Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#208360 10/20/06 02:54 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I've moved and where am at now I get wi fi I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it like connetion speeds and things like that. Right now I'm getting 11.0 Mbps is that good are bad?

I might have to get a wireless adpater.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
#208361 10/21/06 12:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
That is the speed of your connection between your computer and your router, which is a darned good speed. However, it's not your true connection speed. I wish we could get 11Mbps! Most high speed connections top out at 3-8Mbps, depending on your provider.

To determine your true connection speed, try using the speedtests at dslreports.com, or find out if your provider has their own speedtest site. You'll get better results from your provider's, since the servers are closer to you, and the data doesn't have to traverse the wilds of the internet.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#208362 10/21/06 09:05 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
If you have 11Mbps speed available, that's the maximum speed of the old 802.11b standard. While the theoretical speed is 11Mbps (that's megabits per second), your actual throughput is closer to what Karen mentioned.

Newer wifi standards are 802.11g and the still pending 802.11n standard. 802.11g has a theoretical limit of 54Mbps with normal throughput around 18-25Mbps. The newest standard promises breakthrough speed of perhaps 300-400Mbps, but the standard is still in the ratification process. So out in the market, you'll see Pre-N routers that are based on the draft standard.

If you're transferring files around your local network, 802.11b is rather poky with wired networks offering either 200Mbps (full-duplex 100BaseTX) or even gigabit ethernet (as you would expect 1,000Mbps or 2,000Mbps full-duplex). If you want to do this, you might prefer 802.11g instead, which costs only a slight bit more than 802.11b hardware to get you 5-10X more speed. If, as you imply, you don't actually own the wifi hardware and only have access to it, you don't have a choice to upgrade to 802.11g. But all is not lost. wink

If you never transfer files between your computers and only surf the web, 802.11b is adequate since the speed of your connection between your computer and the router only has to match your Internet connection speed. I have one of the fastest available cable modem connections that goes around 8Mbps with bursts of up to 12Mbps through Comcast Cable (for inbound connections with 768Kbps for outbound). But most cable modem speeds are between 1Mbps and 3Mbps. The odds are, your wireless speeds are faster or as fast as your Internet speed anyway.

DSL is even slower than cable unless you have Bill Gates' wallet. Dialup is glacial when compared with any wireless standard.

And also as Karen mentioned, there are websites like dslreports or cnet that have the ability to test how fast your Internet connection is to see if your wifi will slow you down. Most likely it won't.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#208363 10/22/06 01:08 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the replies your infor has help me alot. So far as long as I get the 11 mpsb I haven't notice any diffenert from my highspeed internet. I have noticed through that my signal sometimes goes from 11 to 1 or 2 then it gets slow. But usually it only goes down to that for a few minute then it climbs back to 11. I'm in a rv park so it's pretty much the only way I can get online.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard