Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#207236 06/27/06 09:59 AM
Top Banana
Online Content
Top Banana
Poor Ghana! frown I 'm sorry they are out, I was rooting for them! Their supporters were so nice with ours the day of our first game! You don't see everyday fans of two opponent teams so friendly and nice with each other!

simona smile

P.S. I'm just seeing that France won agaist Spain! eek I really thought that Spain would have won easily!
Bravo France!
Speaking about our cousins, thanks to Turham (I don't know if I'm spelling it right) for his kind words about Pessotto frown

#207237 06/27/06 05:18 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
yeah, Ghanna were my 2nd fav team, my dad was born there (but he's not african)

whoever wins this though, there should be something said about the behaviour ov the underdog suporters vs the established FB nations such as Germany and Great B

that is one thing i do not begrudge the Aussie "WE MUST SUPPORT OUR TEAM NO MATTER WHAT SPORT THEY PLAY" fans... they go all over the world to watch a team with a 1/1000000000... chance of winning the final (let alone getting into it) but there have been no arrests (or none reported in the press) regarding brawls between fans after the Japan Game, or the Brazil Game, or even the Italy Game.... which have all had press coverage over biased refs.

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#207238 06/27/06 06:21 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Well I didn't want Ghana to play against Brazil because I kind of liked them but since they played against my team I couldn't root for anything else besides the yellow shirt laugh We didn't play that well even if the score suggested the opposite. I'm glad Ronaldo put his name in soccer history as the player who most scored in a World Cup! wink

I was kind of expecting Spain to win since they had been playing so well but they're always like that, they play really well in the beginning and then they don't go beyond the second round frown

Saturday we'll play against France and this is the time for some revenge wink j/k (we lost the World Cup in 1998 to France). That's going to be a good game! I don't mind if they don't play well as long as they keep scoring and winning laugh

Keep going Brazil!!!! party

Raquel (who didn't mind that she had to wake up at 8am to watch the game laugh )

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
#207239 06/27/06 08:57 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Well I'm not rooting for any particular team in the Brazil/France game, but as a great fan of the world game, France in my mind aren't going to match it with Brazil like they did in 1998. Mind you France were the home team that year so go figure, but in Korea/Japan four years ago they didn't even score one goal and bowed out in the first round this time round they only just scraped through the group stage.

Congratulations to Ronaldo for setting a new goal scoring record.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#207240 06/30/06 08:09 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!! wave

#207241 06/30/06 10:27 AM
Top Banana
Online Content
Top Banana
Finally a very good game for Italy! smile1
Thanks and bravo to Ukraine' players and supporters for their compliments!
Next time, Italy vs Germany, wow!

simona smile

#207242 07/02/06 07:55 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Congrats to France, Germany, Portugal and Italy!!

Oh I'm frown that England is out, but I enjoyed watching the game. Oh however, I had to walk a away a few times because I hate how players flop on the field when they get touched. That's the reason why I didn't watch the last World Cup.

It was fun seeing the Portuguese community here happy and partying - congrats! My in-laws live in an area rich with Portuguese and Filipino culture and both have been rooting for the Portuguese team. The excitement is just contagious! smile

One of my most favourite moments of my recent trip was being in a pub watching England play Trinidad & Tobago in Fornby, England. That was just awesome! I hope I get to do that again in four years.

I was hoping against logic that Italy would play Enlgand. My family is English and my old best friend is Italian. We've been hoping for a match up for a long time.

party

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#207243 07/02/06 10:21 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I'm sorry that England are out, but really, they were very lucky to get as far as they did. They played a bit better in the game against Portugal, but they never looked like true winners, IMO.

Congrats to the teams who are through to the semis. smile

And a big yay! for Andy Murray at Wimbledon, who beat the No.3 seed yesterday and *did* look like a winner. Not that he'll win the championship, you understand, but he's playing well and that's what counts - I hate to see sportsmen and women letting themselves down by not performing at their usual standard. Fingers crossed for his next game!

Yvonne

#207244 07/02/06 07:39 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I'm sorry that England are out, but really, they were very lucky to get as far as they did. They played a bit better in the game against Portugal, but they never looked like true winners, IMO.
Totally! Before the game Beckham said something of the effect that he knows they are not playing great...not playing fabulous football (?), but they are at least playing well enough to win. Well, I stuck out my tongue at that!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#207245 07/04/06 11:09 AM
Top Banana
Online Content
Top Banana
!!!!!!!!!! hyper !!!!!!!!
One goal-post eek , one "cross-bar"(?)!! hyper

simona smile

#207246 07/04/06 09:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Omigosh Portugal may not win goofy ]

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#207247 07/05/06 06:41 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Congratulation, Simona - you really deserved to win the semi finals although nobody here in Germany seems to be able to admit it.... wink

A whole nation of "They'll never get beyond the preliminary round" is in mouring about the lost chance - at least they applauded when our great team went back to the hotel...

Unfortunately I heard about a lot of quarrels - initiated by both frustated Germans and arrogant Italians... let's hope, that the spirit the World Cup has created during the last weeks might help us to get over this.

I'm looking forward to the finals on Saturday and Sunday - it was a great time regardless of who will win at the end! clap

Bye,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#207248 07/05/06 10:52 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm going camping this weekend & next week.. Fun and all.. But.. I won't be able to see the finals.. frown so I guess I'll have to hear who's won about a week later than the rest of the world.. :rolleyes: laugh

#207249 07/08/06 10:57 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I have to post here again:

STRIKE - WE WON!

Okay, it was the petite finale, but nevertheless the game was absolutely gorgeous! thumbsup
A little comfort for our depressed team.

And I totally appreciate the Portuguese team which was a very fair-minded "loser" (hey, no one's a loser when in the finals...)!
(espeacially when you remember the Argentineans...)

I - who has never ever watched any soccer game - loved this World Cup and I'm lloking forward seeing the Germans win in 2010 laugh clap

Bye,

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#207250 07/09/06 10:08 AM
Top Banana
Online Content
Top Banana
CAMPIONI DEL MONDO!
VIVA L'ITALIA!

party party party
party party party
party party party

#207251 07/09/06 10:28 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I loathe football. I just want that understood. <g> The only thing I loathe more than football is watching football.

But, of course, it's been impossible to get away from these past few weeks and I'll admit to having had the odd fleeting moment of interest here and there (though I'll deny it if you tell anyone) while Stuart's been watching this or that match and I was rooting for Italy after their semi final win which inspired even me to be almost on the edge of my seat.

But my main reason for posting is that I just want to say a huge congratulations to Germany. What a truly wonderful competition you hosted and what a terrific atmosphere you created. Well done!

Oh and, yes - congrats to Italy too! <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#207252 07/09/06 10:39 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Congrats, Italy!

I watched the game from the 40th minute and onwards. I was rooting for them, though I'm not exactly sure why laugh France was giving them a hard time, that was obvious, but I was sure that, if they made it to the penalties, they'd win. And so they did!

VIVA L'ITALIA! party party party party

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#207253 07/09/06 10:59 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks Labby,

I too think that our country did a terrific job of hosting this event and it is so nice to hear all the praise from around the world. Sport really has a way of unifying people, which is exactly waht happened in Germany over the past 5 weeks. And one can never get enough good press. laugh

I was so pleased that Germany won third place, it almost felt like we won the cup. Amazing!!
But congratulations also to Portugal and France. And of course to Italy, the 2006 World Cup winner. Even after our loss to Italy I wanted their team to win the final. And they did! I even placed a bet and won a bowl of ice cream from our cook. <g>

Anyway, I wasn't able to watch the last two games because I was at work but I made my boss call me evertime someone scored so I was at least kept up to date. smile Of course I didn't tell him I was also following the game online. wink

Natascha

#207254 07/10/06 08:22 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Whoah I did manage to see the last two games (on a huuuugge screen eek ) and I just wanted to say; congratz, Germany & Italy (and of course Portugal and France too.. 4th and 2nd is also very good smile )

party

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard