First week of November? Well, I'll never make fun of my dad again for putting out his decorations the day after Thanksgiving! goofy

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
They have them out in stores the day after Halloween and people usually follow not very long after.

We have our Thanksgiving in October -- in fact, as far as I know, there isn't a single holiday in November up here.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Top Banana
Top Banana
Leaving decorations up until Epiphany isn't just a Catholic thing - it's the norm in Ireland and the UK. It took me aback yesterday when friends here in Canada said they always take theirs down on New Year's Day!
LOL we took ours down the next day. >_<

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Here in Sweden, tradition says you take the Christmas decorations down on the "twentieth day of Christmas" - that would be on January 13th!

Ann

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
First I have to say that I still go to school, so I have more free days.
In Austria Christmas holidays for pupils are from 24th to 6th.
For all the others, the 24th, 25th, 26th Dec is free. Then the 1st and the 6th Jan.

Lois Lane: Danger is my business!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wait a minute there!!!!

I think Epiphany is about celebrating the day when the three Magi came to Bethlehem and found Jesus there. Basically, December 25 is about celebrating the birth of Jesus according to the Gospel of Luke, and Epiphany on January 6 would be about celebrating the arrival of the Magi according to the Gospel of Matthew. Or so I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, you nailed it! We also call Epiphany the Feast of the Three Kings, and there's a few other similar names that float around.

Really, huh?

For us Orthodox Christians, Epiphany has absolutely *nothing* to do with Christmas and just happens to fall on January 6. It's celebrating the Baptism of Jesus, and the revelation of the Holy Trinity that took place that day.

I found the Wikipedia article, which explains both versions of Epiphany, and I'd link to it, but it's giving me a problem with the code. Oh well.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Is this the page you were looking for? I found one wikipedia article on it...

Edit: Ohh I see what you mean! It doesn't like the search function as part of the url.

Our Roman Catholic liturgical calendar is always a little funny, but I BELIEVE Epiphany is on the 6th as usual, and then we celebrate the baptism the Sunday after. This year since Epiphany's on a Sunday itself, I think we're celebrating the baptism the day after. Or at least as far as preaching topics goes, that's the schedule the pope follows.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ah, it doesn't like parentheses...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany and follow the Christianity link wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Features Writer
Features Writer
First I have to say that I still go to school, so I have more free days.
In Austria Christmas holidays for pupils are from 24th to 6th.
For all the others, the 24th, 25th, 26th Dec is free. Then the 1st and the 6th Jan.
Same for me. I study at the university and have holidays until Jan 7th this year. A lot of people who have to work take a week free between 24th and 1th.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard